Don't match me with someone I've previously blocked!

I block communication with players that are obnoxious, rude, or that played terribly. I don’t want to play with them again. Please update the matching system to exclude players that you have blocked.

38 Likes

Well, blocking someone on the grounds of them playing terribly is quite rude. Maybe they were having an off-day or were just learning/experimenting with a commander that is new to them.

8 Likes

There’s a difference. Someone having an off-day is still trying, and that is apparent in their gameplay. Someone who is learning/experimenting is also readily apparent. I often take the time to share tips and tricks with those players and will team up with them to share/demonstrate more tactics and strategies in subsequent games.

I block those who don’t contribute toward co-op objectives at all and expect to be carried. These are players that build 3x of every upgrade structure, and 10x of structures to build units, but rarely build any units, even though there is a time limit. I also block those who don’t have even the basic understanding of Starcraft build order yet are playing on harder difficulties with low level commanders. These are the players that I don’t want to play with because they waste my time when I’m just here to enjoy myself.

23 Likes

The reason behind this could be “it will hurt the matchmaking pool”.
You see the same reason they made random mission and random map for free.

However, I don’t think blocking really significantly hurt matchmaking because now Co-Op isn’t new anymore. Everyone has an idea what it is like. I don’t mean they should be a pro to play Co-Op but know what they are doing at their natural best and not expect others to carry.

2 Likes

I’m definitely with the OP on this one, seems ridiculous to say “Hey, you should play with this guy!” to someone who has already said “I don’t want to hear that guy”.

Yes, it’s possible this could be used by people to avoid playing with others they have deemed as ‘bad’ but frankly isn’t that still better than matching them up just to have one player quit?

Incidentally, I don’t think I’ve ever actually blocked anyone (I may have, but I don’t remember any), so this has no impact on me, just seems to make sense to implement.

11 Likes

I completely agree.

Doesn’t even matter what my reasons are… it’s MY block list. If I don’t want to play with someone, stop matching me with them! Simple as that. If I change my mind, I can just as easily remove them from the Block List

This is even more frustrating when you are queuing up Brutation and you keep getting matched up with the same person like 10 times until someone gives up.

14 Likes

On the flip side though, without a process to unblock the problem will persist.

It’s already arbitrary to block people, everyone’s got a story and thinks they are in the “right”. And it’s not even important whether they/you are “right”.

The problem is that if block = unmatch, then at some point it’s just a bunch of people unable to play. That is not to say this is right. I just think a process of unblock should be in place.

I mean by OP’s standard, how good is he? What is deemed “played terribly”? I finished LL consistently 10-12min, so is terribly any time after because I’m impatient? Or is getting damage on Temple ticks me off so I block people? And what is “rude”? Some people get offended so easily. Is OP one of those? Or was the other player really being rude? Without knowing, randomly allowing unmatch just isn’t a solution.

I can empathize with his frustration but that’s about the extend of it.

1 Like

Honestly, how often do you run into the same person twice? I’m playing coop a lot and it probably happened to me only couple of times in 4 years.

This kind of blocking would also only be valid for coop. In PvP that could easily be exploited to block players that are better than you or play a race you are bad against.

So personally I would rather see Blizzard put time and resources into new maps and revamps.

1 Like

Overwatch has an “avoid this teammate” function, so there’s a precedent

8 Likes

The major problems are these:

A ton of these people that have no idea of what they are doing shouldn’t even doing brutal mutations to begin with, because their plan is to getting carried from start to finish and they are clearly doing brutations to have that juicy XP Bounty.

Now for the biggest problem with them, these kind of people are not only slow (since they clearly don’t know how to play on brutations) but they are super stubborn to don’t accept suggestions or warnings of any kind, they often do three things =>

They leave the game

They don’t listen at all

The best thing ever, they get upset because you are suggesting them something or telling them to push the objective that is about to trigger the defeat condition.

This just happened on this week muta, I was pushing with no problems, told my ally dozens of time to push Ji’Nara further, he of course didn’t do it and when the first hybrid spawned we immediately lost.

PS: They even kill the fun of cooperation, by being both blind and deaf to their allies, they instantly kill all kinds of commander sinergies like calldown/spell combos or mobility abilities for example

11 Likes

Actually, Overwatch has just 2 slots for “avoid as teammate” and they are temporary and only last for a week each.

The issue OP has has been a persistent problem in Overwatch, and the staff there is afraid that this sort of thing will destroy the matchmaking system.

I see why somebody might want to block another person. I am just saying, from what I’ve heard of Bliz talking about this, it’s not quite as simple a thing to solve as people think.

2 Likes

While I doubt they will implement this matching block, I have a found a somewhat temporary solution (not 100%) to avoid being rematched by someone.

Once you’re on the loading screen, wait about 5-10s till it starts the actual loading of the level. Then alt-tab out of the game and kill the Starcraft 2 process in Task Manager. Next, restart the game and queue back up. There is a good chance you will be paired up with someone else. The reason for alt-tab and killing the process is, I believe your ally is still in the loading screen while you perform this which will reduce the chance of both of you being paired up again. If you let the game fully load before quiting, your ally will likely quit at the same time as you, thereby increasing the chances of you being paired up together again.

As for trying to determine if your ally would be helpful or not, I usually prefer maps such as CoA and L&L. You will find out very early in the game if your ally is really being co-operative or not. Not pushing Ji’Nara or capturing a lock? That’s ok, I only spent like 5 mins in game, I can leave and re-queue.

YES PLEASE!
For the recent brutation on Temple, I got paired with the same level 4 Stetmann.
I gave him a shot the first time, but he didn’t deploy any Stetellites (despite my asking him) and I didn’t want to carry.
After the 3rd time getting queued with him I blocked him.
I think we got queued together 6 times. I finally walked away for a few minutes so someone else would get matched with him.
Normally I’d have no problem playing brutal with a lower level teammate, but not that brutation when they already demonstrated they wouldn’t be a good ally.

Even just an option to “don’t match me for today” would be great.

9 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the game mode NEEDS a way to prevent unskilled players from queueing at difficulty levels they can’t handle. I know it’s a problem in brutal but even in hard I’ll routinely encounter players that seem like they couldn’t handle a game on casual.

6 Likes

Every pro on EU :
“block Serral”

4 Likes

Getting matched by with thousands of players in my experience. And I can hardly pick out 10 players that were humble about their skills.

Just goes to show how everyone thinks they are good. Reality is that even if it’s true, the contribution isn’t as large as one might think. It’s often the minority incidences that we remember deeply causing a generalization fallacy.

So blocking someone just based on that seem like an extremely radicle solution.

2 Likes

(replying to FearrWhalins cause the reply system hates me)

This is very true, everyone experiences things solely from their point of view. I’m in favour of being able to flag truly toxic behaviour, but never wanting to see people again because they may not be as good is not something I’d want to do.

At the end of the day, the only people I wouldn’t want to play with are people actively trying to ruin my game. And people who think they’re so much better than me that they try to tell me how to play the game. Regardless of the fact they could be that much better than me. (Of course, normal communication is beside the point. A “hey could you get that wave?” or “let’s wait a second for me to rebuild” are welcome and rarely seen)

People that aren’t as good? Sure I’ll play with them. Could I lose because of it? Why not? I’m already at the point where XP means nothing, but the best way to get better at something? Adversity, something just beyond reach is the best teacher.

4 Likes

When I was learning coop, some people weren’t happy about me because I panicked a lot, and I even ran into somebody who mocked me based on something I said on forums.

Now that I’ve adjusted to things, the worst I get is the guy ignores my questions, such as “do you need help over there?” and/or don’t respond to “hiyya, glhf” and “gg.” I don’t encounter true rudeness that much anymore.

The problem with blocking or quitting on crappy players is, they might be crappy because they’re learning, not because they want to parasite off of you. Not saying leeches don’t exist, but Starcraft does have a learning curve even if you’re trying.

Funny, I got downvoted to hell for making a similar comment about that very same problem.

1 Like

There’s no more downvoting anymore. It doesn’t exist on the new forums, you can only upvote.