You can’t afford a phone?

Hopefully the pve side of things will be less restrictive to give those people some sort of inclusion.

As for pvp, I don’t really think there is a way unless they want the integrity of their game to be at risk.

what i find truly surprising is how complete the belief is, not even blizz thinks this will cure smurfs cheating or toxicity but the playerbase has lept on it like a life raft.

which is really odd because within a day of the SMS protect going live on bnet there were vids up showing how to get round it and have dozens/hundreds of accounts ready for release day

1 Like

Considering how many anti smurf/ cheat things are in the game now, I think they are hoping to dissuade any and all attempts of those activities.

But that doesn’t mean they don’t have confidence in the first line of defense.

I wonder where you got that notion in the first place?

If you’re homeless, just buy a house

4 Likes

I do love the fact that we went from ironically calling back to Blizzcon by saying “Don’t you guys have phones?” to asking the same question while being completely serious.

And it all happened overnight!
Years and years of making fun of Blizzard, just to fall into step.

Next will be about “You think you want that but you don’t.”

6 Likes

I did not have a cell phone until recently. I did not need one. I don’t like phones. I had a landline. But when my partner died I used her rather old phone to stay in reach of various people.
I never wanted a phone because of reasons of privacy. I am a vanguard for thee fight for privacy in this digital world. Privacy is a human right. Most millennials heer wouldn’t understand. But I remember black and white tv. And an analogue age.

I have a new mobile phone now after finally surrendering my partner’s old one.

But I do not like this trend of linking my phone number to a game corporation. I do not install apps that require this either. I do not have a fb account, not a google account. I do not want to link them as a sort of inlog option either.

The world is going in the wrong direction. But young people…they don’t care. No on seems to care much, until it is too late.

I am not afraid of cheaters. I can accept them as part of life and will not simply throw my principles overboard for pleasure. After all, what harm does it do to you personally, except for a brief moment of nuisance? Move on to a next round.

All this talk about smurfs and cheating is nonsensical to me. I don’t care. It only makes me a better player because cheaters basically train me.

3 Likes

Not only that, but we’ve built upon it.

Now it’s “Don’t you guys have phones paid for with the one specific method/provider we allow?”

3 Likes

personally i doubt it, but wasnt my point, my point was how this forum has polarised in all the threads of people white knighting for blizz there isnt one post by any of them where the simple possibility of it being inneffective is considered they are ALL along the lines of “Don’t you guys have phones?!” you know the comment they have been using to take the piss out of blizz for teh last few years.

really wierd behaviour imo.

when did they all drink the coolaide?

is the notion you refer to the one that its worth checking the claims of a company hoping to sell you something? i really cant remember that far back.

Not sure where you live but where I do you generally need to have your credit in good standing to get a phone plan. Pretty sure there are people who can afford a plan but have terrible credit out there.

Maybe just maybe this was a poorly thought out and executed idea on Blizzard’s end, but that would never happen with Blizzard, nooooooo.

coughpastsixyearscough

1 Like

You’re too wise for this place.
Nice words.

There are a few ways to get a cell phone that isn’t expensive and isn’t prepaid and works with all SMS type stuff.

No you need good credit to get overpriced phone “free” with an overpriced contract you can’t get out of.

Blizzard is making a decision they think will benefit the most players. I would hope they could find a way for players who can’t access OW2 with this new system. But to call it unethical and disgusting is really a stretch.

Even if you straight out purchase the phone, you still need to have good credit for a contract. Pre-pay you don’t where I’m from.

They had a system, you paid $40-$60 per account.

1 Like

Just who are these “many players” you are speaking of? Give me just ONE example.

This whole debate is stupid. If you have a console or a PC/laptop good enough to run Overwatch, and the decent internet connection that is required in order to play, SMS verification is far from being a corcern for you.

Just point me to one single example of a person that owns and plays Overwatch on their PC/laptop/Switch that would have any difficulties acquring SMS verification at all. I’m waiting.

Well clearly it wasn’t working to deter smurfs

It really didn’t help when they heavily reduced the price multiple times and suggested that smurfs were ok.

6 Likes

The line about blizz not believing their own system wouldnt work confused me a bit. Didn’t know if there was any evidence suggesting that.

But you have to remember your talking to a community that hasn’t really received anything major in the last 3-4 years, so of course there are going to be those who’d rather look at all the positives and none of the negatives, especially if those don’t affect them.

Cricket customers there have been multiple threads from Cricket customers who have plans that rival contract phones (unlimited text and data) and can receive SMS but are still unable to register because their provider isn’t compatible.

5 Likes

Its 2022 soon to be 2023…Theres no way in hell a video game company should be requiring a cell phone to play their games…This is absolutely absurd.
Now sit back and watch as people come to the forums to complain about their cell #'s
being spammed after launching OW2

1 Like