Co-Op Mutation #231: Blasting Off Again

Your enemies have activated the self-destruction sequence of their base as your armies corner them. Now you must prevent them from shipping their special cargo off-world while all manner of violent explosions and unexpected lava erupt all around you.

Going Nuclear - Nukes are launched at random throughout the map.
Lava Burst - Lava periodically burst from the ground at random locations and deals damage to player air and ground units.
Power Overwhelming - All enemy units have energy and use random abilities.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Lone Puppy] Ancalagon Architect of War
[CtG Lord of the Horde] Galle Mercenary Leader and Dominion Admiral
[CtG Network Administrator] Ancalagon Signal Savant
[CtG Primal Pack Leader] Terribleness Dominion Ghost

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• Abilities used by the enemy include Abduct, Black Hole, Defensive Matrix, Disabling Cloud, Disruption Web, Force Field, Fungal Growth, Guardian Shield, Graviton Beam, [Hybrid Structure Disable Thing], Irradiate, Parasitic Bomb, Point Defense Drone, Psionic Orb, Psionic Storm, Seeker Missile, Snipe, Time Warp.
  • There is no means to determine what spells each enemy unit has until they actually use it.
  • Dehaka does not get the psionic buff from devouring units, even though everyone s a spellcaster. The unit tag still takes precedence
  • Mind controlling units will make them lose all their mutator buffs.
  • The warning spot for Going Nuclear is the large targeting area. However, you only have 5 Blizzard seconds of warning before the nuke hits.
  • The Lava Bursts appear all around your bases, but not in the mineral line. It is probably wise to build your expansion on-location.
  • Lava Bursts hit air units, like in Vermillion Problem.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/20779005
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/20779006
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/20779007

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

7 Likes

It was an easy mutation in a few weeks.
1st clear Artanis+Karax.

#231 Mutation (Blasting Off Again) play list.

1 Like

Power overwhelming is always harder than I think it’s going to be. Still, this should be a step down from the last few weeks.

2 Likes

Yup, it usually tends to be nasty.

And lava burst is not exactly easy to dodge either. Add nukes to that and…
I don’t see this as easier than previous ones, but I guess it all depends on playstyle and favorite commanders. Still, you definetly don’t want to play against swarmy compositions on this one.

As a worst case scenario, imagine having your army caught in a black hole, while lava bursts from underneath, 1 or 2 psi orbs go towards it and on top of all, a nuke red circle appears :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Throwing the strategy out there. P3 Karax + P0-3 (P1 faster) Stetmann. Enjoy the snipe and win, with little hassle against 2 mutators. Dealing with a Power Overwhelming enemy is pretty simple. Enjoy.

1 Like

This mutation is really spooky if you’re venturing out of your base with an army. Because you can get nasty stuff like fungal or black hole while a nuke marker appears underneath you…

4 Likes

Easiest week for Zagara

Is this hell?
/20chars

1 Like

I think there’s two ways to do this - one with a smaller, elite army like Mengsk P2, Nova, (maybe Dehak P3 if your micro is really good), plus the usual suspects of Aba, Tychus, and Zeratul. Or you can go super fast, super replaceable army like Zagara, Stukov, or zergling focused Stetmann or Kerrigan.

This is the worst for commanders that fall in the middle of that. Alarak, Swann, Fenix, Karax, Raynor, etc. Larger armies with units that don’t move especially fast.

Playing stetman p2 again. Blue zone go zoom zoom and both my team and my computers arent potatoes so that gets rid of the only con

Seems like one that Mirage Karax P3 will excel in

Let me know how many scourge you lose to fungal.

I won’t build any, just bile launchers

And they can hit the enemies all the way from your base? Or they can survive lava bursts and nukes (since they are not heroic and have lots of HP)? :open_mouth:

Yep, from safe zone.

Now that I am eager to see. Perhaps I should try for myself to see just how far bile launchers can reach.

easy week, but still lava and nukes is always annoying to deal with on this map

That is why you play Artanis

sinatrA is quite nice here but then Karax prestige 3 shows up and you are like “I can sit home and watch the show”.

last time i played it was lava bursts + blizard. The problem with nukes is that they hit deeper into safe zone then those two. So build them further back to just hit portals.

Unluckily i got raynor lvl10 as ally and we could not def one of the early waves and i lost a ton of mid biles + some shuttles. Still could hold them until the last wave where 2 more escaped. Perfectly doable with half decent ally