Can't play on custom, the game crashes on this menu

Thanks for at least letting people know the issue…
Are you able to give any confirmation that Blizzard (not just yourself and customer support) is aware of the issue and actively working on it?

Technically, no crime has yet been committed :confused:
Taking advantage of an exploit to make Starcraft II freeze for up to 10 minutes or more (it never crashes, and will unfreeze eventually) is not a crime. There’s a wild amount of misinformation about these attacks downloading malicious code and the like, but they are all untrue.
I posted a detailed and technical explanation in the general discussion forum just now.

Try to convince a court of that.

“Your honor, the computer technician left the door to his house open, so I walked inside hit his computer his sledgehammer.”

“Your Honor, I don’t see how its a crime to cause mass devastation to a corporation, their product and their customers.”

“Your Honor, the shelf stocker accidentally missed an open can of molasses, so I spread it all over the remaining items on the shelves so no customers to buy anything at store.”

Hit with the book. Cyber crime is in the lawbooks now.

1 Like

An example would be closer to:
(I’m not going to follow court procedure in this example but you’ll get the point)

Prosecution (Blizzard): “Your honor, this individual/these individuals exploited a known issue in our product that causes it to freeze for users when the attempt to browse open matches, causing a noticeable decrease in users, resulting in financial losses.”

Defense: “Our client simply included a link in the name of his map. A map developed by the prosecution’s own software which they release so that players may create their own maps.”

Judge: (Addressing the prosecutor, Blizzard) “Were you aware that your software, which you supply to players, allows them to name their creations in this manner?”

Prosecution: Yes

Judge: How long have you known this?

Prosecution: Over three years.

Judge: What steps have you taken to fix this issue.

Prosecution: None whatsoever.

THE END

“But Your Honor, I don’t see how its a crime to cause mass devastation to a corporation, their product and their customers.”

1 Like

Versus AI is also not working at this time.

For as long as the perp has been doing this, I don’t disagree.

With me, it’s a matter of how much I’m told (which is not everything), combined with how much I’m allowed to talk about what I do know.

That said, here is a post I made lightly touching on the subject. That’s about all I can say. Anything else would need to come from Bliz directly.

2 Likes

Tell Microsoft to do this ^_^. Blizzard being told to do anything productive generally backfires on the community for a long while.

2 Likes

There is a workaround. Dont select custom games tab. Select campaign, then custom, then Arcade. Just avoid custom games lobby. You will probably have to hard quit after each match and do this again as after a match you are redirected to lobby

1 Like

I was clicking the big custom to the right of campaign, didn’t realize there’s a little custom below in the campaign tab. Then you have to click on the custom map you hopefully have bookmarked to see if there are any games up and running, which there are very few now. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Yeah, that’s the best plan I’ve seen so far. Use Campaign mode to bypass the Lobbies tab, then force-quit on the Victory/Defeat screen.

Just don’t sort the other tabs with “Newest”. Doing so will display the hacked maps which can freeze those other tabs too.

1 Like

Been having this problem since Sunday morning. Can’t click on the custom games to play - it just freezes and then crashes. I have to force quit starcraft. I can play the co-op just not any custom games such as direct strike etc. Does @blizzard check these? Probably not lol.

Its only happening in the Americas server if you can’t play in the custom tabs or just to lazy to do the most longest way to play another custom game just switch to another server prob in eu since its safer there

1 Like

its been going on for over a week and weve been told this before. This response is wholy unacceptable. we have been told it was fixed but nothing changed. i have zero faith you are being honest with us.

1 Like

i switched servers and it is still effecting me.

You’re the second person I’ve seen say that. Where were we told it was fixed?

About this particular issue? Again, where?

If everytime Bliz said they are looking into a problem but never resolved it, you’d have a point. But since that’s not remotely true, well, enough said.

If Bliz weighs in at some point on the current issue, based off your tone, I suspect you won’t believe them either? That’s your prerogative of course, but unfortunate still.

2 Likes

you really need to chill. It’s effecting different people differently. It didn’t start for me until about 7:00pm Sunday night and I play 4-5 days a week. I was able to play a custom game at 11:00am on Monday, so it effected me for a whole 16 hours.

Having a go at the people that are trying to help is the same mentality as a retail Karen screaming at a manager for a discount, and should earn an instant banhammer.

1 Like

Work around for Custom tab not working.

go and click Campaign. From Campaign’s sub menu click “Custom>>” (NOT CUSTOM ON THE MAIN TOP TAB) then from there click “Arcade”. Then whatever Arcade game you want to play. That worked for me just now.

Just to add to this.

Be sure not to sort the Arcade or Melee tabs by “Newest”. That will load the tiles of the affected maps on the UI which may freeze the client.

Also, when a custom game ends, it defaults back to the “Lobbies” tab. So people may need to force-close the game on the Victory/Defeat screen (before the results screen) to avoid the freeze.

2 Likes

Thank you Leviathan for you efforts in this manner, and sharing the details that you’re are allowed to share in the post to which you included a link.