Extremly low FPS ingame and in meny - GPU CPU usage low

Hello,
so I have installed SC2 again after some time and wanted to play a game. Unfortunately, I have noticed that ingame, I can achieve maximum of 15 FPS, even on start of the game, where there is nothing on the screen.
I have taken a look at my CPU and GPU usage and they are 30 percent for GPU and the core doesnt even speed up to the upper limit, since its not used, and CPU is sitting around 50 percent.

I have tried all the previous troubleshooting steps, including CPU affinity, driver reinstalls, redownloaded the game, nothing worked.

I have tried manipulating the graphics settings, from low to extreme, no change. I have tried lowering the resolution from 4k to fullHD, nothing worked.

I am currently on i5 7600K (played with the same setup year ago)
RTX 2070S

Any help please?

Also, I have noticed that while in menus, I will achieve comfortable 60 FPS without a hitch.

EDIT: this is no longer true, getting FPS drops even in menus

The only things you haven’t mentioned yet that could have an impact that I can think of are:

• hard disk (old?SSD?Full?)
  • ram (memory full?)
  • Internet speed (less likely, but I’m trying to think of everything)

Hello Undead,

M2 SSD,
16 GIGS of RAM
100/100 Mbps Internet connection

EDIT: ok, now I have achieved that even in menus it drops for me to 20FPS and GPU just sitting there, bored. This scene was with the Nova standing on the bridge of her ship.

Hey there,

Can you post a DXDIAG?

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

Hello jambrix,

please find the dxdiag bellow

https://pastebin.com/ya8pepw3

I have even done second DDU yesterday just to make sure I didnt messed up anything. Unfortunately the problem is still the same.

At this point, I am wondering if maybe some kind of overlay might be triggering this response?

Thanks

Things I’m thinking of:

• Do the game indeed display your main graphic card in the graphics option, not the Intel one?
  • Could there be bad 3D options in your nvidia control panel regarding Starcraft 2?
  • Not based on SC2 and old (outdated?) knowledge but: Do you have VSync enabled or disabled? (it used to cause slowdown, or potentially not playing nice with graphic cards settings)

Also, you probably should aim to get good speed in 1920x1080 during your tests, and only then see if increasing again resolution has bad effects.

Those are relatively generic advices, not specialized ones.

Hello Undead,

• yes, the game is running on the main GPU, since the display is connected only to the GPU (second monitor is running on the Intel iGPU)

• I have done complete DDU including the control panel and all the configs, but I can check. Any idea what I should be looking for?

• I have tried both with VSYNC and without VSYNC, the result is the same.

I have been also monitoring the Intel iGPU and there was no usage as well, which would suggest that the game is indeed running on the main card.

I have even tried underclocking my GPU, the result was still the same.

At this point, I want to try and get rid of any overlays that might be running, since I know that here and there that was causing problems as well.

Thank you for your continuous support.

Hey there MrInfro,

I’m curious if this is not a case of Windows getting confused since you have both the integrated and dedicated GPU’s being used. Can you test with just the one monitor plugged into the Nvidia graphics? If that works, you may need an adaptor so you can plug both monitors into the dedicated GPU to avoid FPS issues.

Hello Rinadar,

I have just one monitor plugged into the main GPU, the second one is plugged to my MB where it is using the iGPU.

What I can try is to disable the integrated GPU and see if that helps.

Hey again MrInfro.

Yeah, that is effectively what we’re trying to rule out here. Having a monitor plugged into the motherboard and dedicated GPU at the same time can cause Windows to get confused and lead to crashes or performance issues. Unplugging the monitor from the iGPU to test should rule this factor out. I’m not familiar if disabling the iGPU will work the same so you can try it, yet just unplugging it is best.

Hello all, I have found the culprit… after some more rigorous testing I have narrowed it down to… drumroll please… overwolf overlay… if I shut down overwolf, I get normal FPS, normal GPU usage etc. If I have the overlay running, it will frakk up the whole game.

Thank you all for the help, I wouldnt have guessed it.

Maybe you can place this into some sort of FAQ, I would say its not isolated to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the follow-up on that! I’m going to mark your post as the solution. Overlays are a common culprit and my apologies it wasn’t called out sooner.

Can you take a look at my DXDIAG? I am in a similar spot, recently wanted to play again. Am having a hard time hitting even 60 FPS regardless of settings on a Ryzen 7 1700 and GTX1080Ti and usage numbers are super low for both CPU and GPU.

Not using an overlay.

dxdiag_mike - Pastebin.com