Hero upgrade scaling

Does it bother anyone else that the heroes of coop commanders don’t all level with upgrades? For example, Alarak’s weapons / armor / shield level will always say “0”, even while your other units get the standard +1 or +2 to their respective upgrades. This ends up resulting in a coop hero looking separate and disconnected from the rest of the army.

In my view, either all hero’s should benefit from the purchased upgrades to shields / armor / etc, or their tooltips should all resemble dehaka’s, where there is no slot for upgrade levels.

This change is less so about buffing the damage or survivability of coop hero’s, but instead eliminating a minor source of visual disjunction.

4 Likes

alarak is like the strongest commander in regular brutal and the worst commander in brutal mutations… in general.

just play tychos :stuck_out_tongue:

Interestingly, at one point it was patched so that hunter killers always show 3/3.

Zeratul scales though. Tychus’ crew are technically heroes and they scale. No other heroes in the game scale though.

1 Like

Doesn’t bother me at all.

I’d rather the “give or take” to compliment commander balance than a “all or none” thing for visual purposes.

If you consider Fenix champions heroes (they have heroic tag I believe), they also scale.

It used to bother me that mengks’ elites didn’t benefit from upgrades, but since troopers aren’t viable anymore outside bunkers thanks to the latest nerf to medivac it’s not that big of a deal anymore. Now it just bothers me how few options there are.

Nerfs to Medivac? What are you even on about? Mengsk’s Medivacs haven’t been nerfed lately. If anything, they were buffed the last time they got changed.

Patch 5.0.0 (the Prestige) patch fixed a bug that was causing them to be much more effective healers than intended:

• Fixed a bug where Imperial Intercessors with the Dual Resuscitators upgrade would heal more quickly than intended.

That isn’t really nerfing though. That’s bug fixing.

…so to be clear, you’re saying you knew about that recent bug fix affecting the strength of Mengsk’s Intercessors, and knew Tektaara could be referring to that, but decided to obscurely try to argue that a bug fix negatively affecting something’s strength doesn’t count as a nerf?

3 Likes

I don’t consider bug fixing to be nerfing. If something was doing something unintentionally, and it got changed, it isn’t a nerf. It’s just a bug fix.
Was it a very strong bug? Yes. But a bug is a bug is a bug and should be patched out. I had forgotten about that bug fix, since I usually pay more attention to things that actually get hard changed (Nova’s Liberator damage, changes to prestiges, changes to research costs, etc.)

Is that what happened to Nikara as well? I heard at one point Nikara was supposedly able to self heal herself, but it was patched out as a bug fix, but kinda defeated the point of having a dedicated healer that sucks at healing herself with bad ai. Tychus does have some of the best healing of any commander for sure in Rattle, but Nikara really feels clunky on her own imo unless im messing around with double healer 18-20 Thor army.

Even then it still feels like Rattlesnake feels like the star in that comp. While NIkara just helps when the revitalizers are on cd or to help pocket heal, but i really dislike that she doesn’t have any good self heals/regen for a dedicated healer on her own. I don’t think she’s bad over nothing or leveling, but I think a little small hp regen would really at least help the people who ignore all abilities to A move their Grenadeless Tychuses and Healless Nikaras into siege tank and zergling fire… If you can press a 2nd button, rattlesnake really isn’t that hard to use.

1 Like

She was able to heal objectives as well, which was… Kind of cheesy, not going to lie.

Hmm yeah that would sound pretty weird. Yeah I could see that being kinda cheesy. Honestly i just feel like a soft problem with her though is that Tychus technically has such a raw low dps unless using Gun Outlaws or Mind controlled units, that although she technically has better early healing, you end up being tighter on hp since 60 x2 healing just doesn’t keep up with 1000 dps damage armies. You benefit more from ending fights faster and putting the upgrades you’d need in the double healing beam + 100% heals into more damage, but healing objectives really sounds cheesy esp if it worked on Miner evacuation or Mist Opportunities, and 10000% so if it healed Temple of the past.

Still though im not really sure what you can do with Nikara, Like some prestieges might use her, esp Lone wolf or mutations or as a 2nd healer for p3 all in mc army. The P3 odin + mc is really slept over imo. Being able to drop the odin for threat in the middle of a army so you can mc the 0 armor targets really helps aggro a ton going from 3-6 living mcs to 10-20.

It solves the early raw dps problem of the midgame and lets you build a greedy high dps hero + mc army lategame. But even then, im typically using Nikara to help keep a extra 5-6 Thors alive, (each of which individually, can do the dps of 1-2 Sams), Never really as a main healer outside of Mutations/leveling after Rattle is available. But i know some people go hardcore on her, and I don’t see it as unfunctional but i don’t get all the hype of people that do. I don’t know what niche a normal Nikara fills after rattle snake, for afkers she’s not any more afk, active play Smart revitalizers help more. In Rattlesnake 1st you can help do 1st objectives or push faster, while you’re still at like 100% hp and shouldn’t be ever dying with rattle either. (minus taking like 8 reaver bombs to the face or Someone getting sniped by the burst damage of 8 liberators).

Still though it is kinda interesting to hear of all the neat bugs people remember with them. And kinda weird how it seemed like healers are always the ones to get looked at or bug fixxed. Kinda seems hard to keep track or on tabs of that stuff though.

It’s funny how Intercessor strong heal bug is fixed but its dumb AI still remain unfixed where it only stares into the horizon while troopers and RG are screaming for healing.

At least Nikara has to deal with 4 tough crews but Intercessors have to deal with fragile army.

Ah, yes. Dehaka’s Devouring one buff also heals the evacuation ships. Pretty neat stuff.

1 Like

As much as it bothers me it is just the way that is (SC1 Heroes do recieve benefit).
I think it is because the devs wanted to separate heroes with their army, besides all heroes have mastery points or own special upgrades to increase their power.

1 Like

Or, just don’t play with heroes :wink:

I refer to chokers as tentacles, always warning my ally if Nova, and I refer to the imperial intercessor fix as a medivac nerf because that’s just the way I see it.

Mengk’s army consists of either super fragile units or units that are super costly to lose, and a medivac with only a heal and a very short pickup range and slow unload speed to keep everything from dying. Is a plain rate of 9hp/s really up to co-op standards? With an army like Mengks has? A full hp trooper in the absence of any other damage source will not survive a psi-storm, even if a medivac is there to start healing immediately, it absolutely must move out. It now takes ~58.3 seconds to heal a level 3 marauder from the brink of death back to full hp. Even vikings are easier to heal although it will cost a fortune. “The fortress is going critical! We gotta end this assault, now!” Just a minute, my marauders are hurt.

The healing AI is not an issue, just use the boost to increase acceleration speed unless that’s also a bug and do the usual stutter step. It’s the rate of healing without other gimmicks like shields or cloak that other commanders have making it very difficult to keep a low enough mortality rate depending on mutation and enemy comp. I’m aware of the low build time of troopers but just as I’m not a fan of slim pickings I’m not a fan of having to pick up weapons from all over the place which is much worse since a different and unarmed trooper must be used for each weapon. Lost XP is lost forever, and I lost more than 1 game building massive amounts of elites using the resources of my ally who has left the game before finally realising that it’s a bad idea to spread levels. I used to almost always have an army of some kind in addition to an arsenal of cheese, but since the nerf pure cheese strategies have become quite common. One game on oblivion express I built so many artillery that I decided to have only 2 troopers man them to make them more supply efficient. At least I’m using vikings now though, they go well with cheese.

By the way, Mengks is not the only commander with a bugged double heal. Raynor’s double heal stacks with the primary heal. Two medics healing two targets heal at roughly 1.5 the rate of one medic healing one target, which is funny I was expecting it to be 1.9 but it’s definitely bugged and it’s never been fixed. Abathur’s nests were not supposed to be targetable according to the tooltip but that’s only the case with nests that have respawned. And while they have been considered OP at times according to the patch notes they’ve never been considered bugged as far as I can remember. So were medivacs bugged or OP? Unclear.

2 Likes