Commander Concept: Dr. Ariel Hanson

After colonizing Haven, Dr. Ariel Hanson created a nanite-based vaccine that could immunize her people against infestation, and even cure it if administered early enough.

Out of curiosity she tried it on a captured Zergling, and it totally lost it’s connection to the swarm, becoming feral. Years later, and with the help of Hive Mind Emulators designed by a Egon Stetmann, Haven is protected by it’s own brood of cybernetically equipped Zerg.

With Amon on the rise, Dr. Hanson has decided to use Haven’s brood to protect life, as she has always strived to do.

In my opinion, most concepts for Dr. Hanson fall flat when they try to give her a military. Hanson herself is a civilian with a medical background, so there’s little room for militant units keeping with her theme. However, she’s also connected heavily with Zerg research, so I think to Cerberus brood skins are just what we need to give her an army

Ariel Hanson is effectively the opposite of Stukov. Where Stukov is a zerg commander using infested terran units, Hanson is a Terran commander using enslaved Zerg units.

Hanson’s base is entirely terran structures. Her main building is a command center with the Orbital Command upgrade (sorry Planetary Fortress fans, the fortress it too militant for Hanson), her workers are SCVs, and her supply is depots.

Despite being Zerg, her units are produced one at a time at a Barracks, Factory, or Starport, due to the time required to fit newly spawned zerg with their cybernetics.

Due to the static nature of cybernetics, the Haven Brood does not contain strains that evolve from other zerg, or strains that produce smaller zerg.

Hanson’s lab

Hanson has a unique building where she researches the ability to breed new strains in the lieu of growing structures for each strain. Research for some strains are gated behind the orbital command upgrade, while others require tech labs.

Species specific upgrades are found in the techlab attached to the associated production building. Weapons and armor upgrades are found in the Engineering bay and Armory

Barracks units
Zerglings

Haven Brood Zerglings are trained one at a time. However, their cybernetic enhancements make them stronger and more durable than normal Zerglings.

Jump jet upgrade: Grants the ability to leap cliffs, similar to the raptor strain.

Hydralisks

Haven Brood Hydralisks are equipped with mono-molecular blades, allowing them to shred through the armor of targets in melee range.

Automated Targeting upgrade: Grants the ability to use their ranged weapon and melee weapon simultaneously.

Roach

Requires Techlab
Haven Brood Roaches have been outfitted for sabotage and defence. Their ability to move while burrowed gives them the ability to control the battlefield right under the enemy’s feet.

Acid Collector upgrade: Grants the ability to place Acid mines. Acid mines are permanently burrowed, and reduce enemy armor when approached.

Factory units
Infestor

Initially captured to give hanson a better understanding of the infestation process as she refined her vaccine, Haven Brood Infestors have been modified to heal rather than harm.

Infusion: The Infestor latches onto a friendly target, healing them at an energy cost. The Infestor will remain attached until the friendly target is fully healed, dies, or moves too far from the Infestor.

Adrenaline fog upgrade: Grants the ability to spread a fog that increases the attack speed of friendly biological units beneath it.

Ultralisk

Haven brood Ultra Lists are by far the most expensive strain to outfit. Hanson was originally against including the strain, but numerous lab techs insisted it was, quote: “Too cool not to use”.

Siege blades upgrade: Improves damage against structures and massive enemies.

Starport units
Mutalisk

Haven brood Mutalisks are the core of Haven’s aerial defence. They can often be seen flapping overhead, a comforting sight for the locals and a terrifying one for visitors.

Guided Glave upgrade: Upon reaching the bounce, the glave will return to the mutalisk, striking each of it’s targets in reverse order. The glave deals full damage to the first target hit on return, and reduced damage for every return bounce after.

Viper

Haven Brood Vipers are the only strain that has to be guided manually. An agent on the ground talks the viper through choosing targets to avoid friendly fire. And regular fire.

Abduct: Grabs a non-massive unit and drags it to the viper’s current position. Ground units fall back to the ground, taking some damage on landing.

Blinding cloud: Creates a cloud that severely reduces the range of units and structures inside it.

Ignite upgrade: Grant’s the ability to ignite a blinding cloud, dealing fire damage to enemy units under it.

Consume upgrade: Grants the ability to deal damage to an enemy unit or structure, restoring energy based on damage dealt.

Detection upgrade: Grants the ability to detect nearby cloaked and burrowed enemies.

Static defence

Missile turret

It’s just a missile turret. Shoots air targets, provides detection. Nothing to see here.

Zergling Pen

A bunker filled with 6 Zerglings. Zerglings automatically leave the bunker to engage nearby enemies, and return when no targets remain in the bunker’s vision.

Bunker Zerglings are automatically healed/replaced inside the pen and cost no supply, but can not stray beyond their bunker’s vision.

Top bar.

Corruption drop. Summons a pack of Haven Brood Corrupters with temporary life to the target area. Does not require vision. Haven Brood corrupters attack air units normally, and can drop acid that damages enemies who stand on it to attack ground targets. On death they leave a larger puddle of acid below them.

Nydus recall. Brings all burrowed units back to Hanson’s lab.

Deploy med-station. Deploys a medical station, which heals nearby units. 3 charges. A med-station must be destroyed or recalled to regain a charge.

4 Likes

I can’t decide on a team color for her.

I feel like her buildings should be a clean and clinical white, but white Zerg just look wrong.

White is good choice. Also, I like the idea, but just be prepared for others to swoop in here and whine that there are enough “human controlled zerg” COs already.

1 Like

Oh I know, I’m one of those people. But the cerberus skins are too cool not to use, so it’s a necessary evil.

I’m hoping that using human buildings, supply, and worker will change the feel from “Alien swarm that obeys a human for some reason.” to “Humans using trained animals to fight.” which should be more palatable.

1 Like

Give her banelings that explode onto groups of friendly units healing them or leave a small AoE healing cloud for several seconds.

Banelings evolve from Zerglings.

My theme for picking units was things zerg that don’t evolve from other zerg, or make other zerg, because I wanted to be realistic with the cybernetics.

Zerg can evolve, but the implants can’t.

I love the concept thematically with Hanson turning the Zerg into cybernetic guardians, but the mechanics feel kind of bland to me.

They don’t really stand out from other Zerg commanders or reinforce the cybernetics theme, but I’m not sure how to do that.

It’s harder to design than criticize, but I’ll try to think of ways to build on this.

Maybe there could be some Terran units working alongside the Zerg or even riding them, but as you said that’s a bit odd with her as a civilian.

Part of me thinks of the Harmony affinity in Civiliation: Beyond Earth.

Particularly the Xeno Cavalry guy riding an alien [on the left here.

i (period) ytimg (period) com/vi/ (underslash) TqQnrKwkE0/maxresdefault (period) jpg

(Why in the name of Tassadar do they hate us posting links?)

I thought about making all her zerg count as mechanical and biological, so her SCVs could fix them up, but honestly in Co-co, SCVs aren’t really that useful for repair so there wouldn’t have been much point.

You can get around it by surrounding your link with ` symbols.

i.ytimg.com/vi/_TqQnrKwkE0/maxresdefault.jpg

It doesn’t work as a link, but using it is just as easy as cutting and pasting, and removes the possibility for errors caused by someone calling an underscore “underslash”

Being mechanical would be nice with a Karax ally, but it wouldn’t matter much either way.

Maybe she could get a Science Vessel that heals biological units and can spawn temporary Zerg?

That may be too much like Gary, but I feel like a combined arms approach where the Zerg do the brunt of the dying has some potential for her. Probably needs more brainstorming.

Thanks for the tip on the link.

Hanson is a doctor, she could get medivacs. Nobody else has them (Tychus has the platforms, but it’s not the same) so far anyway.

3 Likes

Arcturus has medivacs

I’m sorry, I’m not yet used to think of him as a CO. My bad.

Arcturus has a ship that uses a modified medevac model. It’s not really a medivac.

Its a transport that heals nearby bio units…its a medivac

Of course no reason why 2 commanders cannot have them, but they aren’t missing (they would fit Hanson well either as colony leader or zerg rustler)

I dont feel like Ariel really fits the concept of “cybernetic zerg”.

For example Valerian is known for trying to make zergs obedient through technology and science.
He had various tests done with Kerrigan to see how she controls the zerg and how it can be used for Terran benefit.

He would be a better choice for machine-controlled zerg.

3 Likes

Well the best choice would be Dugalle who actually controlled a Zerg army for a period of time, but Hanson and Valerian also work.

2 Likes

This.

The UED is a yet untapped well of potential. What kind of technological advancements do they have? What crazy units could they possess? They have a considerable amount of resources at their fingertips and intel on the Koprulu sector with all its species. They could have the craziest anti-Zerg or anti-Protoss arsenal.

1 Like

Dugalle doesn’t have a cinematic model for the commander selection.

I think that’s not that hard to make. The real problem is the voice actor. The original is dead.

But why would they, when Hanson already has one?