For all those "I def" guys on DoN

I usually answer “we should both defend, and both attack”, if I see a Karax player just laze around during the day, I tell them to make units.
At the very least they can send out an energizer early on and have it follow my army.

Or I ask a Swann player to build a Hercules so they can use their tanks during the day.

1 Like

theres also the other way around, where they ask you to def. Happens ofcourse if i play my karax with p2 :slight_smile:
And then their hero gimps around somewhere way back in their base and i have to defend with zealots yay

I got asked as a P3 Artanis to handle defense other night. I kind of refused. I counter offered to solo night 1 but we’d be sharing attacking / defending after that.

I definitely agree it’s slower at night, but the overall mission is quicker. For every building destroyed at night (say, 2/3rds of those that could have been destroyed during the day), that’s that many less buildings when the day does come.

3 Likes

My only complaint with the map is sometimes not having enough space in the base to build stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve got real good news you you then! Clean out the bottom left of the map and build down there, can be done day 2 easy.

2 Likes

Wait, they won’t attack you there?

1 Like

That’s right, the bottom left is totally free from harm after being cleared out, outside of mutators, naturally. It’s the area where the big infested building is.

2 Likes

Yes! I typically do this as Raynor or (non-Zeratul) Protoss. So much space for mass orbitals, barracks, pylons and warp gates. As a bonus, the Spotters don’t usually go there either so I can actually have supply during the night without clogging up the base.

2 Likes

You have no idea how I wanna test this out lol, probably leave my supply depot/pylons there with 1-2 static defense just to make sure.

Heh, to be honest I’m not sure how Spotter ai would like having static down there. It might actually make it less safe down there.

Now that you mentioned it, they do are attracted by static def, makes sense.

1 Like

I used to build static defense there when I was first trying it out, and it didn’t really make a difference; Spotters ignored it completely.

This is like the 4th or something topic by OP about how gruesomely bad DoN is and how horrible some allies are.

Why not just opt out of it? Save yourself some unpleasantries. Debating about what is more optimal, who carried who, or what numbers show is great and all… but that won’t actually change those players’ behaviour/gameplay. And neither will this topic.

Just play your game and up your game. If you can’t defend and move out, then get better at that. Once you do, you won’t need to care if someone says “I def”.

Full defense is a good concept and I don’t consider it “being carried” as long as you understand you will secure your ally’s buildings and units (workers) as well as the entrances. If maps would put more emphasis into clearly defined roles, you might see more cooperation instead of solo carrying (but people have a problem with players who can’t hold their own - including me).

1 Like

That “I def” guy who didn’t made any defenses for the top area on night 2, or can’t even hold bottom somehow…

This is a weird bit of vitriol to find here. Didn’t you complain about DoN before too?
Might be remembering wrong. Anyways, I’ve been both the guy who wrecks houses and the guy who defends. Sometimes both just go for the houses, which can work, but as a general rule, having someone to defend is the safest bet and you still get it done at max night 5.

It’s just a cooperative strategy when all is said and done on DoN.

If you’re going Strike Fighters or EOs, you’d of course rather your ally took care of defence. And that’s regardless of using static of using an army. The end result of finishing the mission prior to N3 is your real goal (or as early as you can, whatever tickles your fancy). The point to achieving that is so simple - just type, “hey, I’m going x strat, can you defend?” or “okay, sounds good (u def)”.

Expecting your ally to magically know something that they clearly don’t (ie. they are just new or just not skilled enough) is just unreasonable. In my perspective, at least the dude who said, “I def”, communicated and did his part. Whether he followed through or not is another matter. On the other hand, sitting there doing your own thing, then when mission fails and blame other people, that’s the dumbest thing to do.

I prefer the “I def” guys, more than the “I will go out at night and kill stuff, and leave my Zagara partner to defend all entrances” guys.

I’m not sure why you are replying to this person. The map is fine.

It is common for one to go out to attack and the other stays in base. The work is divided fairly, so each player can focus on their tasks. Even in day time the defender can buff up base defense for the coming night while attacker clears the map.