Co-Op Mutation #210: Call of the Void

Various vexing void vermin venture viciously via vents, villainously vandalizing Void Valley. Vanquish.

Void Rifts - Void Rifts periodically appear in random locations and spawn enemy units until destroyed.
Void Reanimators - Void Reanimators wander the battlefield, bringing your enemies back to life.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG (Abathur)] Iswald (Stukov)
[CtG (Raynor)] Ancalagon (Tychus)
[CtG (Vorazun)] Neometal (Swann)
[CtG (Zagara)] Iswald (Artanis)
[CtG (Han and Horner)] Ancalagon (Kerrigan)
[CtG (Karax)] Ancalagon (Fenix)

[ [Reddit Post Link]](Will add later)

Void Rift Timings

Time Rifts
2:20 2 Rifts
3:50 2 Rifts
5:20 2 Rifts
6:50 2 Rifts
8:20 4 Rifts
9:50 4 Rifts
11:20 4 Rifts
12:50 4 Rifts
14:20, and after every 90 seconds 4 Rifts

Other Notes:

• Each Void Rift has 500HP, and their spawnings are signalled by a minimap ping on each Rift.
  • The first Void Rifts spawn very close to your base, however the Rifts start to spawn further, often behind enemy lines.
  • Units that spawn from Void Rifts do not drop biomass nor essence.
  • Void Rifts tend to spawn in places where there are not a lot of enemy units, including mines, nearby.
  • A [Void Reanimator] is a ground unit that walks around the map and instantly revives a single random unit every few seconds.
  • The Void Reanimator has 200HP and 200 shields, runs around without any minimap indicator, and cares not whether you killed an enemy a minute or an hour ago. He will revive it.
  • If at any point in the game, you get a seemingly endless stream of enemies, try searching up their attack path. There are probably 2-3 Void Reanimators there.
  • Void Renimators revive enemies spawned from Void Rifts.
  • Void Reanimators do not revive Void Thrashers.
  • Up to four [4] Void Reanimators can be active on the map at any given time.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465889
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465890
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/19465894

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

12 Likes

Apologies for the delay. I did have the post all ready, but I needed to re-obtain Trust Level 3 by filling out the forum activity requirements, and then wait some hours for the Trust Level to update.

6 Likes

void map. void+void. … all void.

#210 Mutation (Call of the Void) play list.

1 Like

Mengsk + someone for def (pretty much like the previous mutation) should work pretty well imo. Karax would be the best choice in this scenario, his cannons with support from a few Mengsk tanks should be able to hold out pretty well.

With Mengsk you can drop troopers (and bunkers) into the top enemy base, destroy it (a bit harder if it’s protoss since they have cannons) to prevent reanimator spawns from there, then build ESOs there and Kill the main objectives and rifts (plus anything else you want). I think you can even go for killing all buildings to prevent reanimator spawns, but there are a lot of turrets spread around the map, so it might not be worth the time.

Karax actually can’t hold, you have to go and kill the rifts and the reanimators. Swann on the other hand can totally hold everything but it is not a very reliable way to do the mutation. Def is definitely not the way to go here.

6 Likes

Indeed, there is an over-estimation of Karax’ defense, forgetting that Swann outdoes him in I DEF!

3 Likes

Did it with Tychus/Zeratul but missed the bonus.
It was pretty messy - no expansions, and we mainly defended while using calldowns (Zoraya legion, Tychus nuke) to get rid of the void thrashers.

1 Like

Did it as Vorazun with a Zeratul ally; I walled off the ramp to my expo while my partner used his. Went pretty smooth, then had a hiccup that nearly killed us in the end.

Who said Karax can’t hold? Just turtle the 1st 15 mins and move out with carriers, ezpz. Karax is imba, needs nerf.

6 Likes

It is not becuse you can that he is better than Swann or that everyone can reproduce what you did.
As for those who say Abathur is the best here, that is assuming you can rush your ultimates and that is something most players (I don’t give a damn about elites) cannot do.

Why are you trolling senpai? Even if that Karax were AFK, he would still win the game.

VoidVoidVoid mutation is live, let’s goooooooooooo

Can creep tumors spawn void reanimators?

Try that again as Karax without ally killing rifts or providing vision for orbital strikes

2 Likes

In co-op? I hope it’s a joke.

1 Like

“killing rifts or providing vision for orbital strikes”

Ie. ally who does not rush (or instantly teleport) to the rifts anywhere on the map to kill them, or cover the entire map with tumors or anything else that would give you vision. For example someone who would just go for the objective and ignore rifts (so you as defender would have to tank all the units or go out yourself to stop them from spawning).
That would be hard as Karax, because his static D does not have aoe or stun/slow like some other commanders.

1 Like

Nobody is saying it’s easy. I tried to play Mira + Karax, galleons give vision for early rift killing and it’s pretty ok without teleporting around. Other commanders who don’t have acess to all map, may provide more vision for karax so it’s pretty doable. It didn’t won it thou, but don’t wanna play abathur or other cheese very much.

Zagara is quite good for early rift sniping (assuming they spawn ahead of the enemy units), so are Kerrigan’s lings and sinatrA’s zealots + spear.

Beat it with Kerrigan (me) and Stukov (ally).

Not very difficult once Stukov managed to fortified the middle with his bunkers where there is no void reanimator can walk pass it.

As Kerrigan, I have a lot of Nydus scattered around the map, thus it is extremely easy for me to destroy all the void rifts unless those that void rift spawned inside the base, which is not a problem because Stukov bunker will defend against it.

Able to defend and assist with his infested and summons, Stukov is definitely a viable commander for this week mutation.

It was intense, skipped the bonus just in case…