Game Lags then computer crashes

Hi, this might not be a starcraft issue, but I figured I’d start here in case someone has had a similar experience. Starcraft starts up normally, then a few seconds into game play it lags down to one frame per second. Closing out of the game takes forever, but once both the game and battlenet are closed the internet is still slow, with a speed test saying the computer is at 2 Mbps when it is usually over 100. The internet stays this slow for five to ten minutes before I get the blue screen of death and the computer shuts off. The internet speed is back to normal once I turn the computer back on.

A few details:

.I have windows 8
.This is a six year old computer, but it has never had a blue screen of death crash before.
.Starcraft worked fine about three weeks ago. Since then both the computer and the game had an update.
.I’ve been able to replicate the sequence of starting starcraft, lag, slow internet, and computer crash four times.
.I haven’t had any other problems with any other games (yet).
.My computer is connected to the internet directly through an ethernet cable. I have another computer and a cellphone connected via wifi and neither experience any internet slowdown while my computer is struggling.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. So any help would be great. Thank you.

Hey Spedidimus,

I want to start out by saying since the system is blue screening a local tech or even Microsoft support (since they can read the blue screen crashes) would be the best place to go as that does put it out of our scope of support. But I do have a couple of things I can cover before doing that.

You mentioned you are on Windows 8, do you have it updated to 8.1? If not you do need to update it.

Let’s reset the settings for SC2 by deleting the variables file. This is located in My Documents, go ahead and delete the entire SC2 folder or you can just delete the variables file.

Make sure any and all overlays are turned off. This includes Discord, Overwolf, Twitch, Nahimic, any of those programs if you have them.

Lastly, system scans. There are a few you can run before reaching out to a tech to see if the system picks up any issues.
Running ScanDisk & Defrag
Repairing Windows system Files
Memory Diagnostic Tool

I do hope these help you and that the blue screens can be fixed either with the scans or local tech support.