Chrono Boost Mastery Analysis

Chrono Boost is the free ability from Nexus, just to clarify that in case of any confusion. This discussion is aimed in particular at the merit and benefit of Chrono Boost Mastery available to Artanis, Vorazun, Karax, Alarak, and Fenix.

Okay, so what is it exactly?

• In-game description puts Chrono Boost at 22.5% faster.
    • My tests: 15/17sec on probe (88%), 23/28sec supplicant (82%), 32/38sec centurion (84%), etc. ==> actual reduction ranges 12%-18% ~15% without mastery
  • In-game description with mastery increases to 52.5% faster.
    • My tests: 12/17sec on probe (70%), 19/28sec supplicant (68%), 27/38sec centurion (71%), etc. ==> actual reduction ranges 29%-32% ~30% with mastery
  • Overall, clearly with my very human eye-hand coordination, as well as in-game timer being second by second, the estimation of mastery benefit is 15% (30-15).

An interesting case for saturation

• So when I tested the full saturation by Vorazun, here’s the results:
    • Energy Mastery: 21/21 probes at 2:08 with 840mineral banked, 1 Dark Pylon used.
    • Chrono Mastery: 21/21 probes at 2:01 with 630mineral banked, 1 Pylon built (the delay mostly occurred at waiting on pylon, 15/15 supply block.)
  • This kind of delay would similarly apply to Alarak and Fenix. However, it will not apply to Artanis and Karax due to their talent benefit. So the timing is 12sec probe x 9 (9 + 12initial to reach full saturation at 21) = 108sec or 1min48sec with similar banked mineral.

Despite the "increased speed" to Chrono Boost, the actual practical application of it doesn't point towards any real benefit in early economical start up, as many believes (or rather as it misleads people to believe).

An interesting case for research timings

• The total level 1, 2, and 3 upgrades takes 129, 154, and 179sec respectively, a total of 462sec. The difference gained here is 15% x 462sec = 69sec over all 3 upgrades. This is only 1min faster than without chrono assuming both start at the same time.
  • Citadel for Artanis has 4 researches, 60, 90, 60, 90sec, a total of 300sec, saved timed 45sec. Most other research-like structures for many other commanders holds a similar pattern, so one can infer here that each saves 45-60sec. Keep in mind this is in the course of the game. So generally, saving at most 2-3min in total in terms of relevant research obtained.

There is a clear indication that, on paper, Chrono Boost provides an upwards of 2-3min overall faster research time. However, Artanis's Orbital Strike expansion method (see Artanis Expansion Approach Discussion), Vorazun's similar Dark Pylon via Energy Mastery, Karax's Energy Mastery fast expansion, Alarak's Overcharge fast expansion, and Fenix's Staring Supply all boast a far far greater benefit. That is in the form of saved resources and/or much faster 2-base full saturation.

Coop is a mode where much of a player’s progression is gated behind the lack of resources during the first 5-6min of the game. Generally, once past this point, most (if not all) commanders have fully saturated on 2 base. Tech and army can therefore flourish from there onward.

The conclusion should not come as a surprise that Chrono Boost is not very useful. Perhaps even calling it wasteful is more appropriate on many occasions. One final note, I personally play without them by casting it on allies. Honestly, it hasn't really affected any key points in any mission's progression.

I am not here to tell you that you should or shouldn’t play with this mastery invested. Or even that of playing chrono’ing your ally versus yourself. Merely sharing this information to make more clear case on the actual numbers observed in my tests. You, as always, make that decision to enjoy the game.

5 Likes

Imo the only super impactful use of chrono is giving it to one of Nova’s production structures. It’s a huge edge case, but a 50% increase in cooldown speed (with the mastery) can be very helpful for her. (Granted her P1 gives a similar effect as is)

Same applies for Horner’s units right?

As far as I can see, P1 Karax can benefit from increased Chrono mastery for his monoliths, but still, getting 2 bases=more monoliths.

P1 Karax is the only exception. I probably should have mentioned that in OP.

Reason being the application to static defence significantly changes its damage output. That is assuming the player invest into more than 2 Nexi.

1 Like

You think that the in-game descriptions are incorrect?
Chrono Boost = 22.5 % faster = time reduced to 1/1,225 = 81.6% % = by 18.4 %
Chrono Boost with max mastery = 52.5 % faster = time reduced to 1/1.525 = to 65.6% = by 34.4 %

That seems to be in line with your test (considering the inaccuracy of those because the training time is displayed rounded to whole seconds, but actually is not)

Whether you think that 18% vs 34% train/research time reduction is worth it or not is up to you, usually the Spear of Adun energy mastery is also useful so you should have some mix of those, which is different for each commander of course.

Just want to ask you guys, how many Nexus do you build for more Chrono Boosts?
Recently I build up to 4 Nexus to speed up upgrades and speed up Robotics/Stargates.

I never build any extra Nexus. I would forget to use the chrono boost optimally anyway

I see that you have a similar misunderstanding of how chrono boost works. I have corrected another about the wrong chrono boost calculation.
Most of the reasoning for using chrono boost mastery by me and many others, you can find it here.

I used to when I first started co-op but then ran into this problem:

However, I’d say for gas-heavy builds - IF you have many points in Chrono Mastery - then build 2 extra Nexii. So 2 chronos for you, and 2 for ally. You’ll have fewer zealots to gift to Amon but he’ll find a way to live without the extra kills.

(A canon rushing P0/P1 Karax obviously won’t have the extra minerals for 2 extra Nexii - also, this is a mineral-heavy build.)

Bear in mind, for the cost of 4 Pylons, you’re getting approximately 2 pylons’ worth of supply (15 vs 16), and 100 sec vs 25 sec build time. So it effectively costs you 200 minerals, not 400.

The main challenge is using the Chrono effectively, either for faster army (hint: stargate/robo) or faster upgrades.