Do the SC1 commanders all have canon names and faces?

I don’t understand very well… but, no I didn’t read about this TrickyHunter, sorry XD I didn’t played a lot this last years with custom campaigns, just mine, more for testing then for really fun.

The ranking is never actually explained. I suspect it changed several times over development

Don’t feel bad. I’m still working and I don’t want to be a rude jerk and force people to do my work for me.

but was higly implied that the Executor is superior then Preator

Executor is theoretically the equivalent of a general, with Praetor being more like a Colonel. There is also a High Executor rank which Tassadar was, and which Artanis was in Brood War, that commands all protoss military forces everywhere. Its clearly a retcon as Artanis was originally intended to be your subordinate, or at least not outrank you.

I’ve always thought they could justify it somehow with something to bridge the gap between SC1 and BW, maybe something to show the true fall of the Conclave (even if Tassadar supposedly wiped them out in Homeland in the DT books, though that raises questions for the games). It wouldn’t be perfect but I do think there are ways to do it, it’d be an interesting double-faced story to have the Conclave honoring Tassadar but secretly demoting the survivors who rose against them and burnt their capital.

But yeah it was very obviously not intended, given they make such a big deal in the manual how Artanis was the youngest praetor. Then again he always had his nerve cords a bit too short to be any Khalai rank anyway, so add it to the pile. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always thought Executor was for aerospace and Praetor was for ground forces. Or Executor was appointed by the Conclave rather than an existing military rank.

The games are extremely vague even after the retcons

EDIT: or maybe based on the Roman rank of praetor, which was either a magistrate or a field commander

I mean, you only have to look through BW Artanis’ dialogue, and it becomes quite clear that he was supposed to be portrayed as the naive newcomer rookie that knew much less than Zeratul and Aldaris. It doesn’t match up with what is supposed to be a seasoned Episode 3 Executor who fought alongside Fenix through many battles at all.

Actually, I think you got something going here. Maybe, Artanis was demoted during the civil war. But then why didn’t they promoted him back to his old rank nor higher…

This was introduced by the QoB novel IIRC. Apparently the author wasn’t too familiar with the story and made some mistakes. Rather than correcting these, Blizzard kept them.

Thus the unnamed Executor and Artanis were merged into the same character even though that wasn’t originally the case and this introduced plot holes in the gestalt character’s backstory.

The other PCs were either murdered or forgotten from existence. Seems like a waste imo.

Busy. 20202020202020

Same! 20202020202020