Co-Op Mutation #275: Portal Power

It’s funny how week after week, regardless the brutal rating, there will be a decent portion of comments saying how horrible that particular week’s mutation is.

Just goes to show how poorly some of these are designed. And to an extent how poorly the mutators get paired.

1 Like

As HannHorner, I tried to destroy a Void Rift using striker platforms. But even after 6 strikes it was still standing. When I watched the replay, I realized an enemy point defense drone (spawned by Power Overwhelming) was nullifying all my attacks.

https://imgur.com/a/vSHcTQK
2 Likes

so I’ve done it a fair number of times now, but the most notable (or confusing) one was with me as tychus p2 and ally as zagara p1. about halfway through my ally left the game, it was confusing because the game seemed to have been going smoothly? but I just spammed a bunch of zagara’s explode-y boys and finished anyway.

Did that Tychus P2 happen to spawn the third and final wave of thrashers? My Karax P3 ally did what you described with setting up the towers and sniping the occasional rift.

I thought SFP could plow through Point Defense Drones? I just use 1 or 2 Karax Orbital Strikes on them, and they just immediately die (unless PDD’s don’t protect themselves).

I don’t believe so. Then again, the timings seemed to have been off. Was too “in the zone” then.

I believe the striker planes are just high speed units, so they can still be affected by the defense drones.

Another annoying thing about Amon’s defense drones is that your units/buildings do not auto-attack them even in range.

1 Like

Eh, it’s impossible to please everyone, especially in this day. :wine_glass: culture is too strong

3 Likes

I find it strange that people would think this one is poorly designed. Perhaps I missed something but there don’t appear to be any broken interactions and it’s simply a challenge of a player’s skill.

5 Likes

Yeah, agreed with both of you.

Well, if it was you I was paired with, sorry you got to witness my bad Tychus gameplay lol. The bonus was completed in the mission by crooked sam who died right after tossing the explosive, so if that happened in your mission then it was probably me you got paired up with.

Struggled a couple of times but in the end we managed to do it on brutal with a combination of zeratul P3 (herald of the void) with my ally going Tychus Lone Wolf. The key is just to take down the rifts fast and team up to take down the void trashers.

I opted for the void ray army, void suppression crystal as my first artifact to slow down the units, and the void blink upgrade as my second artifact to get out of harms way more often. I didn’t make any troops and used cannons for static defense in the natural, which I projected the shades of later when needed (after I got my second artifact). Spamming cleave helped eliminating the waves.

This combination seems to work better then Zeratul& Karax/ Zeratul & Mengsk.

1 Like

Zagara I found to be the easiest. Mengsk on paper sounds the best the problem is Mengsk needs time to set up and that isn’t possible with Randoms. Zagara’s swarmlings with their damage dodge ability I found to be the fastest way to gain control of a void rift. You just send a group them to run past defenses and attack the rift.

More than the combination what helped is the fact that tychus P2 is pretty stupidly good vs this mutation

Will do it on the weekend with stettman p1

If my partner happens to be a swan, h&h or some other global commander it will be a piece of cake.

Or I just masszergling them to death.

Aaaaand done

Me P1 Stettman and Ally p3 stukov

Had to be sure 2:20 was okay, so I went for P3 Zagara. Others handle it even better, but aren’t commanders I much like. P2 Tychus was my fallback plan though.

Early game wasn’t too bad. My game plan was to snipe every Rift quickly, delete attack waves and otherwise ‘soften and soak’ – soften defences and soak spells onto Zerglings.

Sadly my P2 Artanis ally didn’t really get to build up an army, with PDD spells neutralising his Dragoons all game long. Seems he averaged 50 supply total all game long, including probes.

Won a nailbiting final push at 100–200 HP with Roach Drop distracting the back two Thrashers long enough for Zagara to finish at the front and deep tunnel to the back to distract and kill them. Had to give up on Rift management to manage that final push, so meanwhile we were getting overrun. Was pretty fun but not ideal!

Edit: watching the replay I discovered an interesting little bug. If a Void Rift spawns within Artanis’s power field, it’ll be invisible on the minimap. Caused some real grief as it was an early rift in my ally’s expansion that I could’ve dealt with but didn’t know about for ages.

2 Likes

Played as Apex Zagara. First two tries, I had allies who needed to be carried. Even though I was taking out 90% of the rifts, they weren’t doing anything for objectives. So I had to do that as well. After 10+ minutes of that, I just left cuz they were dead weight and I could not keep up with doing everything.

Third try, had an Abathur ally who helped out a lot.

Huh, with Tychus P2 + H&H partner this was super easy :slight_smile: Enemy was mech (machines of war)

The first rifts spawn a bit too early for Tychus and the auto-turrets die to even a single zealot so ally had to defend until 3:00