Co-Op Mutation #255: Growing Threat

Amon’s forces have been altered by the terrazine on Bel’shir in unexpected ways. Increased adrenaline triggers unpredictable transformations and each new death unleshes new hostile forms. The most powerful of them have even developed nuclear capabilities.

Transmutation - Enemy units have a chance to transform into more powerful units whenever they deal damage.
Mutually Assured Destruction - Enemy Hybrid units detonate a Nuke upon death.
Alien Incubation - All enemy units spawn Broodlings upon death.

Rating:

Transmutation tiers

Tier Unit
0 Broodling/Other units
1 Zergling, Marine, Baneling
2 Reaper, Zealot, Roach, Hellion, Widow Mine, Hellbat
3 Marauder, Firebat, Adept, Sentry, Hydralisk
4 Stalker, Dragoon, Mutalisk, Goliath, High Templar
5 Viking, Warhound, Phoenix, Infestor, Banshee, Scout, Viking
6 Siege Tank, Oracle, Cyclone, Ghost, Swarm Host, Lurker
7 Ravager, Immortal, Archon, Voidray, Disruptor, Liberator
8 Broodlord, Ultralisk, Battlecruiser, Thor, Carrier, Tempest, Reaver
9 Loki, Hybrid Nemesis, Hybrid Reaver, Hybrid Destroyer
10 Hybrid Behemoth, Hybrid Dominator

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Network Administrator] Arcturus Merchant of Death
[CtG Primal Contender] Arcturus Architect of War
[CtG Soldier of Fortune] Ancalagon Frightful Fleshwelder
[CtG Highlord of the Tal’darim] Galle Hierarch of the Daelaam

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• Enemies have a chance of transforming when it deals damage. When an enemy kills one of your units it’s a guaranteed transform. Avoid losing ANYTHING whenever possible.
  • Enemies transform into tiers based on the supply of the units they kill. An enemy that kills a Zealot (2 supply) will level two tiers.
  • Units have a chance to transform into Hybrid. And those ALSO detonate nukes.
  • Hybrid nukes detonate after the death animation.
  • Alien Incubation spawns a number of broodlings proportionate to the slain unit’s supply cost.
  • Spawned broodlings can transform into units.
  • Enemy units, upon transforming, return to full health. Make sure to focus the strong ones before they become Hybrid.
  • The enemy is really effective at clearing out spider mines now. If you want to use them, make sure to place them at the exact spawn points, rather than the pathing. Alternatively, add ranged units to draw aggro away from the mines.
  • The broodlings sometimes wander into your expansions and transform up to hybrid as they kill workers. It’s a good idea to have some form of static defense or have insanely fast reactions to avoid losing workers.

Commander of the Week: Commander of the week [Growing Threat] - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com
Mutation difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE03WFZfPAz00OE5kIixYw/community?lb=UgzRDp482PqaMaBrrVR4AaABCQ
Do you like this mutation? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE03WFZfPAz00OE5kIixYw/community?lb=UgxzbpTJX07MFrDLSPF4AaABCQ

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

3 Likes

Please use lots of smaller units for extra hair pulling.

This has been your PSA.

2 Likes

Someone likes Vikings!

I can see Tychus and Abathur being okay for this one. At least it won’t give us a migraine this time!

1 Like

At the VERY LEAST, this brutation beats Flipping Out which cause me actual harm.

Beat this in Asian Server with Twohakas, no big D.

#20, #89 and this week… 3rd…

this week 1st clear Swann P2+Nova P2

Mutation (Growing Threat) play list.

1 Like

So this week mutation is for hero commander to shine?

A bit more difficult than I expected, maybe because we hit only zerg. A fiasco with Zeratul P3 they swarm him. Tychus P0 and Alarak P3 versus protoss and the win came without problems.

Going to have to try Lord of the Horde for lulz. :rofl:

Not easy.

Cleared with P2 Kerrigan and P1 Stukov ally. Cleared all side-objectives. Lost one vessel in the end due to the final wave where it has a lot of hybrids.

Not a clean victory here.

Maybe will attempt it again tomorrow for a cleaner win.

Did it in Normal with Zagara P1 and a Stukov P3 ally.
Took me a little time to realize I needed several Hatcheries, but then, the game of “how many time can I be told I require more minerals in a single game” started as I was constantly rebuilding my troops (sometimes I tried to make them pull out when the Hybrid died, but it’s not that easy.

Would have been easier if Transmutation could not make Hybrids, or if MAD nukes could also damage Amon forces (many mutations would be more funny with that addition)

edit: Oh right, cleared the objectives and destroyed the top base, though it’s because my ally was there and the bots were somewhat safe.

pretty much nothing is hard for P2 Stetmenn

1 Like

Dang, I don’t have P1 Stukov, which would’ve been nice. I guess I could try this with P0 Artanis.

I gotta agree with what CtG said in his recent video… Vertigo was annoying, but you can at least compensate for it. Here, you truly need to deal with it.

1 Like

Done as P3 Alarak with a Scourge Queen Zagara ally. Enemy comp was Zerg Lurker Hydra Ultra.

Lost one bot at the 2nd last location.

I chose Wrathwalkers over Ascendants, since they can snipe Hybrids from a safe range and while moving. I also researched Telekinesis quite fast, which I don’t for most regular maps.

Nonetheless there were some nukes close to my army and I’ve lost multiple units to nukes over the duration of the map. For example a Mass Teleport to 3’o’clock during the last wave, directly into evolving units caused me to lose several Wrathwalkers and Destroyers. Whoops.

Zagara just facetanked everything, as expected. We were a good team. Overall a fun and engaging mutation.

Nova huh thats a brave pick, I understand snipes usuage for the range but still. For brutal +4 thats ruff

It’s a lot harder than anticipated. End up still yet to clear after 10 tries. Got tired.

3 Likes

First try as P1 Alarak, managed both optionals and almost cleared the enemy base, just my teammate was focused on defense as a Lone Wolf Tychus which he played very well.

Buffed Wrathwalkers is a good answer for this mutation, can just keep a ball of Wrathwalkers and Supplicants out of nuke range and let Alarak eat everything thrown at him :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Victory in the first game with Stetmann P1 and ally Tychus P2. Mission completed with both side missions and losing a robot in the 3rd wave. I went with zerglin, baneling, hydra and ultras (Solo 2) against airzerg (Guardian, devourer, mutates). I was mainly a support for my ally who spread his outlaws everywhere.

Had a few fails as Vorazun P1. Black Hole is nice but need early firepower to kill transmutated units.

Finally did it as Kerri P0, with Dehaka ally. Lost a bot in 3rd wave but managed to save all of the last wave. Hybrids dying near the bots…aaargh! Skipped the bonuses.

Considering the synergy of all 3 mutators, this is more of B+5, almost +6:

• Broodling from dead unit (Alien Incubation) eventually Transmutates to Hybrid and Nukes upon death

PSA: Transmutated units head straight to your bases if they’ve got nothing else to attack. Unlike regular units just hanging around, which go back to their positions once you withdraw. So don’t harass the enemy strongholds in the bot paths unless you plan to clear them.

• one short fail game: had a marine near the 1st geyser turn into a zealot and attack my first DP at 2 mins. I insta-quit.
1 Like

This mutation reminds me of the Boom Bots/Kill Bots mutation we’ve had on this map before: you die to the first wave or it’s a snore fest to victory.

Name of the game this week is “don’t get hit”

1 Like

P1 Stukov volatile infested does a good job keeping the hybrid at bay.