Your rendering device has run out of memory

Hi,

I am encountering the error in the title upon launch in windowed mode or when Alt+Tab-ing in fullscreen mode.

I have a GTX 1080ti and an Intel i7 7700K. This issue seems to appear only in blizzard games. My Nvidea driver is Version: 398.11 released on 06/05/2018. I have played since it’s installation without issues previously. I have tried to close other applications to limit the possibility of incompatibilities. Is there any advice or help for this issue?

The error states: “Your rendering device has run out of memory. Please try closing some applications or restarting your computer.”

3 Likes

BenLinus,

There shouldn’t be any reason that card runs out of vram unless there’s something really odd going on. Can you get a copy of your DxDiag using these instructions? Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post. Put four tilde (~) marks above it so it goes into a code block. It’ll look like this:

DXDiag here

Unfortunately, I can not, due to the character limit on this forum.

Got you, we’re looking into solutions for that now, can you upload it to something like pastebin here and link it instead? Just put spaces instead of slashes and dots in your URL. You’re too new to post links just yet but I can convert it

Sure thing.

I’ve been having this exact same issue too, game crashing now and then as well. Have a GTX 1070 and i7-7700HQ.

Have also been experiencing noticeable lag during my gaming. Not all the time but sometimes. Doubt it’s my internet either as I have unthrottled 100Mbps Fibre and no problems with any other gaming or web services.

here’s my DxDiag as well: pastebin com KAcXukP1

1 Like

Is there any news on this? Anything I can try? I would love to be able to play these games.

Hey again!

I checked out your MSinfo and it looks like you’re running a ton of different apps - at least to stream FFXIV if not Overwatch as well. For now I’d like to see if disabling absolutely everything unnecessary other than Overwatch. We’re going to be a little more invasive than just closing things down as you did previously, because a ton of your software can basically fight us for control of your graphics drivers.

What you want to do is disable all nonessential applications on startup and launch JUST the game. This means that anything that isn’t a microsoft service or app needs to go. You want to clear up all your startup apps in task manager too so they don’t load any startup services.

If this doesn’t work, I’ve got another hunch or two but it’ll help to have a DXDiag as well. Would you follow the steps in this link to grab the DXDiag instead and upload that for me?

Hi. I followed those instructions and also closed any extra programs that didn’t need to be running and still encountered the same error. Heathstone wouldn’t work either. Although it didn’t display an error, it just wouldn’t display the game at all.

DxDiag:
pastebin com CtiJVstX

Thanks for the assistance.

Hey guys, I´m having the same issue, I have a GTX 980 and a i7700HQ (Win10). I´ve uninstalled drivers, the game, deleted windows cache and still not working.

2 Likes

BenLinus,

There’s not a ton going on in this DXDiag either - but we have gotten some reports lately of the driver you’re on currently having some problems for mobile Nvidia cards. I’m wondering if it’s not just mobile cards having trouble. Can you try uninstalling your current Nvidia drivers and using an earlier build?

1. Download, but do not install the 397.93 driver for your graphics card from Nvidia
  2. Download Display Driver Uninstaller from The Wagnard Mobile Forum (Click Official Download Here near the bottom of Wagnard’s first post. It will automatically download)
  3. Run the Display Driver Uninstaller file you downloaded and extract it to desktop
  4. On your desktop, click Display Driver Uninstaller and run it. Do not run in safe mode.
  5. Click Clean and Restart
  6. After restart, install the driver that we downloaded above in step 1.

I faced a similar issue, so tried your method above it didnt work, then i followed this thread https :// us. forums. blizzard com/en/overwatch/t/your-rendering-device-has-been-lost/18 and reset the in game settings (https: // us . battle net/support/en/article/126203) it worked after that, got greeted by winston again

Hi,

I tried these instructions with no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

Hm, interesting. The display driver uninstaller would have cleared any incorrect driver settings for your video card. I’d also try tweaking a couple video card settings to see if it works. It looks like you’ve got a curved G-sync monitor and are using a very high resolution. Does the game run at lower resolutions or with GSync disabled? I don’t really consider running at lower resolution a proper ‘fix’ but it tells us some things.

Can we also try resetting the game settings like mhmdacyl recommended? You want to do that each time you change a video driver setting so the game doesn’t try to run in 4k while your monitor’s at, say, 1080p.

Resetting my in game options was one of the first things I did. It was necessary to go from windowed mode(where the game won’t load at all) into full screen mode(where it will function like normal until I try to Alt+Tab or change focus from it at all). I have also tried running it at 1920*1080 with GSync disabled with no success.

Thanks

Ben,

I don’t want you having to wait too much longer to get this resolved. The normal things have already been ruled out here, which means we are going to have to get creative and use files we can’t collect easily over forums. You’ve already been dealing with this for a while now, so I’d contact our support team directly and explain what you’ve already done. I also recommend linking this thread so the support agents know what we already talked about.

Same issues here. The only thing I did before the crash was install DuetDisplay. Anyone else have an application similar to this that is experiencing the crash? I do not have a mobile graphics card. It’s a 1080ti.

2 Likes

DuetDisplay could absolutely cause something like this since it’ll also interact with your graphics drivers. Have you tried uninstalling it and does the problem persist that way?

1 Like

Uninstalling DuetDisplay solved my problem, thank you so much for the brilliant solution <3

A post was split to a new topic: Rendering device has run out of memory