"You're a Cult!" & The Toxicity | Let's Stop The Maliciousness

I am free to make my signature and username whatever I wish, as are you. Having a username and a signature that says something one doesn’t agree with isn’t a crime, and it still doesn’t justify an excuse to show prejudice and personally attack them. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

Kinda wish these forums had a signature.

This is like, their 5th one this week.

they’re about to say the same thing about me lol.

I also think it’s important to point how, how poorly thought out this meme of calling people cultists is.

It was one particular poster’s opinion who outlined their given definition of a cult. Supposedly, they are a student and were studying related things.

I have no reason to doubt them, but when making a serious claim such as calling a large group of people cultists, I’m going to question your authority on the matter. Assuming they are telling the truth, the fact is even experts who study cults often disagree on what makes a cult a cult. And it’s one person’s opinion, and they are still a student.

The fact that people aren’t questioning it at all because they dislike the amount of discussion towards Mercy is crazy.

I understand the frustration people have. Some posters have less that stellar etiquette and manners. Often times when you have a different opinion than those the changes most greatly effect, it can feel like you are being shouted down. People are not a hive mind however, and there’s going to be some bad apples. Take an honest look at the discussions going on, don’t just lump people together because they might agree to an idea you disagree with.

Most importantly, I think the entire forum needs to be reminded. This is a game. We all play for fun. Maybe some of us play competitively, or we’re looking to escape reality for a bit. We all obviously care about the game or we wouldn’t be on these forums in the first place. Do not treat your fellow posters like crap when you disagree with them. If someone is being toxic or apparently a “cultist” step back ask yourself what rules are they breaking? Does it deserve a report? If it does, then simply do that rather than attacking people.

1 Like

8 nerfs. It took 8 nerfs and a bug fix.

1 Like

Because they’re acting like a cult. Their behavior is extremely similar to a cult activity.

Between mindless spam/chanting identical things over and over from community members, to silencing or ganging up on players that think she is fine, they’re acting like a cult.

I can’t tell you how many times OP (and others) have ruined threads that 1% related to Mercy. I can’t tell you how many times OP (and others) have taken things out of context (like, “you’re a cult” for example, the postee meant “acting like a cult” but it’s not clear out of context). I can’t tell you how many times they have ignored toxic players that agree with their stance but call out toxic players that disagree across multiple topics.

I can’t tell you how many threads I’ve seen invaded by this mercy wave.

They’re spreading like an infection. And there’s nothing we can do at this point.

3 Likes

Most of the toxicity or negative attitude on the forums is from some Mercy mains on here lol I’ve seen Mercy mains talk down on another Mercy main because they said that they enjoy valk lol

3 Likes

People are free to post whatever they want, including any type of signature, as long as they do not break any of the CoC rules and keep the discussion centered around Overwatch.

People should be only discussing the points made by the person they are replying to. Being unable to do so and disregarding the points made only to dwell on the signature, the rank, the idology or the identity of the person is indirectly admitting you are running out of arguments or do not want to discuss in the first place.

3 Likes

This pretty much.

It saddens me how now a days people can’t even ask to stop the toxicity without being ridiculed over something as superficial as a username, and spamming completely non-constructive insults at people in the thread simply because they disagree with them. I guess hating people instead of uniting people is considered “cool” now. My, how far we’ve fallen.

And some people wonder why these forums are generally seen as so toxic. :thinking:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

3 Likes

Maybe we wouldnt be calling Mercy mains cultists if we didn’t see them gang up on players and berate them for disagreeing with them, it may not be you, and it hasn’t happened to me, but I’ve seen a lot of it happen to others.

1 Like

To be quite overtly opinionated, it’s the REVERT Mercy crowd that is quite cultish, to me. To be so blindly devoted to trying to bring back something that won’t exist anymore, to the point of pure fanaticism…that’s a sign of cultism at its finest.

The rest of the Mercy mains, we’re just fond of our favorite swiss miss and all that. :wink:

1 Like

I miss my pole-dancing Bunny I use on the Bioware forums! :broken_heart:

5 Likes

Pole-dancing bunny is best bunny, tbh :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

5 Likes

Woah there! Keep it PG!

Excuse me while I save this for myself.

It gets even better with my Monty Python quote:

“He is the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on… He has got huge, sharp – eh – he can leap about – look at the bones!”

3 Likes

cult of personality toxicity

1 Like

Even after your explanation I think it is rude calling people cultists. It is a BS mentality to throw “You’re a cultist” at everyone trying to get their point across while you are making no effort in understanding their point.

5 Likes

Truly, we should be afraid of that devil.

I haven’t seen monty python in ages. Might try to rewatch it tonight.

1 Like

The whole “I don’t agree so its wrong” culture is that of any fandom. Someone posted something a while ago that describes communties like this one. It went something along the lines of this:

STAGES OF FANDOM
-I like it
-It is mine
-I cant control it
-I hate it
-I want to destroy it

While I personally agree with the points you make, that is just of course just my own opinion.

No it wasn’t. At all. Go watch the dev update. That was not mentioned at all. You are misguided.

Promoting a poor playstyle and having it be Disheartening is NOT the same a ‘fun’.