Colossi lore origins? Purifier? Or Daelam make them too?

Colossi were purifier weapons correct? So why do you get them on the invasion of Auir, when you haven’t awakened the purifiers yet? And why are they on Kaldir during HoTS?

During Echoes of the Future with Zeratul we at least get the explanation that they were dormant and woke up. I guess you can retconn the Taldarim Colossi in WoL to be Wrath Walkers. But can’t resolve them being on Haven (unless Safe Haven never happened haha), Kaldir, or during the Auir invasion.

Lore wise did the Daelam also create Colossi too? Or is this a plot hole created in the name of game play?

the colossi are od a weapon of war designed by Juras used to eliminate an alien enemy army in Kalath Intercession, protoss were ashamed and buried them the purifyier colossi are only variants more advaced of purifier proyect

1 Like

It’s actually quite an ancient weapon that they invented back in the Protoss Empire times.

When they tested it, they deemed it to be too genocidal for use, so they sealed them away. Daelaam just decided that sh^t got way too serious to play around, so they rolled out these bad boys.

Seeing Colossi on Haven in WoL, Kaldir in HotS and Aiur in LotV makes sense.

1 Like

So actually the weapon Juras invented was not the colossus, but something unspecified. The story you’re referencing, “Mothership,” talks about how the colossi were called in AFTER Juras’s weapon was deployed. I actually thought the same thing the first few times I read it, but from the story:

Kalathi Bloodreavers had attacked the shields, screaming their bloodlust. Outnumbered and surrounded, the protoss had let loose their mighty weapon, and the kalathi had died. That was the flashpoint. The kalathi attacked protoss at every opportunity thereafter. General war had erupted and Colossi had been deployed. By the end of it all, hundreds of thousands of kalathi were dead.

But yeah as mentioned, they were the only robotic weapon developed by the Protoss Empire designed explicitly for war, with even reavers being mobile factories before artillery pieces. After they nearly wiped out a race named the Kalath with them when an attempt to deescalate their race plunging itself into war fell apart, the greater whole of protoss civilization were appalled by what happened, and the colossi were sealed away. The Purifiers just had an advanced version of them, but they were not a Purifier weapon exclusively.

The Conclave deemed them forbidden, but after the Fall of Aiur, information gotten from a recovered presever (who they never say directly but given the place in the timeline it basically has to be Zamara) gave the protoss the information they needed to find the sealed colossi and reactivate them, which is why they got them in SCII, the year before WoL they went on a bit of a colossus hunt.

Short stories that go into them, since Blizzard deleted all of them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgyb6ln6cvy47b2/StarCraft%20Short%20Story%20Backups.zip?dl=0

The two mentioned short stories that go deep into them are “Colossus” (obviously) and “Mothership,” in the Wings of Liberty era folder.

2 Likes

You mean in the last two or three thousand years that the Empire existed? And the protoss lifespan is over a millennium? And the empire somehow declined onto nothing within the last few centuries or so?

In BW, Zeratul states he is thousands of years old. His stated age in the SC1 manual is in the 700s.

The scales are inconsistent and nonsensical. The backstory and dialogue describes the Empire as encompassing many alien civilizations, within the lifetimes of the current living cast. What we actually see in the games is a couple inhabited planets with a few settlements on other nearby planets. There are no other civilizations in Koprulu besides terran, protoss, and zerg.

I find this frustrating, lazy writing. Does anybody else find it frustrating? Also, I’m morbidly curious how Blizzard will retcon all that backstory into oblivion in future installments.

hyperbole, you know?
so expressly not to be taken literally as the use of infinitive to express a point of magnitude and 3000 years is only the period that the psionic matrix was activated

[

because the koprulu sector is only a fraction of the protoss empire, the protoss have colonies in an area that the terran has not reached
and already mentioned intelligent races that have contacted the protoss, one was sent to the stone age and the other is a tribute to the Yautja
and to call parde planets has already mentioned hundreds of planets, it has also been suggested that the protoss colonization mentality is different from the human conception they are quite based on not creating ecological damage so saturating each planet they occupy is not their goal and its dominance of territory is not physical presence but area of influence

Aiur is located inside the Koprulu as of the latest retcons. That’s the problem.

And even if it wasn’t, the scales are still wrong because the protoss shouldn’t have been so effortlessly defeated by the invasion of Aiur. That’s like saying Earth could be defeated by invading New York and nowhere else.

I’ve seen rationalizations that the zerg invaded the galactic empire with infested ghosts or whatever, but there’s zero evidence of that. Great idea, more interesting than canon, but still pure headcanon.

Plot twist. If you destroy the governing body of a people as well as most of its military leadership and a significant amount of its infrastructure, it doesn’t matter how many boots on the ground they have left. If you took out every major city in America, it doesn’t matter that you have close to that many people again scattered throughout the rest of the country to deal with, because you’ve already crippled their ability to resist anything with any degree of effectiveness.

4 Likes

Daily reminder that lorewise all those Stargates and Warp Gates in the galaxy are teleporting armies from Aiur/Shakuras. Guess what happens when a macrocephalic entity get its head cut :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

When did the protoss actually completely abandoned Auir? I never finished SC1 remastered as I’m just not a fan of BW Zerg (I am still at the mission where you have to kill UED scientists). But in the UED campaign, the protoss still have a foothold in Auir when you have to destroy Raynor’s Command Center. I know Fenix and Raynor leave but do we know when the remaining protoss completely pulled out?

Also protoss are kind of losers lore wise unless they have the Spear of Adun around, or do some crap with Xelnaga artifacts and temples . I guess they did kill the Overmind.

Technically, they never fully managed to. Some got stranded during the Evacuation. About a year before Wings of Liberty, with the help of some terrans and a preserver they managed to repair the warp gate that Raynor and Fenix had disabled, and the survivors were either finally fully evacuated, or killed by the zerg and/or a dark archon renegade called Ulrezaj. If you want more details, those are the events of the Dark Templar Saga trilogy of books.

And yeah, the protoss get shafted a lot, but given their position as the technological apex with planet killing technology, they pretty much have to have been taken out with a sucker punch for their story to have an real stakes. Otherwise they would absolutely have had the power to annihilate the zerg and terrans if they really wanted to and were willing to pay that price.

1 Like

I was assuming that the Empire was far more robust and had numerous capital planets, not so weak that attacking a single planet dooms them all.

They killed the Overmind with a plot device. It makes them look like worse losers. Cheaters.

The protoss didn’t need to be losers. I don’t understand why Blizzard made that decision. The ancient dying space elves is a cliche, and one I’ll happily do without.

I don’t think they needed to be taken out with a sucker punch. There are so many other ways this could have been addressed without turning them into stupid worthless wimps whose every victory is stolen from them by a cheap plot device.

The original manual mentioned their overwhelming power and included provisions for why they didn’t win despite having the power to. The Akilae faction didn’t want to exterminate the terrans, so they would defy the Ara faction’s orders to do so.

There are plenty of other explanations that could have been offered to. Maybe they’re stretched too thinly dealing with the rest of the galaxy, putting down rebellions, fighting bigger threats, whatever!

Not that it really matters anymore since Blizz can and does pull new protoss civilizations out of the woodwork, like the ihan-rii. I suspect there’s more where they came from.

You know what happens when you assume. Your precious manual specifically says that the protoss forces are all mustered on Aiur and deployed across the gateways and such from there. Besides which, with FTL communication, theres no advantage to having a decentralized government. It didn’t work for Rome especially well even with actual logistical hurdles it was meant to overcome.

They killed the Overmind with brute force. Play the freaking game before you comment on it.

4 Likes

This is a little simplistic but in SC2 it’s pretty much like this:

With Spear of Adun Protoss win

Without Spear of Adun Protoss lose

Almost didn’t upvote. You have a glaring spelling mistake.

It’s mAnUaL

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it precious. It’s more inspiring than the game script, but at the end of the day it’s basically something an intern write to give flavor. It has its fair share of vagueness, oddities, and inconsistencies.

The manual is vague and inconsistent. I don’t think the author really thought it all through.

That’s not how governments work. They actually become increasingly inefficient as their size increases and thus centralization only really exists in name. All the bureaucracy would be done locally.

Also, even FTL communication doesn’t obviate all logistical barriers. Radio doesn’t on Earth today. The government bureaucracy would become more inefficient to compensate. What little we know about the SC universe suggests FTL isn’t a magic silver bullet.

It’s also fiction anyway so it runs on Blizzard’s fiat rather than anything as sensible as logic. Trying to argue logically is an exercise in insanity and double think. It’s pretty obvious we’re all mad as hatters here.

They broke its shell by literally throwing infantry and vehicles and aircraft at it. Tassadar had to kill it with a magic plot device to ensure it would stay dead… until the cerebrates made a new one anyway. Blizzard Quality, am I right?

I played loads of times. The plot doesn’t get any less mind numbingly stupid. I think it killed enough of my brain cells already that I’m going senile.

You should really stop playing before your brain falls out too. It’s already making you hugely aggressive like a rage zombie. We’re already mad as hatters, isn’t that enough?

It’s glorified fanfiction written by an intern to add pointless flavor with no impact on the actual story. That’s Blizzard quality for you. All style, no substance, no sanity.

You previously said that you’ve never played the games before. So you were either lying then or youre lying now. Either way, why should I listen to anything you have to say?

You don’t have to listen to me at all. You clearly hate me and think my opinion is crap. Also, I’m sorry for being an a*hole to you all those times I don’t remember.

I must be going senile, because I distinctly remember playing the games and going through the scripts multiple times to make sure my memory was accurate. I had to scour the internet archive to find complete transcripts. I have plenty achievements on bnet.

My problem is that I can’t take Starcraft seriously due to its poor writing. Starcraft 1 isn’t anywhere near as good as people claim it is. It’s a mess of random cool ideas. I constantly get the impression that everybody else worships it as gospel. Do you even like the story of Starcraft or are you here out of morbid fascination?

Great. You don’t like it. We do. Youre in here crapping on a thing we like for no reason. You don’t seem to understand why this incites hostility. Move on with your life.

6 Likes

I like the story of Starcraft and I also think it’s full of flaw. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.

3 Likes