Extreme ping to uswest the past few days

I’m in uswest, and my ping to server is typically 31ms. Computer handles 4v4 on ultra settings just fine, with other applications running in the background.

Past few days I’ve had very sus games with huge 3-5 second spikes in ping where the game refuses input and average elevated to between 200 and 400 ms. Only on SC2 though, my network and everything else still functions how it did before. How can I troubleshoot this?

I say these are sus because some games to uswest are perfectly fine, and then others get these spikes almost always coinciding with a nydus worm finishing or a nuke alert going off against a team full of smurfs. The waiting for player box does not appear and the game alternates between completely smooth → input refuses for a few seconds → now we are 5 seconds into the future and my commands either did not go through or they all fire off at once. Incredibly frustrating.

I ask if there is lag or just me and teammate said ‘just you’ but they also hardly seemed to be playing at all and were really noob.

How can I troubleshoot this?

I have already exhausted the steps listed here Blizzard Support - Starcraft II Performance Issues

Same sh*t as well but in EU without all the other problems you mentionated “the game alternates between completely smooth -> input refuses for a few seconds -> now we are 5 seconds into the future and my commands either did not go through or they all fire off at once”.
From 30 ping in a normal day to 200 ping. Btw, Do you use cable for wifi because I do.

Same issue here, except I’m in Vietnam connecting to US servers.

From 30 ping in a normal day to 200 ping. Btw, Do you use cable for wifi because I do.

I use wifi on home network and have a broadband ISP. I’ve had this exact same setup (entire lan) for years and never had this lag issue. Access point and station in the same relative positions. I’ve noticed early morning-afternoon performance is flawless, but around 6-11pm games turn randomly unplayable.

Same issue here, except I’m in Vietnam connecting to US servers.

I get higher ping to Australia, Brazil, and Singapore servers regularly (150-200ms range) and while there is some visible delay on those cases it is nowhere close to the same. There is no ‘input freeze’ which is a new issue specific to Western United States.

My issue is the game still responds fine. i can even still stutter step marines. It’s just there will be jumps in actual game play. Like it’ll freeze frame for a second or two, then jump to that amount of time later in the game. This also only happens night time here in Vietnam.

During the day in Vietnam, I will still get stutters, but very very slight. I’ve ran a pathping and there’s one step that almost has 100% packetloss

Hey all,

From what’s being described this is likely being caused by some kind of congestion issues along the route between your router and internet provider. If it’s happening more often in the evening / night hours (what is called “prime time” for internet usage) that usually means there’s some bottlenecking going on somewhere in the route and that’s causing packet loss or latency spikes.

Using the WinMTR tool is generally the best way to see what is happening to try and locate where the problems are. 100% packet loss is normal for some “nodes” and that just means the router is configured to ignore the test, but this does not indicate an issue. What you would want to look for is anywhere from 1% to 99% packet loss, or high latency spikes in the WRST (Worst) collumn.

1. Download WinMTR
  2. Right-click on the downloaded .zip folder and select “Extract All”, to extract the files to a new folder.
  3. Open the new folder that was created, then open the WinMTR_x64 folder.
  4. Right-click on the WinMTR application and select “Run as administrator”.
  5. Type the IP address 24.105.30.129 in the “Host” field. This is the IP for the US West data center.
  6. Click on “Start” and then launch the game. Allow the test to run for at least 10 minutes. Click on “Stop” when you’re done playing after you have experienced the latency or connection issue.
  7. Click on “Copy Text to Clipboard”, paste the results here, then highlight everything and hit the </> button in the posting section so it will allow links.