GPU not using its full potential

I had this problem for over a year now. I have 30 fps in a standard melee game on max graphics already at the beginning. Before that i had over 100 fps and that was with an even older graphics card. The lag wasnt caused by the new graphics card because it already was there before I changed it. I now have a rtx 2080 and an i7 6700k Cpu. My Cpu runs sc2 at 30-40% and my gpu runs sc2 on 15% of its potential. Here is the interesting part, while in the menus my gpu uses about 25-40% to load but when I play ingame it only uses 15%. I have no clue why thats happening. I read a lot of posts and about 5 of them had the exact same problem. All of them had a high end Pc but only had 30 fps ingame.
I already tried a lot of things but none of them worked so far.

Hey coocki,

Let’s get a DxDiag so we can take a closer look:

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.

3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.

4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save

5. Paste the DXdiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the “code” button (</>). That’ll make the information much more readable.

It should look like this.

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

that sounds like a power problem. it does suggest that your do not have enough power. what power supply do you have?

Pastebin link: G7qNLYw0
I couldnt post the link directly in here so here is the end part you need.

As for the Power supply, I dont know the Voltage right now but I wouldnt think its the problem because there are other games with way more requirements and they work perfectly fine.

different games push different parts of the hardware differently. starcraft 2 push both the cpu and the gpu heavily. some games however push only the gpu heavily. those games would therefore require less power than starcraft 2. your pastebin link turned up negative though. i suggest posting the entire link with an x first. that will trick the forum into thinking that it is not a link.

pastebin . com/G7qNLYw0

Ereignisname: LiveKernelEvent

Antwort: Nicht verfĂźgbar

CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:

P1: 141

It looks like you are getting 141 errors, which are TDR errors. You can read more about this here. In most cases, this is caused by old/corrupted drivers, conflicts with other programs or overheating.

Let’s remove the old driver files by using the third party driver remover DDU. You can find a guide on using this program here. After this, pick up the latest driver from here.

Run the installer and select the Nvidia Driver option only. Then I would recommend doing a Custom install and selecting the ‘Perform a clean installation’ option which will remove the older files.

Once the driver install has finished, change the Nvidia settings so that the game is using the Nvidia card:
• Right click on the desktop and launch NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D settings.
• Go to Program Settings tab.
• Select the game to change the graphics processor under “Select a program to customize”. If it’s not is not available, select the specific game from the drop down list.
• Select your “Prefer maximum performance” graphics card under “Power management”.

Then reset the game settings to set everything back to default and test the game with nothing else running in the background temporarily.

1 Like

I did everything listed but it didnt fix the problem. The Gpu is still on 15% usage and I still have 30 FPS

here is one thing you could try in windows power settings: reduce the cpu power to 50% and see if that helps your gpu gets more power.

What’s your performance like in other games? The more demanding, the better for troubleshooting purposes.

In any other game i always have over 60 fps atleast. Games like the Ark, Rust or any Vr game run smoothly without problems.

Alright I found the fix from another post actually. It is because of MSI afterburner. I dont know why but it causes my game to have 30 fps. I now sit at over 100 fps although my GPU is still only at 40% usage but Im totally fine now.