Bring back WoL and HotS ladder

LOTV has grown on me, but the forceful nature in which it was imposed is not appreciated. I would still prefer WoL , you know , the version I paid for? The game was already set up to have matchmaking for the different expansions, why couldn’t they just leave it?

4 Likes

Yeah, there wasn’t even an apology or explanation. Just a big middle finger to the players.
WoL was my StarCraft and I went through a grieving process when a game I loved was suddenly just gone.
Things like this leave a lasting impression on a company.

2 Likes

It definitely did feel that way. But it looks like they are still changing things up with balance patches and new starting countdowns. Maybe they would consider re-activating WoL match-making. Custom games really don’t cut it for finding players, and I miss the team maps and slower pace from WoL.

2 Likes

Well, by the latest news, even the whole SC2 will not be supported anymore, just basic life support. Well was good while it lasted :frowning: . For these who liked WoL/HotS is even more sad, because is dead for good now.

I waiting so long for WOL return and they instead throw overboard everything else. So good bey SC2 for good this time. It was great years when is last. But all good thing must come to an end as Q say.

1 Like

Y’all can still play WoL and HotS custom.

It’s pointless to play custom if there is no MMR, league, ladders etc. That’s what gives you motivation to improve, climb the ladder. Playing WOL\HOTS custom is like playing SC2 against A.I. No joy, no fun, no point.

2 Likes

Well, At least Frost Giant, with the developers of WoL and HotS are developing a RTS, well, if that game is like the time that SC2 was a RTS, then good bye “SC2”

I want to play HotS again.

2 Likes

If your motivation to improve at a thing is only driven by imaginary points then you didn’t actually enjoy improving at said thing.

No actually those imaginary points are somewhat of an indicator of how good you are, that’s why people play ladder, otherwise it would be completely meaningless. So yes, without ladder there is no point to play WOL\HOTS custom.

3 Likes

It’s a fair point. However…

I’m thinking they don’t want players to split up too much - and I think this was common knowledge and consents since I can think ,since release of LOTV. Thus from business view they do the right thing (similar reasons with wow expansions), more players having fun together is better rather than longer waiting times because you’d have 3 expansion ladders, ONTOP OF ALL THE OTHER MANY MODES Sc2 offers. Not to forget about those team modes from earlier expansions (2v2+)

I have a more realistic idea for you, even though I understand it’s not enough and not satisfying…: You can play HotS in custom mode , hear me out:
<-- for this you’d have to invest quite some advertisement and forum posts on different platforms, to gather people
-> Sc2 makes it easy though you can join dedicated chat channels to meet and then simply play. That’s the best I can suggest with all respect.

. . .
Again most people certainly see a point, and the developers probably too, especially confirmed by them taking the wow classic servers seriously, however yea not realistic from business view atm. You can also help and try to gather people to play these things , and perhaps if it will become big enough what you do… (because to be frank, the players that would be interested in that aren’t probably visiting the sc2 forums at this time, it’s rather lotv players here, but surely you could gather them)

Sorry dude, but that’s not gonna work. In order to play these ladders effectively you need significant playerbase (at least few thousands) to make this game to have any point. And you are not going to build player base just by joining some TINY channels consisting of dozens of (hundreds at best) players.

Yes you are right common ladder LOTV was introduced to combine all players and avoid division, problem is however LOTV is not necessarily the best ladder, many people dislike it for being too fast, frustrating, 12 worker start economy changed lot of things, builds, strats, made certain units lose their value, inability to scout early cheese on time etc. Many sc2 players quit playing game immediately when WOL/HOTS were removed.

2 Likes

That’s right. I actually quit back then when it was introduced. :slight_smile: (the game is big difference to back then)

Now I play from time to time the new ladder or custom games with friends (melee maps vs some sort of modded AI or several or against each other that is, when i say custom=melee)

Yes, without these points, you could make bronze people play against master ones in a custom game. Ladder is important.

I agree, bring back WOL ladder! LOTV is a not a RTS.

I am one of those people. I hope Microsoft will do the right thing and make SC2 great again. Bring back Wings of Liberty ladder!