Comparing all the casters, HT arent that good. No really

The AOE of storm is only 1.5. The damage is 80 IF the units stay in the storm the whole time. Storm is still good, but not really that efficient against anything other than marines and maybe hydra. Its good against slow banelings or banelings behind forcefields/off creep too if you have the reaction time and micro to use it. HT are also slow so its hard to keep them with your army so you can get pulled apart by bio drops or get your HT sniped by speedlings or other units. One thing that makes it good is that it can be used against air but so can fungal. And fungal has good combos such as using hydras, parasitic bomb, etc. Archons are good but easily countered with micro/range.

Then you have feedback which has been nerfed into the ground. Its honestly a waste of energy to use in most circumstances. When you compare it to something like steady aim that does 170 (!) damage for 50 energy straight up and can be repeated… it seems pretty crappy.

Compare it to fungal growth that is guaranteed damage and a radius of 2.25. When you do the math, fungal hits an AOE that is 225% bigger, hits for guaranteed damage, plus it snares. I actually don’t even believe it… Liquipedia has 2.25 as the radius but that seems way too big. It also has 2 listed in the notes. Either way, look at the huge difference the upgrade has made changing EMP from 1.5 to 2 radius. Its not 33% more area. Its radius which squares the increase. Plus infestors can upgrade to start with 75 energy, whereas HT no longer can.

Comparing storm further, looking at parasitic bomb, it does 120 damage over a radius of 3! that is a huge radius. Granted its over 7 seconds and only hits air so its apples and oranges but even at 125 energy, you cant get much more energy efficient than that if your opponent is massing air.

I will say its better than raven. Raven is a little better now but its only use is really TvT and I guess mobile detection.

19 Likes

I think the stereotype of storm and HT being borderline OP has endured for so long, that nobody notices that the unit is becoming very lackluster in comparison to other casters.

21 Likes

storm is literally good against any unit in the game. ANY UNIT. and no you can’t change my mind, i’ve seen groups of thors, tanks, carriers, bcs, all fall to storm… it’s not like having 6 HTs and 12 storms is too much, and that will take out high HP units. put them behind some zealot / immortal / archon or carrier zealot… whatever you want and storm to victory…

9 Likes

Storm is in a very bad place right now, and with the Feedback nerf, High Templar became almost a meme unit.

I wish Storm would have either a bigger radius, or that we could stack Storms to make the deal more damage and last longer (with diminishing returns).

6 Likes

no jonus, it’s not in a bad place, not at all… it’s actually never been touched, it’s in the same place it’s always been, a REALLY GOOD SPELL… it definitely needs a nerf if anything.

5 Likes

Just say that you hate Protoss and go.

6 Likes

i don’t hate protoss, storm good unit is a saying for a reason.

1 Like

Storm is strong, but it definitely does not any need any nerfs. It is clearly out-classed by Fungal and Parasitic Bomb in terms of the radius and damage they typically deal.

EMP versus Storm I am less inclined to agree with based on EMP’s damage limits and the general size of Protoss units that have more shields. The Adept is one of the only units where an increase in shields is not correlated to an increase in size or spreading.

2 Likes

Wtf are you talking guys, you want to buff storm?

4 Likes

No im not saying it needs a buff or a nerf.

Bottom line is that I hate when people act like this is Brood War and Toss have the best caster and late game tech units.

Its just ridiculous that storm has been nerfed so much and other casters have been buffed so much that Toss no longer is the caster race. The oracle is legit. The mothership is a joke, in every way inferior to an arbiter. I don’t count the phoenix or the disrupter. If you count those then you should consider ravager a caster too.

Edit: I mean HT have been nerfed. Khadyrian amulet and nerf to feedback

5 Likes

When did storm get nerfed? Khaydarian Amulet removal?

2 Likes

I believe he means indirectly nerfed because of the emp upgrade but don’t take my word for it, it is well known that half the people who post in this forum have no idea what they are talking about.

Seriously? you need 7 storms to kill one bc 3 for a tank, 5 for a thor and 6 for a carrier assuming they stay inside a storm non stop, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

13 Likes

He means a mix of Storm and damage from other units rather than pure storms. Storm’s damage is not insignificant.

1 Like

artosis is the best

Well if your army gets covered in storm you deserve to lose, terrans have all the tools to counter high templars, personally i don’t even bother with storm against a mech/sky terrans unless they are too heavy on vikings.

4 Likes

I understand what OP is saying, I think the real problem is not the ht itself, but the other spell casters being too strong! fungal has too much radius, when it hits it’s a sure damage and slows down units, parasitic bomb, well I’ve never understood this spell, always thought it was a bit unfair, 120 damage, radius of 3 and it keeps going after the unit dies? wow something more?
and even ghost are d a m n good if well used.
so, instead of buffing ht’s, why don’t we tone down all the other spell casters? actually I miss pure army vs army fights, it’s so funny to see and play, and if zerg race has problems because it relys a lot on its caster, I’m all for buffing the army sowhere else!

4 Likes

Something that nobody seems to take into account is that when a ht spends its energy it can merge into a archon. When an infestor runs out of energy it becomes a paperweight for a couple of minutes. The infestator takes 36 seconds to produce with 75 of energy the ht takes 4s with 50 of energy. By the time the infestor is out the ht has 25 more energy, without paying for an upgrade like the infestor

1 Like

you are right, but infestors can be burrowed and are quite fast, high templars are as slow as snails

4 Likes

It’s supposed to counter lower health small units.

The problem is not the storm being too weak but fungal and parasitic bomb being too strong.

1 Like

Edited my previous post. I meant HT have been nerfed. But yes I agree. Spellcasters are too strong in the game in general. Queen is actually another example but it is so hard wired into Zerg builds that there would be way too much crying if Queen was ever touched. Look at Serral. He builds MASSES of queens because you cant help but get value out of them. Even their vs. ground DPS isnt that bad, especially early game vs low armor units.

4 Likes