Co-Op Mutation #239: Bad Weather

Amon’s forces tear through reality and make landfall across Augustgrad as tornadoes rampage throughout the city. Can you weather the storm and close the rifts before it’s too late?

Void Rifts - Void Rifts periodically appear in random locations and spawn enemy units until destroyed.
Twister - Tornadoes move across the map, damaging and knocking back player units in their path.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Chaotic Power Couple] Ancalagon Akhundelar
[CtG Shadow of Death] Ancalagon Arkship Commandant
[CtG Evolution Master] SOLO
[CtG Primal Pack Leader] Mengsk Merchant of Death

Void Rift Spawn Timings:

Time Rifts
2:20 2 Rifts
3:50 2 Rifts
5:20 2 Rifts
6:50 2 Rifts
8:20 4 Rifts
9:50 4 Rifts
11:20 4 Rifts
12:50 4 Rifts
14:20; + every 90s 4 Rifts

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• This is the second rerun of Bad Weather.
  • Each Void Rift has 500HP, and their spawnings are signalled by a minimap ping on each Rift.
  • [Rift spawn locations] in the first 8 minutes
  • [How to see Void Rifts on the minimap]
  • Time stop delays by 20 seconds the spawn time of Void Rifts.
  • Units that spawn from Void Rifts neither not drop biomass for Abathur, nor essence for Dehaka.
  • Twisters can go into the expansion area, but not its mineral line.
  • Twisters can throw around hero and massive units, but not buildings.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/24764734
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/24764774
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/24764828

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

5 Likes

this mutation is 3rd. haha. 4, 73 and this week.
1st clear Han and Horner P3+Swann
Mutation (Bad Weather) play list.

Yay Void Rifts. Time to bust out the Han and Horner.

The perfection of having Mengsk played by Mengsk.

2 Likes

I remember this one being really cancer.

Did it as Karax P3 with a HannHorner P2 partner.

Got rid of the first 5 void rifts using orbital strikes until my partner could get his striker platforms up. After that I spread observers around the map to get a better view for incoming void rifts.

1 Like

This Brutation was more difficult than I thought it would be, tornadoes are actually quite annoying.

Took me two tries, first one involved bad RNG as I had vipers against Alarak death fleet, second try used Tychus Odin and it went much smoother. Had Karax structure defense prestige partner both times.

This was very easy, did it with a lvl10 Vorazun with Spirit of Respite enabled, and managed to win despite a Raynor leech (if it had not been a mutation and first game of the day, I think I would have went like “To hell with that” and destroyed him :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:; you weren’t there, you can’t understand).
But the mutation wasn’t too hard, just need to be careful in the beginning when attacked from multiple locations, but then the rifts open elsewhere and it’s more peaceful.

nice. As with most rift maps, H&H should be EZ since you can target rifts in unexplored places by waving your pointer around until the outline shows.
Once you have napalm, it only takes two hits (if you let the fire burn for a little before sending second strike).

Done as P3 Alarak with a level 11 P2 Swann ally, including bonus. Enemy comp was Protoss with Arbiters and Carriers in the later waves.

Swann chilled in the main base, while I was on the offense.

Done this with P2 Kerrigan and P0 Stukov. Hard game imo.

Haven’t tried it yet, but I think some Mengsk ESO cheese helped by a Karax ally to heal ESO’s damaged by twisters (and maybe also defend a bit) might work pretty well.

Twisters don’t damage buildings.

I wonder if a solo (as in, without any army) Zera P3 can pull it off. That would make the twisters less of an issue with just one unit to micro around. It worked well last week. Or maybe a solo P2 with the extra artifacts + the Devolution Wave to soften the enemies up.

Watchers could be deployed around to give vision.

I’ll have to try it out.

Difficult mutation made easy with a good random H&H ally who took care of the rifts, attack waves, and then some. As Zagara, I sniped the shards and bonuses with 50-70 scourges each. Kept the fragile army at home and only came out when I could maneuver them around the twisters.

Zeratul without any army can’t do much to kill the rifts, but zeratul with cannons or army works fine.

Yeah, since I posted that, I though possibly a P2 with a huge mass of cannons (no army) back in the main base to deploy around where needed. The Voidseeker can drop me anywhere which will give vision for the rifts.

Void seeker has 3 minute cooldown and rifts spawn every 4 every 90 seconds, so depending on it isn’t a good plan, but spreading observers for vision and using cannons works.

True. Thanks!

Edit: In the end, I had Swann ally who defended both our mains/expos and dealt with the closer rifts, while my P3 Zera (and full army) dealt with the further away ones and rolled over the enemy bases like P3 Zera does. It when fairly well.

This week is harder than last one and you need a bit more of cooperation and early defenses (hard to do the fast expo) but still very doable.