Co-Op Mutation #221: The Longest Night

The Laggiest Night
2 Laggy 4 Me

then I switch servers to NA expecting it to be even worse, and yet no lag at all :thinking:

Failed as Raynor w/ Mengsk ally. Cleared ~90% of the buildings but was overwhelmed onā€¦night 5 I think?

Then failed as HH with Zeratul ally. We seriously had like 2-3 buildings left; my base got destroyed (lost my army, lost my strike platforms) and my last refinery was lost before my ally could destroy the last building.

Then switched to Zagara, got an Abuthur ally. Beat it fairly comfortably; Abby plugged the entrances with swarm hosts, roaches, and queens, and I swarmed back and forth on defense (playing by mini-map, haha). I think we beat it at the beginning of Day 5. If it had gone any longer, Zagara was going to run out of steam, but sheā€™s just incredible on this map.

1 Like

Swann + Zagara (facepalm)
Mengsk + Karax
Abathur + Stetmann

On the forums here? I guess Iā€™ve been turning a blind eye to it haha

Oh I also tried with Fenix, thinking that rushing Colossi would be a good strategy. I think this may have worked great, but 1) Iā€™m not very good with Fenix, and 2) I got a dud of an ally. Iā€™d like to try it again.

Iā€™d love to see the Swann perspective from the CtG (Dehaka)-Punisher (Swann) game.

I think itā€™s here StarCraft 2 Coop Mutation The longest Night (Die lƤngste Nacht) CTG und Punisher German Deutsch - YouTube

1 Like

As Vorazun, got Raiding Party (BCā€™s, Ghost) for 1st and 2nd runs. Both with a chat-room Swann ally, who insisted it would be fine. 2nd run had Spotters, so that just made my DTā€™s glorified Arty Zealots. Ally left coz I ā€œtook too long to get DTā€™s outā€. They were out, I just didnā€™t attack with them coz I was spending time & gas on Stargate and Corsairs.

Anyway, 3rd run (victory) was with a non-random Abathur ally. Got Machines of War (Thors) so Teran again. Took 43 mins to complete. Abbyā€™s Ultimates and my Cloaked unit damage was the same - 256k! ā€¦to give an idea of how bad the enemy comp is. And with Hunterlings, so lost probes in the beginning and then forgot I parked them safely. Lost 2-3 mins of mining time with 24 probes (around 3k minerals un-mined) before I relaised. Was floating a LOT of vespene. Slowly re-built army and then we stuck together while going through the map. Was a victory but felt like a defeat.

4th run was Fleet of the Matriarch (Arbiter, Corsair, Scout, Carrier) so again, resources being spent on even more Corsairs instead of DTā€™s. Lost army more than once. Side note: when a choker grabbed some Corsairs or Oracles and they died, they got re-pulled after emergency recall from the Nexus back out past the North-East entrance. WTH? Maybe that happened with DTā€™s too but I didnā€™t see.

Yes! (20 characters)

Chokers are the worst on this mission! The extra range means theyā€™ll often grab siege tanks, and the non-stunned tanks wonā€™t be in range to kill the choker - twice, of course.

The stank is pretty brutal too. Killing it twice is basically a guarantee that one entrance is going to get heavily damaged or even wiped out.

This is a fun mission though. I like the mutators that put an incredible amount of pressure, as opposed to messing with core mechanics (like last week).

1 Like

First run as Swann, got a Raynor ally, against Zerg. The problem was pretty much the Spotters, and around the 5th night there were a lot of them. They shut down huge chunks of my static defenses. My ally also suffered a bit of a setback when a lurker got into their mineral line which did some decent damage before they realized it. Despite all that, we did pretty well. We only had about 15 structures left when we were overrun.

Second run as Swann again, got a Nova ally, against Terran. I was skeptical but we finished it. She massed all the cloaked units with Ravens following behind and manually sniped any detectors she encountered. No Spotters or Chokers, but the top entrance got nuked a few times. Minimal losses though (the structure armor and fire suppression upgrades helped a ton). From the mid game on, our base looked ridiculousā€¦ tanks everywhere. My ally even donated four pairs of tanks to help out. On the last day, we had about 20 structures left so I unsieged my swarm of tanks and we moved out together to finish it.

Got it first go with a Swann ally. Played Han & Horner. Was a bit of a clunky game, but otherwise was really simple. Strike Fighters OP.

1 Like

Lost the first attempt as Swann and Tychus as my ally. If you start out at south base, be aware of Choker + Long rage as they can grab your workers from outside the base. They took my 27 workers count down to 12 workers. Ouch. This is the reason why I lost the first one.

Second round, same ally commander. I build Gatling Turrets this time to protect my workers. So far, Choker was too busy fighting the Turret and I was able to build more tanks quickly. Every things went smooth. We got the bonus and beat the game.

Yes, pls! Definitely. (With the exception of Void Rifts, coz they spawn at 2:20 instead of 3:30, which I think is ridiculous.) I suppose next weekā€™s is similar but Scythe of Amon is probably my weakest map.

My difficulty with this mutation was the compounding effect of Terran or Air enemy comps against Vorazun. I like to meme Void Rays on DoN but not for this mutation.

Apparently they have range 11 with this mutation which out-ranges everything. Optionally, if units are kept farther inside the base, then from the distance chokers can grab unit(s), theyā€™re already in vision range of some static def and attack range of other units.

Though, no idea how/why they can re-grab a unit that theyā€™ve killed which got Emergency Recallā€™ed. That grab I described :arrow_double_up: is easily 25-30 range across - from top nexus to outside north-east entrance, near the infested structs. Seems like a bug. Will a post a vid of that part.

What is the loss condition on DoN? One is you or your ally losing all structures, as with all other missions. Is there another loss cond for DoN?

Yup, was aware of this one from CtGā€™s video on it :slight_smile: (canā€™t find the link now). This applies to CoA and LnL too - any mission without a timer or timed objective. 32,767 seconds (the upper limit of a signed 16-bit integer).

Was wondering if there was something like not killing any infested structures during one day or night cycle, or something.

(Edit: a prev version of this said 32-bit instead of 16-bit)

Your structures must be entirely demolished (invincible ones will remain but results game over regardless)

There isā€¦ but it is unconventional.
You have to last over 9 hours (72 or 73 days/nights) in DoN.
The game automatically shuts down and everyone loses.

1 Like

15 structures left referring to infested structures left to kill before they wouldā€™ve won

1 Like

^^^ This. :slight_smile:

Indeed. Itā€™s been a long time since I calculated it but essentially all missions have a time limit. Not intentionally programmed, but a hard limit on the game timer. Thereā€™s a very specific number of game seconds that a mission can last before it crashes out to menu. Iirc, the client uses a 16-bit unsigned interger counter which allows for 65,535 game seconds (not real life seconds). Turns out I didnā€™t remember correctly. It uses 16-bit signed intergers allowing for 32,767 game seconds before crashing out.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying what they meant. Thought there was an additional fail condition mechanic in place.

2 ** 16 = 65,536.
So 0 to 65,535 game seconds if itā€™s unsigned (only non-negative) integers. Thatā€™s 18 hrs 12 mins 15secs, which is too long, the crash occurs in half this time.
If itā€™s signed integers, then includes negatives and goes from -32,768 to 32,767. Thatā€™s a max of 9 hrs, 6 mins, 7 secs, which is when the crash/end occurs; with no negative-time.

Since the engine was designed with ladder/pvp in mind, the draw-mechanic was probably expected to kick in well before this time limit was reached.

PS. If anyone reading this is wondering why the negative number is -32768 and the positive number is 32767: itā€™s so that thereā€™s an equal number of negative and non-negative numbers. Zero is ā€œnon-negativeā€.

• -32768 to -1 is 32,768 negative numbers in total
  • 0 to 32767 is 32,768 non-negative numbers in total
  • And whether signed or unsigned, the upper limit is 1 less than the ā€œtotal possibleā€ because it includes 0.
1 Like

Ah yes! It had been a long time since I had played around with the game timer. I thought that 18 hours seemed a little too long. Thanks for the clarification! Iā€™ll fix it above.

Found CtGā€™s 9-hour run of DoN:

1 Like