An attempt to create an accurate WoL canon mission order

Warning - long read ahead

Hey there. I’ve been playing SC2 on my EU account pretty much since the game was released (I’ve also been playing SC1 since 2000, but that’s another topic :smile:). Even though I gave up on competitive multiplayer shortly after LotV came out, I’ve been replaying the campaigns once or twice a year. WoL is definitely my favourite out of the three for a solid bunch of reasons.

However, the one thing that has been bothering me about the campaign is that depending on your mission order choice the story can get extremely illogical and messy. For instance you can have Matt and the crew congratulating Raynor about his leadership and vision after one mission and on the very next one you see him as a drunken mess of a person and everyone blames him that he can’t get his priorities straight. Similarly, Jimmy and Tosh could chat like they are best buddies and just a mission later they would be mistrusting and throwing aggresive remarks towards each other. I could go on with a load of examples, but I’m pretty sure that everyone on this forum knows what I’m talking about.

Thus, for my last couple of replays I’ve been trying to come up with something as close as possible to a canon mission order - one that would make the story flow gradually, one in which the decisions Jimmy and co take would make the most sense, one in which there is at least something similar to character development. I am aware that something like this has been tried on the old forums and that there’s even a thread on the new forums (Wings of Liberty in Chronological Order - #2 by BartFitz-2928) concerning the matter. The author of this thread has done a pretty good job at putting the UNN broadcast info in order. However, this approach doesn’t always make sense when you look at the missions themselves (for instance, Whispers of Doom doesn’t immediately follow The Dig, which is easily the most natural choice to make; Smash and Grab and The Moebius Factor both come pretty late in the campaign and so on).

Admittedly, my approach on putting the campaign in order probably wouldn’t make the most sense if one considers the broadcast info. But I believe that it makes sense in terms of coherent story and character development. Before I write down my personal canon mission order (and the arguments why I did it precisely like this) I want to list the few basic points that it is based upon:

1. Trying to make the story coherent and non-contradictory (for instance you cant do Media Blitz after Supernova, cause on Korhal you are fighting against Warfield, who you would simultaneously would be allied with if you’ve already met Valerian; similarly, it would be dumb to do The Moebius Factor after the Rebellion Arc, cause right after The Moebius Factor Matt critisises Jimmy’s drunkenness and lack of effort in the fight against the Dominion).

2. Trying to give characters at least some development (e.g. Jimmy starts out suspicious and mistrusting towards Tosh, but gradually warms up to him)

3. Trying to get side characters aboard the Hyperion as early as possible, respectively to keep them onboard for as long as possible in order to get as much lore-related dialogue with them as you can (this applies mostly to Tosh and Hanson and it basically means that one should aim to do both their introductory missions ASAP)

4. Trying to pick up missions depending on how urgent each one of them is presented to be (e.g. there are missions like The Evacuation and The Moebius Factor, which are literally presented as emergency distress calls, so from Jimmy’s perspective it wouldn’t make any sense to go robbing trains, or picking up artifacts instead of helping these folks ASAP)

5. Trying to put a space of at least 2 or 3 missions between the cinematics. I remember how SC1 had a few cinematics in each campaign, but they were never after two consecutive missions. I feel like it would make sense lorewise to have the cinematics evenly spread throughout the campaign and not clustered right after one another.

So, having said all this, here goes:

1. Liberation Day
  2. The Outlaws
  3. Zero Hour

The order on these three is predetermined, so duh.

1. The Evacuation.

Pretty much a no-brainer, first of all you get Hanson onboard ASAP, which gives you the most story-related dialogue (see point #3 above) and second, this is a freaking distress-call and Jimmy sure as hell wouldn’t keep these folks waiting to go and cash-in an artifact instead.

1. The Devil’s Playground
  2. Smash and Grab

Again, I pick my missions in accordance with point #3 - getting Tosh on the ship ASAP. Also, choosing this order gives me a nice three-mission gap between the Escape from Mar Sara cinematic, which comes after Zero Hour, and the Queen of Blades cinematic, which comes after Smash and Grab. Besides, the Hyperion crew talks about how the money from Redstone (The Devil’s Playground) helped The Raiders get back on their feet, so, considering that from lore perspective Jimmy is literally struggling, it’s logical to have this immediate reward mission done before Smash and Grab, where you only pick up an artifact piece (in the game Smash and Grab also gives you cash, but I believe that story-wise Jimmy picks up the artifacts on order to sell them to Moebius and cash-in on them later on, so he doesn’t get an immediate reward; there’s even an in-game dialogue in which he asks Tychus something in the lines of “When are the Moebius boys going to show up and pay us for the artifacts?”).

1. Outbreak
  2. Welcome to the Jungle
  3. The Dig

Pretty much the same here, helping folks is our #1 priority, then we get some cash from helping Tosh, then we pick up an artifact. Also, I feel that it’s absolutely vital for the development of the relationship between Jim and Tosh to do The Dig immediately after Welcome to the Jungle, but I’ll elaborate on this in the next two paragraphs. Again, we have a three-mission gap between cinematics, so point #5 is also taken into consideration.

1. Whispers of Doom

The only natural follow-up to the Zeratul cinematic is to immediately use the crystal and do this mission. Plus, it’s once again a major point of the Raynor-Tosh dynamic - first we have Jimmy learn for the first time that Tosh migh be pursuing some secret agenda of his with the Jorium and the Terrazine (this happens immediately after Welcome to the Jungle), then we have their chit-chat after The Dig, during which Jimmy literally shouts at Tosh to get his nose outta other people’s business (showing his growing mistrust towards him after the revelation in the previous mission) and now we have them once again being rather rude and mistrusting towards one another. From here on their relationship can either start getting better or deteriorate completely (which sort of naturally leads us to the next mission, where Jim has to make precisely this choice). Also, on a side note I think that it makes more sense to have Jimmy take breaks between the visions from the crystal. First of all, he needs these breaks to make up his mind about what he sees. Second, using the crystal seems to be very exhausting (mentally) and takes up a lot of time (in the dialogue Matt says that Jim has been in the lab for hours), so once again it’s illogical to have Jimmy go through all four visions in one sit-down.

1. Breakout

Let’s sum it up again: Jim starts suspecting Tosh of foul play after Mission 8 (Welcome to the Jungle), snaps at him after Mission 9 (The Dig) and is once again rather resentful after Mission 10 (Whispers of Doom). Then comes Nova - a woman, who is known to be one of the best assassins under the command of your most hated enemy - and you are given a choice whether to trust her or not. But why on earth would you ever side with her, eh? Unless… she claims that a guy from your entourage, whom you’re already suspisious of, is going to stab you in the back and build his own army of psychotic killers. The fact that you’re given a choice here (i.e. Jimmy is hesitating) makes a lot more sense if it comes right after this small arc of three mission, where you don’t seem to get along with Tosh. Of course, as much as you suspect him, you’d never side with a FREAKING DOMINION ASSASSIN, so you turn Nova down and go liberate yourself some prisoners. Now your previous mistrust is behind your backs, so you and Tosh are gradually becoming BFF’s. Matt is lowkey proud of you, but hints that there’s still a long way to go with the whole revolution thing (we’ll get there in a few missions, Matt, don’t worry). Also, in accordance with point #5 we have gap of two mission between cinematics.

1. A Sinister Turn

Nothing special here. Jim has taken a little break and is ready for another vision. Also, putting this mission here is good for two reasons: 1) it gives us another two-mission gap between cinematics, since the next one is going to be The Moebius Factor, which has a cinematic after it; 2) because of the specifics of the Rebellion Arc (see below) this is the only chance for Jim to see the Hybrid before Piercing the Shroud.

1. The Moebius Factor
  2. The Great Train Robbery
  3. Cutthroat
  4. Engine of Destruction
  5. Media Blitz
  6. Piercing the Shroud

First we have a distress-call mission, so we do it ASAP. While on it, we meet Kerrigan and then Jimmy falls into a drunken stupor and dreams about how she got left behind. Matt is disappointed with him and tries to talks some sense, insisting that he has to figure himself out and finally start leading their revolution against the Dominion properly. I feel that this is Jimmy’s big wake-up call. After this he sets his priorities, gets motivated and finally starts leading the fight for justice. I firmly believe that in this scenario all the Rebellion mission MUST be done right after one another. This includes Piercing the Shroud - even though it’s not directly aimed at confronting Mengsk (at least not initially), it’s quite logical to go to the lab immediately after finding those top-secret documents. Also, there’s one more important moment concerning the mission order here: the option to go to Tarsonis and rob some trains has been there for a while now, but Jim hasn’t taken it. Why? Cause the last time he was on Tarsonis was also the time when Mengsk abandoned Kerrigan - something that Jim is still traumatised about 4 years later. So I feel that dreaming about Kerrigan being abandoned, then getting pep-talked by Matt and THEN heading straight to Tarsonis and coming to terms with his past and his guilty conscience not only makes the most sense, but is also a great character development for Jimbo.

On a side note, I admit that having Donny go bonkers after Media Blitz and the return as an anchorman for the final few missions makes zero sense. But in order to avoid that, you literally have to do Media Blitz and Piercing the Shroud last RIGHT before Char, which makes even less sense. So I’m going with the lesser evil here.

1. Echoes of the Future

Jim has had some great success against the Dominion, but seeing the Hybrid in the lab has unsettled him. A lot. So he decides to take some time and goes back to the crystal, where he has seen the Hybrid for the first time in order to try and find some more answers.

1. Safe Haven/Haven’s Fall
  2. Supernova
  3. In Utter Darkness
  4. Maw of the Void

I must admit that Safe Haven/Haven’s Fall was probably the toughest mission in terms of choosing where exactly to put it on my list. On one hand, I wanted to keep Hanson onboard for as long as possible in order to get the extra dialogue (see point #3). On the other hand, this mission seems to have at least a certain level of emergency to it and besides leaving it for the very end makes zero sense in terms of story flow. After quite a bit of deliberation, I decided to leave this mission hang for a while (I believe that its emergency level is low enough - you don’t get a distress call per se, but rather some cryptic info that “the colony has gone dark and doesn’t answer”, so it’s not completely unrealistic to just let it hang, while you’re flying high kicking Dominion butt), but still do it before Supernova and Maw of the Void. I feel that the final arc, which these two missions lead directly towards, shouldn’t be interrupted (at least not by “real-life missions”, crystal visions is a whole different story).

Also, I prefer to do Haven’s Fall, even though I know that Safe Haven is the canon version. First of all, Safe Haven is devoid of all logic and this has been discussed numerous times on these forums. Second, I like to have a darker and grittier mission like Haven’s Fall at this point, because it’s a good counterpoint to Raynor’s triumph against the Dominion a couple of missions past. It’s something that really brings him right back to earth, reminding him that his succes against Mengsk means nothing while there’s still the much bigger threat of the Zerg. Hell, one could even consider that he’s blaming himself, because he was too busy fighting the Dominion and postponed Haven for so long (hence it comes so late in the campaign) that when he arrived the colony was already lost (in the post-mission dialogue he even laments not having conatined the situation earlier). Thus, here I prefer to diverge a little bit from the original canon.

Afterwards it’s pretty straightforward. Supernova is the only thing on your starmap, so you go and do it. Then you side with Valerian and everyone onboard the Hyperion is pissed. This is why I think that In Utter Darkness should come after Supernova - after the latter Raynor snaps at his crew members for critisising him and you can clearly see that he is doing this out of pure emotion, not out of reason. With everyone angry at him, he isolates himself in the lab and decides to clear his head from his real-life issues by seeing the last vision from the crystal. Afterwards he knows that there is a reason to save Kerrigan and that this reason is much bigger than his personal feelings. With renewed confidence and purpose, he builds-up on his alliance with Valerian (Maw of The Void), gives his crew a pep talk, which is much more than simply “boo-hoo, I want my GF back” (Bar Fight) and heads of to Char for his biggest battle yet.

1. Gates of Hell
  2. Belly of the Beast/Shatter the Sky
  3. All In

Once again, pre-set order here, nothing to comment on.

So, once again, sorry for the long post. Here’s a sum up of my headcanon mission order:

1. Liberation Day
    Old Times (cinematic)
  2. The Outlaws
  3. Zero Hour
    Escape from Mar Sara (cinematic)
  4. The Evacuation
  5. The Devil’s Playground
  6. Smash and Grab
    Queen of Blades (cinematic)
  7. Outbreak
  8. Welcome to the Jungle
  9. The Dig
    Zeratul’s Warning (cinematic)
    The Prophecy (cinematic)
  10. Whispers of Doom
  11. Breakout
    A Better Tomorrow (cinematic)
  12. A Sinister Turn
  13. The Moebius Factor
    The Betrayal (cinematic)
    …Who We Choose to Be (cinematic)
  14. The Great Train Robbery
  15. Cutthroat
  16. Engine of Destruction
  17. Media Blitz
    Hearts and Minds (cinematic)
  18. Piercing the Shroud
  19. Echoes of the Future
  20. Haven’s Fall
    Infested (cinematic)
  21. Supernova
    Heir Apparent (cinematic)
  22. In Utter Darkness
  23. Maw of the Void
    Bar Fight (cinematic)
    Dangerous Game (cinematic)
  24. The Gates of Hell
    Card to Play (cinematic)
  25. Belly of the Beast
    Fire and Fury (cinematic)
  26. All In
    Showdown (cinematic)

Please tell me what do you think, y’all. I’d love to hear some feedback and have discussion on this mission order, especially from people with more experince on this forum!

7 Likes

You have done a good job. I will just chime in and say that they should un-canon Safe Haven and make Fall the canon choice.

You might now know but while we don’t know the order, we do know the choices are Tosh/Hanson/Tychus (actually used to be Warfield after release, but that got switched).

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I know which ones are the canon choices… and this is precisely why I wholeheartedly agree that Safe Haven should NOT be canon :smiley:

Btw, something that I forgot to mention in my first post is that even though this mission order is aimed at making the story coherent rather than making the playthrough itself optimal (in terms of units, upgrades and research), it’s absolutely doable on Brutal, including all research points and most of the achievements. I’ve done it a couple of times and the only tough spot is probably Engine of Destruction, since the mission order requires you to go to Valhalla without Vikings and Science Vessels. Still, mass Wraiths+Mercs do the trick and with decent micro you can take out the Loki as well.

Well, the obvious thing for gameplay playthrough is going ASAP for the Dig to get Siege Tanks and research points from the Zeratul arc, because those missions are not influenced by your upgrades.

Safe Haven is a narrative atrocity where universe literally bends itself around your choices.

2 Likes

Ditto. To a lesser extent the same applies to Breakout/Ghost of a Chance too. If you pick Tosh, it turns out Spectres ain’t psycho after all and Nova shamelessly lied. If you pick Nova, it turns out Tosh is evil AF. In both branching missions the game tries too hard to make it all sunshine and rainbows for you, no matter what you choose.

Actually Tosh/Nova is believable, because Tosh got mad and desperate because Raynor joined with freaking Dominion against him and Nova… Nova definitely lied.

1 Like

I’m so glad you do that. It’s always bothered me that people can’t do a simple reserach to check on previous work before posting a long wall of text that ultimately redundant.

Now, I haven’t replayed the campaign for a while, but maybe after some prestige run, I’ll try your sequence and make further comment.

1 Like

Well, it’s as simple, as doing a quick google search. Apart from the thread that I’ve linked, I remember that some 5-6 years ago there was another similar thread on the old forums that had some pretty solid points (for instance, it presented the idea for Jimmy’s “redemption arc” - all the Rebellion missions done right after The Moebius Factor - that I also use in my playthrough order). Sadly, I can’t seem to find it anymore on the web archives, but if anyone could provide a link to it, that would be pretty neat :slight_smile:

Old forum with its superior layout is dead.

2 Likes

Not entirely, it seems. I’ve managed to find some topics through web archives

If you could find 100 (actually 300 something) reasons why Kerrigan is the worst, you’d have my gratitude.

1 Like

Yeah, I still feel bad about it being rudely deleted by our Mod. Seriously, they leave us alone for so long; why started meddling then? And took our piece of history with it.

I’m afraid there is no truly accurate mission order. There will be conflicts in the storylines.

Donny has a mental breakdown on TV after Media Blitz. Piercing the Shroud (the mission immidiately after) confirms that Donny was admitted to a metal institution. He is also absent on all Char broadcasts. This makes Media Blitz-Piercing the Shroud the most logical missions to do just before Char. He’s perfectly fine after Maw of the Void so that mission had to be done before these.

But joining with Valarian before Media Blitz doesn’t really work either. Horner mentions they are ‘making real progress against Mensk’ which isn’t true before MB. It’s also doesn’t make much sense to join the Dominion before MB. Then there’s Tychus. After Maw of the Void he get’s desperate because he realizes their course of action is going to result in a confrontation with Raynor. But Engine of Destruction and Media Blitz are easily his happiest most carefree moments in the game so they should be timed BEFORE his breakdown and the bar fight. And the crew wouldn’t get angry at Raynor if he was planning BOTH MB and the Char missions simultaniously.

Raynor’s angry reactions at Tosh seems to be because Tosh is using telepathy on him (how he knows about Zeratul). So if you ask me, The Dig could happen any time really. Raynor just doesn’t like Tosh reading his mind without permission.

So I don’t think everything really works perfectly. Another example is how Tychus starts getting cold feet about ‘jumping head on into an alien invaion’ after the Mobius mission. Later missions strongly imply that he’s not actually scared of Kerrigan but rather of being forced to betray Raynor after Kerrigan turns human. Before he knows the artifact can turn her human, he’s actually egging Raynor on to confront and kill Kerrigan in order to get a pardon for them both from Mensk. But this ‘cold feet’ comment happends BEFORE the reveal what the artifact can do. I just see it as small canon mistakes.

1 Like

We know. Doesn’t mean it is not worth trying to get one, though.

Not necessary. There are a couple of broadcast where Donny is uncharastically quiet. This could be the preiod when he is still in the process of melting down. Raynor also didn’t fully realize the important of the mission prior. He was still doubtful at the beginning. It’s quite possible that it doesn’t follow immediately after.

Actually, it does. Apparantly, Raynor wasn’t getting much done prior during the four years time gap. His troop lacks many of the high tech hardware. I believe that the invasion helps him a lot; many of the fringe world suddenly want his service.

How so?

There should be, but people is complicated. He could jump down fairly quickly if he realize what is about to happen. Especially after some of his happiest raid. So the time might not need to be that long.

Also, the Bar fight wasn’t that big of a deal. He is a violent man who is half dunk. And the situation is defused pretty fast. It wasn’t much destructive and it ends after a couple of talk with Raynor.

Well, I think going to Char is more than just working with the Dominion. It’s also about fear. The Zerg is a very real threat. But yes, Hornor’s attitute will be strange.

The reveal is for Raynor’s benefit, though. Mengsk and Mengsk propably know about it before that. Espcially Mengsk, it’s ‘his’ plan after all. So Mengsk could inform Tychus from the very beginning about his ultimate long term plan. The previous scene when Tychus hack Hyperion’s would also work better if he knows. Unless Mengsk inform Tychus about Mengsk’s plan to convert Kerrigan, Tychus should have zero hope and wouldn’t doing any of the egging.

2 Likes

I know. That’s the way Blizzard made it. I’m just trying to get as close as possible.

I commented on this in the OP. Storyline-wise it’s only logical to have Maw of the Void (and Supernova) after the Dominon arc. Thus the behaviour of Tychus, Valerian, Warfield and the Hyperion crew makes sense. The only problem is… Donny. I really wish Blizzard had made alternative versions of the broadcasts that exclude him if Media Blitz was done prior to the respective broadcast. Sadly, that isn’t the case, so as I mentioned in the OP, I’m going with the lesser evil here.

Well, I dunno. You might be right about the reason why Jim is pissed off, but I feel that his behaviour towards Tosh has to follow some sort of a mini-arc. Otherwise it could seem almost schizophrenic.

Alright, I give you this one. Still, one could always assume that Tychus got upset (or even a little scared) at the sight of Kerrigan personally ravaging Tyrador and showing off her powers (although I agree that this doesn’t sound very much like him)

Actually, that makes sense. Tychus used to be the strongest person in the room able to 1 versus 1 anybody. And then there is this person who could level an entire building with her mind, survive an army on her own. Tychus is not foolhardy brave. It makes perfect sense to be scared of Kerrigan.

2 Likes

Nice. Well done, Nikstar. I set out years ago to make my own list of what I thought would be the most narratively effective and sensible order - and guess what?

My list is literally only one mission different from yours (I had The Great Train Robbery immediately before The Dig). Other than that, our orders are exactly the same, all 26 of them.

I don’t think anyone has stated this yet, but another reason A Sinister Turn works so well right before The Moebius Factor is as follows: after A Sinister Turn, aboard the Hyperion, Swann tells Raynor that he’s looking rough lately, and that he might want to “lay off the sauce” and “get some shut-eye” once in a while. Raynor responds rather curtly and dismissively.

Definitely makes it flow much more naturally if that’s fresh in the player’s mind for when Horner confronts Raynor about his drunken despair in the cinematics following The Moebius Factor.

Anyway, nicely done!

(Yes, I’m new here. Been playing SCII since it came out - and definitely loved the original as a child - I just haven’t bothered posting on these forums before. Am enjoying the 10th anniversary achievements so far and just completed Nova Covert Ops for the first time, which I had never done before. Hey everyone.)

1 Like

Only recently? Hmm, you’re just a noop, then.

Hello and welcome. 20

Spirit: Yeah, man, just never bothered until really recently. I’m glad I did finally play them, though - those were some fun missions. I played on Hard to just experience them - the missions, the story - for the first time. Some of those look like they’d be absolute madness on Brutal - especially End Game. But yeah; they were good.

Thanks, Skehan.