Help me understand Zagara P3

Ok so I’ve just recently finish leveling Zagara to mastery p3, and I just don’t get it. I know how it works and plays, but I don’t get people’s opinion of it. I feel like I’m missing something.

Before Zagara I leveled up Raynor P1, liked it, but did some reading and tried the super macro and micro focus of Raynor P0. I agree with people that P0 is stronger when you micro and macro till your fingers snap off. Seeing how my opinion changed I studied up for Zagara, and everyone seems to lament that people don’t realize that her P3 is super good over her P1. Eager to see what I’m missing I level her all the way to Level 15 P3 and… she’s ok… I don’t see the hype or secret power.

In terms of early game Zagara falls in with the annoyance of Kerrigan, Nova, and other hero characters who sometimes don’t come out fast enough for the first wave. A minor issue, but still Zagara’s P1 nets you 16-24 FREE banelings with mastery before the first wave hits, and no first wave has ever survived against it. P3 Zagara can also nab some free banelings but less, and some waves can be difficult to beat with 4-8 no mastery banelings since you probably went for Roach Mastery.

Secondly Zagara can beat many missions solo, but when she comes against a fortified wall she can’t. I know that you’re supposed to bring her army along in those cases to soften it up for her, but in most cases P1 swarm of free banelings and scourges can accomplish more. Really my original bright-eyed thought was she can spam out multiple hunter killer squadrons with all those benefits, but no the reality is it’s just one squad.

I don’t have spreadsheets, and most of my opinion comes from what I’ve experienced. Looking at other people’s post about P3 and reading about how they left their partner in the dust and they’re coop buddy rage quitting because they can’t do anything made me think Zagara P3 could solo all the hybrids at the final check point on the ascendant mission. In reality she’s worse than P2 Super Gary. Also the only time I felt those qoutes of leaving my partner in the dust true was when I was P1 and just Scourge swarming objectives before my partner could get to them.

So I’m asking am I missing something? Please send help.

Good vs Void Rifts and for some weird cheesy stuff.
In normal situation it is just bad, worse than P0 and P1 (IMHO).
Maybe it really shines in hands of Micro Gods, but I’m definitely not one of them.

Have you tried with baneling attack damage? It does affect Zagara’s banelings and I’ve found it’s better.

True. But Super dooper Gary is crazy powerful and generally not a fair comparison for any other hero.

I’d agree that it’s generally easier to play P1 well over P3. With P3 you can’t afford to lose units since they’re more expensive, and you need to be pretty much constantly using Zagara, and in the right places, to get the most out of it. Perhaps there’s some videos of this. Her deep tunnel is the main benefit so you’ll want to look for places where this is rewarded, for example Void Rifts. She also pairs well with a commander who can benefit from that ability, for example Artanis, Vorazun, Kerri, Alarak, etc.

Try this: Reverse clear SoA by having Zag deep tunnel and ally drop in a topbar, etc.

You can still make an army with her. They just cost a little bit more. She is still very powerful and you can cheese a lot of missions by burrowing in the back and taking out everything from behind.

1 Like

Being real, she is not strong. It’s just that p3 is better than what other zagara prestiges have which is not much. Also you don’t go roach mastery with p3, bane mastery not only buffs the army banes but also the bane barrage ability.
People’s post about zagara being strong in the early game or being a super strong hero come more from how easy it’s to play her and how you can feel like you’re doing something while throwing away all your units. In reality she is at the bottom half of the speedrun tables and a complete disaster in the mutation solo table (tied at the last place with hh currently)

But anyway, in coop having a hero unit is good, and having a stronger hero unit is better, forget the mobility, that’s whatever, it’s more for players that are often out of position, the real strenght of p3 zagara is having permanent hunter killer uptime.

1 Like

HUH I didn’t think that affected them I’ll give that a shot.

I’ve never really though of use deep tunnel that way since attacking anything from behind just drags all the defenders to you or atleast that’s what happens on lock mission. I’ll try that out when the opportunity arises.

Greatly appreciated.

I wonder how things would change if Zagara P3 was finished.
Of course she would be affected by her Frenzy, already a good thing, but if it was finished properly, maybe there would be more?

Zagara’s P3 is the strongest out of all her prestiges but requires that you actively be using her otherwise you should might as well be using P1.

2 Likes

P3 Zagara on her own is very strong but you should’nt skip on the army and it’s upgrades since she benefits alot from it. 30% zerg eva/15% frenzy, max baneling and wether u want to be tankier with max energy and heath or hybrid with 20atk and 10% regen and health. Consider the roaches as just an emergency or extra dmg. Sometimes u can leave your army on 1 spot and use her for a multi atk situation if u have the roaches available. Lastly…deep tunnel is quite the bargain

Doesn’t P3 Frenzy only affects Hunter-Killers right so might as well go for Evasion Mastery?

1 Like

Frenzy affects Hunter killers and roaches, there are instances where having just that slight buff is very helpfull when Zagara is apart from her army.

Considering P3 can do many things that other alternative prestige cannot. (That being faster timing, reaching places where you cannot.) I’d say it’s strong enough. People expecting it to be immaculately stronger than some arbitrary line just need to realign expectations I suppose.

Advice: use tunnel often. Upkeep Hunter Killers. And spam bane barrage sparingly and appropriately (this is the biggest offender).

There are very few prestiges (like Alarak P3) that overshadow not only their alternative prestige choices but other COs.

Anything you can do with P0, you can do better with P3. P1 is entirely different in approach. And P2 is just… let’s not talk about it lol. Much like the Raynor P0 vs P1 comparison, that’s how P0 and P3 compared (but in reverse). And it isn’t to say P1 Raynor or P0 Zagara is bad at all. They still shine in situations but just comparatively less.

1 Like

Just like for Artanis P3, the exception is “buffing your ally”.

Though to be fair, frenzy doesn’t come up as often as GS, and can easily be when you aren’t pushing or aren’t pushing into something that needs the buff.

I’d say you only lose a couple of big push moments with frenzy if your partner is P1 or 3 Zags.

I hope they update Zag P3 a bit.

Make so her Hunter-killer no longer has a time limit, she can keep spawning them more and more as long as you can keep them alive.

Compare to her other Prestige , P3 is the weakest of the bunch and capable of dealing the least amount dmg.
P1 can spam with endless tide of ling, and P2 literally float like 10k mineral and gas since your unit is very very VERY tanky and very cheap for how tanky and good DPS they are, you can even frenzy them for even more dps.
I mean…compare to Alarak P3 or Tychus which has a similar playstyle(focus on single hero unit). They are much better compare to her.

Ah, it’d be months later till I got through her prestiges.

For me, P1 will be my go-to for Brutations (including this week’s #303/Think Fast).
P2 is just fun to play as an alternative play style
P3 is just fun to play as yet another alternative play style
I may try her P0 again if I have time, but I really am digging the specialties offered by her non-P0’s, along with other COs.

It’s just fun on her P3 to spam HKs and Roaches. 33% faster cd does add up over the course of even shorter missions. And being able to Deep Tunnel to intercept waves at that.

Only for those who don’t know how to play her. :wink:

I must have read this wrong. Lmao… did a double triple quadruple take… nope, didn’t read this wrong. :rofl:

Yeah P3 is the best and most fun for the majority of games. P1 is great too but slightly behind followed by P2 and then P0 I would say.

Sorry, but to me, She doesn’t feel much different from P0. Since she is still mostly the same as P0 but stronger. The only thing that I really like about P3 Zag is Deeptunnel, which helps her a lot. In terms of gameplay, she is still the same old Zag I’ve played her for many years.