Fix This Weekly Mutation!

nuke can directly hit my main mine field literally within first minute. Hello Devs???
sorry Idk how to upload pictures in here.

We probably need a mod to move this to the bugs forum. (Not sure if you are able to move it yourself haha.)

================================================================================

Just to support his claim, I donā€™t think itā€™s the entire mine field.

I have 1 mineral patch which keeps getting hit, I missed the screenshot opportunity, but I managed to take another 2 more to show the before and after.

Before (21 probes):
https://imgur.com/a/VpZ1YWF

After (20 probes):
https://imgur.com/a/OSMGCkq

I donā€™t think thereā€™s much to fix.
Itā€™s like having the worst set of mutations (exact content vary with individual opinions) with the Wheel of Misfortune mutation, itā€™s a (bad) luck thing.
Should not happen too often, and you can agree with your ally to just drop that game and retry.

*https://imgur.com/a/4SvtSFU* Here it is

Yep, so it is 1 mineral patch.

Or in this case, yours plus mine, 2 mineral patches for 2 different nukes.

The only thing is that your post gives an impression that your entire mineral line was nuked, which isnā€™t the case.

the thing is the game only last for 2 minutes so IDK if there could be a nuke hits more mineral field. and another issue will be SCVs always look for the mineral fields to mine, which means they will keep going for THAT nuked one automatically regardless.

It might happen once at the beginning and you might lose 1 worker. Itā€™s not a bug. I had it yesterday, itā€™s just when you first start, the nukes have nowhere else to go except near your min line.

I donā€™t think the probable areas for nuke is dependent on your units / buildingsā€™ placement though.

I guess it really depends on the developersā€™ intention. Iā€™m leaning more on the side where your main base area is not intended to have any nukes touching. If itā€™s intended as an RNG, then maybe.

Yes it is. If youā€™re down on low ground getting ready for trains, nukes will target your army. And if you arenā€™t watching them, you will lose your whole army.

Ah, but that is because nukes are constantly everywhere isnā€™t it?

This is different from those with the beams that shoot dependent on army placement.

But benefit of doubt is, I havenā€™t been monitoring it, so I canā€™t confirm. Therefore you may be right.

Yes the purifier beams are different. One starts out on the map far away and slowly comes towards you. On brutal, a second one comes eventually.

The nukes can happen more frequently. You have to either have your camera on army, or keep them up on the plateau while you are macroing. If you donā€™t see the red circle and move out of it, it can be really bad.

I think he means orbital strikes. Those target playerā€™s units, or more specifically the position where the playersā€™ units will be when the strike lands, based on current position, direction and speed.

Nukes are fired every 2 seconds on brutal so I donā€™t think they specifically target playersā€™ units, it would be nigh impossible to play with that.

Have you played this week yet? They do target. Iā€™ve even seen transferring probes in between the expos resulting in red circles showing up.

Blizzard is trying to teach you to babysit your army while out on the map.

I have checked the replay of the last time when going nuclear was active (september 2020) and unless they changed it since then (I doubt), I can confirm that the nukes DO NOT specifically target players, but instead hit RANDOM spot on the map.

They seem to be limited to 50 distance (range of unupgraded ESO) of any players units/structures (but on this map that means anywhere except the very edges) and obviously avoid (more or less) safe zones, but I wouldnā€™t call that targeting.

When you say that you saw circles near your probe, remember. The nukes are launched every 2 seconds on Brutal (it takes 5 seconds to land, so 2-3 are always in the process of landing). Thatā€™s 30 every minute, 750 over the 25 minute game. So the chance of one, or even all 3 circles at some point showing where your army or probe happens to be is pretty high.

It seems that you have not read that correctly.

1. I wrote brutal, not normal

2. Even CtG wrote that nukes are placed randomly

3. Or you can check Maruroā€™s page https://www.maguro.one/p/mutators.html#GoingNuclear

4. Or you can do the work and check the replay yourself, using Amonā€™s vision so you can see where the nukes are landing on the whole map.

Try some other arguments than insults.

I do work during the week, I play brutations on weekend, so I havenā€™t played this one yet. But itā€™s not the first time we see Going Nuclear.

Instead of calling me names, can you please provide a link to the post where CtG or someone else trustworthy said and/or provided proof that nukes do specifically go after your units?

Wow you are very impolite for arguing so long, into Friday i might add, and it isnā€™t until now that youā€™re admitting to not even playing the mutation yet. My god man.

The nukes either fall at random distances from randomly chosen units or they are completely random, they do not directly target units. Youve been pointed to two resources on the nuke mutator and been told to watch replays to see that this is the case. Then you claim people are impolite as you harangue, insult and taunt them.

Sorry but if you even payed attention to DURING a game youd see that the nukes often land all around your army. If they directly targeted there would never be any that fall around you. And as you were told, you can clearly see in replays that they land all over the place including way out where your units are not present.

Iā€™ll go there now and pose the question to everyone. Be sure to tune in. While we wait, here the Going Nuclear Mod:
https://i.postimg.cc/mZpDXq4p/Untitled.png

EDIT: And heres a comment line in the modā€™s code:
https://i.postimg.cc/FRyrxrvw/Untitled.png

Soā€¦
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiIzQ1wrS9B4XYHy8/source.mp4

1 Like

Thats all you can muster upā€¦ after your behavior here? Big enough to give a lickin but not big enough to take a lickin.

Looked around in Editor and found in Mutators (COOP)/Events/CT_NukeSpawn:

General -For each integer SafetyInt from 1 to 100 with increment 1, do (Actions)
            Actions
                Variable -Set SpawnLocation = (Random point in SpawnRegion)
                General -If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
                    If
                        Or
                            Conditions
                                (Pathing type at SpawnLocation) != Ground
                                ------- Stay clear of player start locations
                                (Distance between SpawnLocation and (Start location of player 1)) <= 25.0
                                (Distance between SpawnLocation and (Start location of player 2)) <= 25.0
                                (Number of Living units in (Any units in (Region(SpawnLocation, 15.0)) owned by player Any Player matching Required: Resource (Harvestable); Excluded: Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount)) >= 1
                                (SpawnLocation is in (CT_MutatorSafetyZone())) == True
                                ------- Cast near-ish player units
                                And
                                    Conditions
                                        (Count of Any units in (Region(SpawnLocation, 50.0)) owned by player 1 matching Excluded: Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount) == 0
                                        (Count of Any units in (Region(SpawnLocation, 50.0)) owned by player 2 matching Excluded: Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount) == 0
                    Then
                        General -Continue
                    Else
                        Environment -Execute Mutator Nuke Persistent at SpawnLocation from player 3
                        General -Break

Based on that, I would say nukes target points:

• Must be somewhere ground units can travel
  • Must be at a distance of 25 of starting locations
  • Must be at at distance of 15 of harvestable resource
  • Must not be in safety zone
  • Must be within a range of 50 of at least 1 unit of P1 or P2

I also looked at effects, at MutatorNukeDamage, and assuming the 3 ā€œCEffectDamage_AreaArray_Radiusā€ donā€™t overlap, but rather are measured from each other, then adding 4,6 and 8 give 18, so if thatā€™s the range of explosion, then up to 3 of distance can be on minerals (since the distance from them must be at least).

Maybe that will helpā€¦if it display in a sane way, since that copy-paste crashed the preview :stuck_out_tongue: