Cheese happens way to often

cheese ruins the game because
~ cheese games cause you to gain or loose the same mmr as 30 min macro games
~ cheese games are decided by micro over the course of a few seconds where as macro games is more of the average overtime
~it takes far more skill to defend than to execute
~one small mistake can tip the balance onto either side.
~the defender has to know every single cheese type and the proper response to it as well as scout where as the attacker doesn’t need to know anything but a build and basic micro.
~this is less objective but its not really fun to play against.
~are they fun to watch? well from what i can tell people enjoyed watching hases cheese with cannon rushing but not many people enjoy proxy all ins or find them as exciting.
~do cheesers find it fun? sure, you know what they find fun? the easy wins where they dont have to macro.

in short starcraft 2 is(and should be) a complex game that involves hard mechanics to master and important decisions that either player has to make, but with cheese its just one person executing one build order and hoping it ends the game.

Cheese happens to me maybe once every three games, now if it happened one in ten it would be like “oh wow look what hes doing its so unique” but it happens very often.(encase this is important im 4.2k)

What do i mean when i say cheese? well people have different definitions but when i say it i am referring to an all in that involves 1 base and structures that are separated from the main base(proxy) so things like cannon rushes and 3 rax reaper.

now do i think cheese should be removed entirely? no. i do however think it needs to be toned down about 15 notches, and i think the best way to do that is to buff base defense
suggestion:
change 1:
overall static defense buff, bunkers and cannons build faster, get more range, stuff like that.

change 2:
all static defense structures including shield batteries start with 1-20 hp and when they complete they gain their full hp, this will Nerf cannon rushing and make it easy to pick off cannons, if this is too much maybe the health can start at 1 and grow exponentially, so that way if the workers get there fast enough they can pick it off.

edit: keep in mind when i say easy i mean you can get really far on the ladder with it, relative to the amount of practice it takes.

8 Likes

As they should. The point is to win.

A lot of macro games are just one mediocrely controlled push ending the game at 10 mins, I don’t see how that’s better micro ‘average’ across the game.

Subjective, especially if you scout well and learn the proper reaction (which is a big part of the SC2 skillset).

Yes. It’s very exciting.

Yes. You have to earn your macro game son :stuck_out_tongue:

Disagree. Cheesier games can be really intense and get off the beaten track much more easily. The game is much more fun IMO once neither player has a script they can follow.

Only easy wins against people who play greedy and can’t scout :wink:

6 Likes

Short: Yes!
Long: Yes it should!

4 Likes

Truthfully I have to say I enjoy people trying to cheese me…gives an easy victory. Yes you have to learn how to counter them all. And yes its easier for the cheese guy to execute as it’s all he does. However…with proper scout and execution the cheese can backfire and become your cheese.

Ex: when you spot a cannon rush and your zerg. Pending the timing of the rush obviously…pick up the extra gas. Morph a small set of lings (send them to the enemy base since its likely undefended or has 1 cannon) and drop a roach warren and get your ravengers. if you cant break the cannon defense soon then you need to either expand using an overlord or keep just enough on the top ramp to hold and transport units to the opponents base which is always very poorly defended. You’ll have a clear advantage this way.

Honestly sending a simple worker to scout the enemy base early will prevent all cheese…if you scout and there is no barracks. No expansion or pool. No gateways…just assume cheese. Find it. Prepare for it. Counter it. Then push into the enemy. And never forget to macro in this process.

2 Likes

can we please get a function that allows me to permanently ignore, not just for 4 months

the 3 of you are quite bold for responding intellectually to this thread,

i doubt if somebody posted building a wall, or microing units happens way too often people would respond intelligently lol

Cheese keeps players honest. If cheese was somehow removed or made obsolete, every game would be a who can be more greedy for economy.

Why remove different ways to play the game?
If your answer is because you dont handle cheese well, maybe you should just learn.
If your answer is that you think cheese is an un-fun playstyle. So. The point of every game is to beat the opponent.

2 Likes

You are mistaking aggression for cheese.

I don’t have a problem with cheese in general, but there are certain strats that are consistently imbalanced. These are the kinds where, even if you know it’s coming, there’s little guarantee you can hold it, and even if you do hold, you’re behind no matter what. It’s a big part of the game and brings diverse strategies into every matchup, so I wouldn’t say get rid of all cheeses out right. It also keeps players in check (i.e. are they really scouting properly, are they aware of cheese strategies, etc.). If cheese didn’t exist, no one would have to scout.

What ruins this game in terms of cheese is, as you said, easy to execute strategies where the defender has to try super hard to survive while the cheeser has it easy. It’s not fun at all, and I’m sure many players have quit because of it. I know mid game macro games can be really boring, but seeing people win off stupid cheese strategies is no better. The game just ends in 3-4 minutes and the cheeser won because they pulled an imbalanced strat which threw the opponent off guard. I don’t see the fun in this at all, but apparently a lot of people find it exciting. It really isn’t.

2 Likes

I am not. What makes you think that

no, its easy if you get scouted, if your opponent doesnt scout you, its literally a free win.

and i know its easy because of how fast you can rank up by doing only cheese builds.

1 Like

Cheesy play is definitely overtuned in Sc2. But the worst thing is that LotV economy changes turned Sc2 into rock paper scissors. One minor scouting mistake and the game just ends by build order counter.

It is actually silly how coinflipy Legacy of the Void turned Sc2 into. This is the worst interaction of StarCraft we ever had by far.

im not sure about other races but i dont think thats true for terran

As it should. Principle of calculating cost/benefits. If you think not scouting is more beneficial to you and get the a.s.s. kicked, it’s your fault, not cheaser’s. People should be held responsable for their decisions.
End of story.

yeah ik i DO think it should be that way i agree, but at the same time, i think it should be easier to scout and respond to different types of cheeses, i can usually defend most prottoss and zerg rush but reaper rush sometimes get me and i have a pretty good response to it.

yeah sorry it wasnt clear what i meant, he was saying it like as long as you scout and dont play greedy cheese actually is difficult to pull off, and its harder but not even half as hard as playing the game normally.

Cheeses can be fun. keeps you honest. as far as having to scout and not being to greedy… Even then sometimes a cheese can catch you off guard and you have a split second to make a decision… just hope its the right one

“cheese ruins the game because
~ cheese games cause you to gain or loose the same mmr as 30 min macro games”

Isn’t that better than playing for 40 minutes only to lose in the end?
At least its quick and painless .

Sometimes cheese serves as a break between 2 long matches.

“~ cheese games are decided by micro over the course of a few seconds where as macro games is more of the average overtime”

Not true. I cannot count the amount of times (being Terran) after a long, long Macro game, where I made ONE mistake… ONE wrong engagement, ONE wrong decision and it’s all gone to hell.

A 200/200 fight can be as micro intensive as a Cheese situation, and it may ALL depend on that one moment were all your macro game decisions converge.

If you ask me, I’d rather be cheesed.

“~it takes far more skill to defend than to execute”

Depends on the Cheese. If you know how to read it, it can be ridiculously easy to counter. Marine rush? No big deal, 1 bunker, 1 hellion and its gone. If they insist, 1 tank.
Are you cannon rushing me? Lol, get out of here. That’s just a free win FOR ME!
(because how much more easy it is to defend than to pull off).

“~one small mistake can tip the balance onto either side.”

As I said earlier. Same thing can happen in any match, at any one time. No matter how long. And there isn’t just 1 mistake. First of all there is the mistake of “not scouting”, then “not reacting appropriately”, and so there’s 1, 2 and possibly more mistakes leading to you not defending a cheese.

“~the defender has to know every single cheese type and the proper response to it as well as scout where as the attacker doesn’t need to know anything but a build and basic micro.”

Possibly, just like the defender in any macro game has to know how to deal with any odd composition the opponent may propose. It takes experience for sure. Just like in any other aspect of the game.
But isn’t it cool when you get cheesed, so that next game you try that same cheese yourself and win?

“~this is less objective but its not really fun to play against.”

You’re right. Totally subjective point and therefore irrelevant. Idon’t like to play against skytoss or Bcs more than anyting in the world… and those are far from being “cheese builds”.

“~are they fun to watch? well from what i can tell people enjoyed watching hases cheese with cannon rushing but not many people enjoy proxy all ins or find them as exciting.”

Again, totally subjective. Who Are “these” People?

“~do cheesers find it fun? sure, you know what they find fun? the easy wins where they dont have to macro.”

You what you find fun? The hard wins where all you do is macro… Again, subjective.
And hell, you doesn’t like an easy win?? Whats the point of the game? Working hard and suffering? Or having fun? And are cheeses fun or what!

“~in short starcraft 2 is(and should be) a complex game that involves hard mechanics to master and important decisions that either player has to make, but with cheese its just one person executing one build order and hoping it ends the game.”

Im sorry but ALL games consist on someone wanting to “end the game” at some point.

Yep, hard mechanics to master. Including CHEESE, which you obviously have not and will not master with that attitude.
Its bloody easy to spot a cheese once you understand the pace of the game. And if you get caught on one., well. it happens, just like in a macro game where you responded late to an imminent late game threat.

One thing you fail to realize is that Cheese games are by no means that easy to pull off. Anything can go wrong, and as a cheeser, you need to really practice your cheese to polish it, and you have to really know when and agasint who *race( you can or cannot do it.
I cannot marine rush zerg for example.

On the other hand it takes a HUGE risk to indulge in a cheese. Take that into consideration. Cheesing its not free, and can backfire very easy.

And you know whats even better than an easy wins where you dont have to macro?? Beating a CHEESE!!! Thats the best, feeling that you outsmarted a cheeser.
I always let cannon rushers think they are gonna get it, and then, BAM… tank is out… and CC is not even there… or I rush them back at their base, which is hilarious as its always pretty much undefended.
So you can totally exploit cheesers and their chessy builds.

“~Cheese happens to me maybe once every three games, now if it happened one in ten it would be like “oh wow look what hes doing its so unique” but it happens very often.(encase this is important im 4.2k)”

I tell you again, once you learn how to react, you will be loving it when they cheese, 'cause youll know exactly how to stop it and laugh at them real hard.

Proxies and **** like that, are only a valid strategy, and like I said, it takes HUGE risks. Cheese isnt for free.

As per the changed… would you suggest a “proper way to play”, having players banned if they play too aggresive? Thats just nonsensical.

“change 1:
overall static defense buff, bunkers and cannons build faster, get more range, stuff like that.”

Cool, so now we’ll all have turtle macro 50 minutes games!.. (rather play Age of Empires then).

On the other hand, cannons building faster would HELP cannon rushers, lol!!
And it wouldnt be fair for those macro over expanding Protoss… to have that many cannons build faster and have more range (you suggest as much range as a siege tank?)
You see how your changes can cause the opposite effect?

change 2:
all static defense structures including shield batteries start with 1-20 hp and when they complete they gain their full hp, this will Nerf cannon rushing and make it easy to pick off cannons, if this is too much maybe the health can start at 1 and grow exponentially, so that way if the workers get there fast enough they can pick it off.

Dont you realize Shield batteries are used preciely for cheese? Voidray cheese anyone?

So I agree with you about Voidrays… OP. Can beat you even if you know its coming, so scouting is not enough. You gotta scout early and maintain a good economy while fighting the cheese. But even then, its one of the most satisfactory wins when you beat a voidray or dark templar.

The other day I got this guy who started cannon rush, to then go mass voidray and later Dts… what a dirty ****… but possibly one of the most pleasant wins in the end for me.

“edit: keep in mind when i say easy i mean you can get really far on the ladder with it, relative to the amount of practice it takes.”

You are wrong. It does take practice, and theres a point in the ladder at which different cheeses will STOP WORKING. Because people at that level SHOULD KNOW BETTER (and they do).
So should you, instead of complaining and asking for everybody to “play differently” because you dont like how they play.
Imagine in sports… you telling other teams that they shouldn’t play overly offensive or shouldn’t play counter-attack… etc. It just makes no sense and it would defeat the purpose of expressing yourself genuinely and freely, as well as the pleasure of “coming up with a strategy that works”.

You sir need to figure out that strategy and stop complaining.

Mod Edit: Removed inappropriate language.

Your problem is a lot better explained over here:

sirlin DOT net SLASH articles SLASH playing-to-win

i disagree with you. The problem with cheese these days is that if it fails, the cheeser is NOT behind.

Take cannon rush.

In WOL/HOTS when cannon rush failed it was insta game over for protoss, because they had no way of transitioning into anything else. Now on current ladder if cannon rush fails, protoss is somehow ahead in economy and follow up can be literally anything : voids, dts, etc. I don’t know why but i find zerg chees rather easy to defend as terran, but protoss cheese may be very diffcult to defend. Proxy void into tempest with tectonic stabilizer. I lost to that some time ago. I was pumping vikings on reactored starport and still wasn’t able to break the contain. (voids, tempests, cannons, shield batteries).

Another example: proxy reapers, they are useless in TvP and TvZ (except from scouting), but 3-4 well microed reapers can kill you under 4 mins. Yes cheese should be toned down.

1 Like