Do the SC1 commanders all have canon names and faces?

I know the player “character” in the Protoss campaign was fleshed out into Artanis, but what about the Terran and Zerg campaigns?

Do we know the name of the Cerebrate who oversaw Kerrigan’s transformation? Or the Confederate Magistrate who got roped into Mengsk’s revolution and jumped ship with Raynor when Mengsk turned out to be insane and evil?

The cerebrate nominally got killed off screen between the end of the zerg campaign and when Tassadar is rescued in the Protoss campaign. The Magistrate, to my knowledge, has not shown up in any work since, his role as a character being replaced by Michael Liberty in the novelization of the terran campaign.

4 Likes

Selendis has been confirmed as the executor in Enslavers 2.

As far as I’m aware of it’s never been explicitly stated that she wasn’t the executor in BW. Do with that what you will.

5 Likes

I don’t know why they haven’t just gone about confirming that Selendis is the BW executor. It’s not like it would cause any plot-holes. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than when they shoehorned Artanis to be the Executor of Episode 3.

1 Like

I think the confederate magistrate is Horner, but there is no confirmation of any kind as far as I’m aware.

Horner joined the SoK before the events of Sc1, he can’t be the Magistrate, who apparently left Raynor’s group not long after Ep I.

4 Likes

To be fair we just know Selendis was active during the events of Enslavers II, but we have no confirmation she was the Executor. It’s a just a very, very strong implication.

From what we know:

Episode 1: Unnamed Magistrate (NOT Matt Horner), sharing some canon role with reporter Michael Liberty, though his book still references the Magistrate twice. All we have confirmed on the magistrate is he was male.

Episode 2: Unnamed cerebrate, too young to be named. Tassadar kills them right before the mission “The Hunt for Tassadar.”

Episode 3: Artanis. In spite of some weirdness with him being praetor later this has been confirmed.

Episode 4: Probably Selendis given the above reasons. But unknown.

Episode 5: Unnamed Captain. Nothing gives any strong indication who this is either way.

Episode 6: A different unnamed cerebrate. We see this cerebrate lived through the Brood War and helped Kerrigan in her infestation experiments, even appearing in the one that would lead to Izsha. A fan theory is Izsha was a transfer of the cerebrate’s consciousness into a body that wouldn’t die without an Overmind, given Amanda Hailey (who became Izsha) became specifically a mindless infested terran and that was the last we saw of that cerebrate, but it is just a fan theory and nothing else.

5 Likes

I believe he died at the end of Brood War while running back to earth. Is there any confirmation on this either way?

Nope, there is no confirmation. Given we know the UED has some decent sized holdouts scattered about it’s entirely possible they’re also alive in the sector.

I don’t agree that Magistrate is not Horner, both have a lot in common, A LOT. And in Flashpoint there is a part where Horner give order to Raynor and Kerrigan in a flashback, similar in the way we give orders to them in SC1. Is not confirmed 100% yhea, but I belive they are the same character.
*Both worked for Confederacy, then betrayed it for the SoK and then betryed Mengsk just after he left Kerrigan to the Zergs.
*Horner know too much about Kerrigan and Raynor’s relationship, even if in the verious sources materials the only one that could know that is the Magistrate
*Flashpoint show in a flashback Horner with the same role of the Magistrate
*In all sources were the Magistrate appear Horner don’t, and viceversa

No, Horner is not a Magistrate. Matt Horner was young pilot during first Great War, one of the books actually describes how Raynor met him first time (I can’t remember which one exactly, probably Flashpoint).

Also, his biography on old (now non-accesible) site also specifies what he was pilot from Sons of Korhal. I can’t provide it, unfortunately, since I only copied it in Russian, I don’t have English version.

Horner firstly appears in Queen of Blades, and this book mentioned Magistrate separately.

1 Like

The problem is that Flashpoint lays out they didn’t know eachother well and only really formally met during a raid well after Antiga. Horner also abandoned the Confederacy after quitting the Confederate Navy. Without actual retcons there is no way to make Horner the Magistrate.

Aforementioned link to the Horner history article Aazkaal mentions:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160409230956/http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/hero/matt-horner

And here it mentions his role in piloting ships evacuating Mar Sara and first seeing Jim Raynor during that evacuation. The Magistrate was on the ground trying to get that SoK support.

It shows him as the second in command of a transport ship that takes Raynor and Kerrigan into a secret ghost research facility. Not anything related to the Magistrate.

That’s because in most canon sources the Magistrate seems to largely be replaced with Michael Liberty, though there are a few references to him, they’re small. However, at no point was Horner the emergency magistrate of Mar Sara.

He just knows they were close and she became infested, and that was because he was along with Raynor through all of the events of SC1 after Rebel Yell. He would easily figure out those details having worked beside them in the SoK and all the times they had to fight/ally with her through the events of SC1 without him being the Magistrate.

1 Like

It’s not so absurd thinking that Blizzard retconnected this to make Horner the new Magistrate, I mean… they retconnected the SC1 Executor to be Artanis even if the ranking don’t make sense (Executor is superior to Preator, but in BW was said he was promoted…), even because, if Horner is not the Magistrate, where he go?
I know that what I’m saying is speculation/headcanon, but make a lot of sense.

With the power of retconning, anything is possible. :man_shrugging:

While I would love if they worked in the SC1 characters into the cast of SCII, I would like it if it works. I remember back in the day the decision to change the executor to Artanis was reviled by the community and still is a sore spot for a lot of people (still causes some yet-to-be-addressed issues), so I’d rather them use the Magistrate only if it fits and not cause another mess of that caliber. One massively unpopular retcon doesn’t mean we should open the door to more.

Besides it’s potential story ground if they wanted to make a game where he returns as the protagonist or something along those lines.

1 Like

yhea, true, but I ever found quite suspicious that the Magistrate never appeared where Horner was, and in SC2 he just disappeared without any kind of mention, for this is suspect they retconnected Horner to be Magistrate, yhea, I can be wrong, but all this “similaties” with both characters and the fact that they never appear both in the same sources, seems really suspicious to me. I can be wrong, I know, but is not absurd think about this, and I think is cool play SC1 thinking you are Horner, at least when I’m programed mine remake, I liked that idea a lot XD

It’s quite sad that the BW Cerebrate never appeared again, I hoped so much to see him again in HotS, but the fantheory that he (she in this theory) have her consciousnes transfered into Izsha, making her quite more interesing character, and would make sense to Kerrigan give a “prize” to her after what she done in BW, is quite disappointing that we don’t know nothing about Izsha’s origins :S all the old confirmation about her pre-release of HotS for what I understand was scrapped.

Wow, where is the Emperor and Brother Bifrost? How come they haven’t chimed in yet?

We got ourselves another campaign editor, eh? Hey, have you read about TrickyHunter’s alternated Universe? How do you feel about making a campaign off of it? I’m quite curious.

I was playing D&D. Nerdage was happening. Anyway, as others have mentioned, Horner cant be the Magistrate, he has an alibi.

Marsaro seems to be a huge WoW junkie given how deep he knows its lore no matter how god-awful it turned out to be as the expansions went on. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s been playing the shyt out of Classic WoW this whole time.

I see.

As for Horner, it was my speculation. I believe Brother Marsaro when he typed that Horner can’t be the Magistrate.