Experiencing frequent in-game crashes as well

About 50% of my games have been crashing during multiplayer. Most of the time, the screen goes black. I can still control my mouse, but the game is nonexistent and unresponsive. I cannot close the program unless I use Task Manager. While being on voice chat, friends who were in a team game have reported that I’ve been disconnected and the game is Waiting.

When I log back on, friends in party have reported that I was already still in the party, and needed to leave before re-joining. Friends have also reported seeing two of me logged on.

Other times, the game crashes all-together, with various error codes that I’ve attempted to Google but no matches return.

I have updated NVIDIA drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled, attempted scan/repair using Battle.net desktop app, restarted computer, starting in Windowed mode, but the problem is happening more commonly. My CPU and GPU temperatures do not exceed more than 75C and 60C, respectively.

Hey there! Checking the crashes, it isn’t showing an exact cause. Could you provide a DxDiag file for us to check? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

Thanks for getting back to me.

My DxDiag is longer than the character limit, so I’ve posted it on Pastebin:

gchSb06E

Hiya!

I checked out your dxdiag, and it looks like a few memory tests you ran recently were either aborted due to failure or otherwise cancelled. Can you try running the extended memory test built in to windows? I recommend running this overnight - it takes a while. If the extended test reports errors or locks up and seems to not progress, it usually means you have a hardware issue - either due to an unstable overclock or physical hardware damage. Disable any CPU/GPU/RAM overclocking - including any XMP for your RAM, and have a PC tech check your machine if it persists after that.

If you complete the memory test successfully, it’s likely overheating. Probably the CPU. Grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Hey there - I completed the extended memory test and these are these are the results. I posted it on pastebin.Checking the log-viewer it passed without any issues.

4WMWwerC

I remembered I did overclock my RAM, which I’ve now reverted back to stock settings. I also reverted my NVIDIA RTX 2060 drivers back to a March 2020 release, and I haven’t had issues since then.

The CPU and GPU were not overclocked, and the temps remained within acceptable limits. Max CPU temp was <65C and GPU was <60C.

Even though I’m no longer experiencing issues, I’d like to get ahead of the problem in case it persists in the future. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for the details on this matter! I’m glad to hear that its been a bit more stable since reverting the drivers and disabling XMP. There have been some issues with the latest drivers (445.87) that Nvidia released a hotfix driver for. The drivers from April ran into a similar situation as well, so it may be best to stay on the March 2020 drivers for the time being.

Based on the system files, there isn’t much that is concerning me at this moment. There were some USB errors, but as long as everything works this may not be much of a concern. It may not be as visible when the issue occurs if the system recovers quickly enough or happens with unrelated tasks or applications outside of Starcraft II :slight_smile: