Favorite SC1 Campaign/Mission and Why

Title says it all, I’d probably say The Iron Fist and To Chain the Beast, though I also really like all of the micro missions, with P, PX, and TX as well as Dark Origin being better than the rest imo.

I really like the puzzle/stealth aspects of the micro missions and the ability to take my time, though they are generally pretty easy in the base campaigns as opposed to custom ones. I like The Iron Fist because it is just you and the UED completely subjugating the entire sector and demolishing everything in your way, culminating in the epic siege/defense in To Chain the Beast, even if you can just snipe the Cerebrates and Overmind by skirting the edge of the map with your fleet.

2 Likes

Probably last mission in Rebel Yell.

1 Like

Return to Char has always been a favorite of mine, lots of different ways to go about winning and getting to control a Protoss and a Zerg base at once is a lot of fun. I know you can mind control a drone in the last mission but unless you are clearing the map (which I don’t like to do because it makes the countdown so boring) it’s not really worth it.

3 Likes

Basically my thoughts as well. I compulsively mind control that drone though, because i love controlling multiple races simultaneously. I try to do it in vs AI games too when i can get away with it.

2 Likes

None? For me, a zoomer, original campaign is pain in that hole. Because mission designs is just making me get bored or at least dissatisfied with game.
But still, there are some OK missions, like when we destroy enemy brood in Zerg Original Campaign.

I have to choose just one? There’s so many great missions, both in terms of story and gameplay…

I’ve always really enjoyed the 3-way-war aspect of “Emperor’s Flight” to the point that I kinda wish the series did that more often.

3 Likes

Probably Eye of the Storm, last mission of vanilla Starcraft . 1st Overmind felt like a worthy final boss, and it’s nice getting to control Jimmy’s boys along with Tassadars forces.

Return to Char in the middle of Protoss BW campaign is an underrated mission. You get to control both toss and zerg; kind of neat.

Objectively Choosing Sides (5th Protoss mission in vanilla SC) is a bad mission but I like it. I like playing it with a bunch of scouts too, even though it is sub optimal .

New Gettysburgh is fun, and probably most iconic mission story wise in the history of Starcraft.

All the micro missions are fun except for the infested Terran mission (mission 6 of Protoss campaign) . I like puzzle micro maps, not gotcha micro maps.

Eye of the Storm is definitely up there for me, might even be top 3 missions in the franchise. TBH it is one of if not the only time where controlling multiple factions really worked and wasn’t just kinda a chore. Like in Return to Char you really only need the protoss, I just use the zerg as another base I can mine from.

If I recall bottom right is easier in Return to Char because there is no lurkers on that path.

I like turtling, making a giant army of gateway units (Zealotb, Dragoon, Archon) and Zergling / Hydralisk and just a clicking down near the bottom right objective and watching them just mo through everything.

It’s not optimal but I just enjoy watching that many units steam roll towards the objective, SC1 pathing issues in all.

Fair, my problem with that mission is that I know I can just make a group or two of speed droporlords with a drone in each of them and doomdrop the Khalis for a free win.

Flashbacks to Dragoons (and Goliaths) getting stuck in… everything.

4 Likes

I have a tic that my friends love to call me out on. Namely clicking my mouse way more than is necessary while playing games on the PC. Looking back on it I’m about 80% sure it comes from having to obsessively make sure my Dragoons actually moved where I wanted them to move.

1 Like

Many who have played (not only) older RTS games have the same habit. I mostly do it in old Dota and AoE 2 DE. Melee pathing still has something left to be desired.

3 Likes

As someone who still plays and enjoys broodwar/sc:r, is the rest of the AOE series worth playing? I had 1 as a kid

AoE 2 DE is a freaking masterpiece. Haven’t tried AoE 3 DE (yet) and never played the first game.

Obviously, it gets help from the fan nostalgia, but they kept the good stuff while giving it some quality of life improvements. Remastered the graphics, audio, cleaned up, and updated the campaigns added 4 more civilizations and they keep patching stuff up. At the start there were balance updates almost every month. Not as many of them now, but they are adding events like the Mongol challenge the previous month and now the Barbarossa challenge.

It’s slower and more macro oriented than SC games. Honestly the game is worth buying even just for the single player.

1 Like

Weird “failed to achieve victory” condition aside if you decided to try to morph structures with your starting two drones, “Reign of Fire” is another that stuck out for me. You actually got to play around with Torrasque for once, and just a variety of elite units in general.

Kinda like my previous example, it’s something that I wish the original games had a lot more of. Like why did the special Cerberus units from the Terren Precursor campaign never make it into the actual Terran campaigns? Or why were the Devouring Ones only for a single mission?

Coming from my heart!

I love AoE. I bought the definitive edition of all three. AoE 2 is the best, highly above the other two. I still play the campaigns in my free time.

To remain in the original topic, my favourite campaign in SC1 is where you have to hold out for 30 minutes till Sons of Korhal evacuation. I usually build 8-8 bunkers at both entrances and that’s just it. I love defending. I’ve also cleared the whole map which speeds up the progress, but not-hurrying is my like.

1 Like

Got all but two missions on gold.