Co-Op Mutation #275: Portal Power

Amon’s forces are fanatical in their efforts to take down Sgt. Hammer’s useless fortress. Reinforcements surge forth from the Void, brimming with new and terrible power. Match their strength and crush the Void Thrashers.

Void Rifts - Void Rifts periodically appear in random locations and spawn enemy units until destroyed.
Power Overwhelming - All enemy units have energy and use random abilities.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Rift spawn timings

Time Rifts
2:20 2 Rifts
3:50 2 Rifts
5:20 2 Rifts
6:50 2 Rifts
8:20 4 Rifts
9:50 4 Rifts
11:20 4 Rifts
12:50 4 Rifts
14:20/+90s 4 Rifts

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• FIRST FOUR SETS of Void Rifts possible spawn locations:
  • Each Void Rift has 500HP, and their spawnings are signalled by a minimap ping on each Rift.
  • The first Void Rifts spawn very close to your base, however the Rifts start to spawn further, often behind enemy lines.
  • Units spawned from Void Rifts DO get the Power Overwhelming buff.
  • Units that spawn from Void Rifts do not drop biomass for Abathur nor essence for Dehaka.
  • Time stop delays by 20 seconds the spawn time of Void Rifts.
  • Abilities used by the enemy include Abduct, Black Hole, Defensive Matrix, Disabling Cloud, Disruption Web, Force Field, Fungal Growth, Guardian Shield, Graviton Beam, [Hybrid Structure Disable Thing], Irradiate, Parasitic Bomb, Point Defense Drone, Psionic Orb, Psionic Storm, Seeker Missile, Snipe, Time Warp.
  • There is no means to determine what spells each enemy unit has until they actually use it.
  • Although the enemy does not target-fire Artosis Pylons, they will sometimes cast disabling spells on them.

Commander of the Week: Commander of the week [Portal Power] - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com
Mutation difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE03WFZfPAz00OE5kIixYw/community?lb=UgyyQmV4KtehlP3FWbh4AaABCQ
Do you like this mutation? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE03WFZfPAz00OE5kIixYw/community?lb=UgxiPsbx8zYJ755LN3R4AaABCQ

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

4 Likes

40,109. this week 3rd…

this week 1st clear Tychus P2+Artanis

Mutation (Portal Power) play list

3 Likes

I think your Mengsk EO should be well here.

I don’t have much for this week. Unpopular opinion: I hate void rifts more than any other mutator, even fatal attraction (when playing solo). Maybe I overestimate the strength of unattended rifts. It seems like leaving rifts alone for even 30 seconds is too long. Power Overwhelming completely wrecks small units and also adds another element of RNG.

A subpar Abathur run that doesn’t even get the bonus.
Abathur (p0) Starcraft 2 Co-op Mutation #40: Portal Power - Abathur Solo (p0) [=Brutal+5] - YouTube

I got to 18 min with Tychus p2, but I got so sick of trying that I just gave up. (I also hate playing Tychus p2.)

6 Likes

Void Rift is gonna be annoying to deal with, and even worse when paired with a leacher

Gonna do P3 Zag. Deep tunnel in, kill the rifts, move on.

Huh… picked a good week to go on travel :smiley: Will try to get the highest level, but otherwise, take it or leave it.

Did it in Hard with Tychus P2.
Tychus attacking while other outlaws defending.
Ally ended up dealing with void rifts…probably…didn’t see him on the battlefield until the very end when Tychus got himself killed and I had to bring another outlaw to finish the job. He did finish off the bonus the Odin bombarded until it ran away though.

Sirius was happily drooling with his tongue out and daydreaming while my expansion got killed…ok I understand this *bleep* being too dumb to use turrets on its own, but why isn’t he even using his own weapon :rage:?

Hard really is stressful, that’s why I only play it so rarely and only on mutation.
Good riddance, no more of that for a while.

As with any case where Void Rifts are. Abathur raced with all the Rifts while Tychus did the rest. Only the Rifts that spawn behind the enemy base in the middle are problematic.

Skiiiipping this week. Void Rifts are no fun and require too much multitasking to deal with, let alone mixing it with other mutators.

2 Likes

It’s hard to overestimate unattended rifts. :stuck_out_tongue:
Especially with Power Overwhelming, which makes it that even a singular unit spawning can kill an entire earlygame intercepting force and give the rift more time to spawn extra units, which snowballs really quickly.

Plus, unless doing a cheese, Rifts are a mutator that usually requires two players to cooperate, so I can understand why soloers might prefer Fatal Attraction (which doesn’t actually affect game pacing) to Rifts (which forces aggression while also sacrificing economy in the earlygame).

Did it on Brutal as Zeratul P0 with a HannHorner partner (P1).

The first 2 void rifts spawned pretty far, had to leave 1 alive until Zeratul spawned and teleported to it. The next 4 spawned in convenient locations though

After the 6th rift, my HnH partner had his striker platforms up. The rest of the mission went pretty well, although poweroverwhelming is super annoying.

This one is terrible.

1 Like

Abathur vs a ground comp is probably the easiest way, as long you don’t get black-holed and lose an early bruta. Went quite smoothly with a Kerri ally even though I didn’t play that well.

1 Like

want P2 Abathur with a Tychus ally, I DT to the majority of rifts, he handled the thrashers, went pretty well.

my first and second tries were with P1 Raynor, and P0 Swann respectfully, needless to say it didn’t go very well…

Raynor beats this pretty easily just have to rally to the rifts snipe. also hyperion so good ability to tp and kill all rifts is fine as well

Twotuu doesn’t talk for all soloers, many like the mutator as it’s one of the few mutators that really test your multitask skill, specially if not using abathur. Void rifts solos can be a pain to make, but they get the most recognition.

2 Likes

OMG I beat the brutation on the third try with Tychus P2 and Karax P3 ally… using the most psychotic strategy ever. First try I had a level 10 Dehaka, second try I had a level 14 Artanis. Fun. We got the bonus.

Anyway I am really sure I gave my ally a heart attack as I spawned both the third and the final thrasher wave at the same time… we barely did it with the fortress having 475hp left lol. I am sure my ally hates me now. But Crooked Sam and Sirius were heroes this day. Early spawning was accomplished with odin nukes.

I did not actually intend to spawn both waves… I was trying to speed run… and uhh… made a few hasty decisions trying to stay ahead of void rifts. My ally used everything he had to support me, but it worked.

This week mutation reminded me the burning legions mutation. Sucks.

1 Like

Wow… managed to get Brutation bounty, but yeah this is, well, Brutal :\ And obnoxious

First game… Karax P2 + Tychus P2
I figured I can overwhelm the Void Rifts with mass a rush of Karax’ blend of tanky units. Nope! We put up a valiant effort, but got overrun. Even full Mastery into units wasn’t enough. Don’t think I could’ve rid the VR quickly enough. Towers were needed to deal with onslaught of units economically

Next game… Karax P3 + another Tychus P2
This one worked! I was on defense duty, occasionally sniping Void Rifts (VR) whenever they were within reach, or vision (e.g. an Outlaw is fighting enemies, I’ll go ahead and take out the VR).

Defensive towers on all 3… main choke, and each of our expansions paid dividends. I wasn’t able to send units to help my ally until the last wave of Void Thrashers, but that’s fine. Tychus excels at running around and blowing stuff up. Even better via Lone Wolf. Main thing was to take care of our bases from falling, and the rest would work itself out. (or as I like to say, take care of Tychus and Tychus will take care of you :slight_smile: )