You can’t afford a phone?

Having a smart phone is a luxury, honey bunch. Why do you feel that people should choose that luxury over something else?

At this point, I don’t even care if anyone is upset about smurfs. Mad cuz bad mate. Git gud, etc. All of your stances are so bourgeoisie you seem like caricatures.

3 Likes

All games, and most forms of entertainment for that matter, are a form of luxury.

You don’t need to play OW to survive my dude.

1 Like

When was the last time you actually used your phone?
Personally, I call it “the spam machine”. Because that’s its only purpose. Giving me spam.

5 Likes

You’re right, my homemade pizza dough still tastes bad. Think of all the time I’ll have to perfect that!

1 Like

Depends on what you define as luxury, though.

If it’s non-necessity = luxury, then a lot of things are luxury then…including a phone.

The problem I have with this system is how it also neglects to account for the different types of phone plans and contracts that people may have. I have an open Verizon wireless contract, so I have no issues. But I have several friends who use Cricket. It suits their needs perfectly - except now, they can’t verify their phone number since it’s not a similar plan to Verizon’s.

Wow. Its been a while since I’ve seen something this ignorant

6 Likes

Op post also gives a “if youre rich/wealthy you can enjoy life but if your poor you SHOULD NOT enjoy life” toxic vibe. Also he calls OW2 a “luxury”. Imo video games aren’t luxuries, their just games that people like to play. Sure you can love certain video games but they’re definitely not luxury

10 Likes

So this is Bobby Kotick’s account. makes sens…

Sorry bro, not to be rude. But smurffs only exist because you set the game too low of a price and people were willing to buy the accounts at a dirt cheap price. Maybe instead of trying to push this off onto us as “free” and not selling our mobile phone numbers to adware companies, you should charge 50 for the base game to new accounts, 20 to returning accounts and required at least 100 hours of Quickplay or arcade before people could pay competitive.

Have fun not making your YACHT payment this year, when your game company sinks, or have fun when players revolt again and making non retail access of the game, like they did for Classic WoW.

2 Likes

Im really thinking op is a troll, but if he’s serious :pensive:

7 Likes

Idk, why that has to be anyone´s business, if I simply don´t wanna share my phone.

I have a $700 phone on a prepaid network. I’m prepaid because it’s a better deal.

This post has to be bait, or you have to be a young child.

16 Likes

Luxury is something you can have of a certain elevated quality no matter the class you belong to.

Cake at one point in time was seen as a luxury because only the high class could afford fresh fruits, sugars, and the items to make pasteries while the poor had lower class ingredients or could not afford them.

Video games have always been seen as a luxury, I am not going to deny that.

But the way OP is using that to justify his stance and toxic behavior is not only horrible, it is poison to a community that otherwise was not having these discussions at the game’s inception.

OP is just stirring the pot for the sake of doing it, and you can see he got what he wanted since he has not returned to refute any solid points at all.

2 Likes

The plan specific thing is pretty much the one thing I find concerning about this.

Setting a system like this up and then being needlessly picky about what truly counts is a messed up thing to do.

What I find funny are those complaining about needing a phone at all

1 Like

Would you pay for my phone plan? Because a phone plan just isn’t in my budget. I only have one account. I’ve only ever had one account. I’ve never had any warnings in game, never been banned (barring one overturned as a mistake from a game update). But I’ve been playing for six years as practically a model player. But due to my health, I’m not exactly rolling in money.

3 Likes

That is my biggest concern, too.

Although, I do understand that different financial situations, even familial/societal situations may cause one to not want/not able to get a phone. I didn’t have a phone for a few years after I left my abusive partner, and he was stalking me. I ditched having a phone so he couldn’t contact me/trace where I was.

I think there are circumstances that make this a frustrating change. We can’t know everyone’s situation, and I think it’s an odd expectation that we are expecting everyone to have phones to play a game.

7 Likes

well i think your jumping the gun , its not proven to work yet, if you google methods of by passing blizz sms youll get pages of videos showing various methods of bypassing.

i dont have a mobile , i have a land line but i have found life to be vastly better without a cell im not going back to that for a game.

I remember once upon a time one of Blizzard’s main selling points was that their games were accessible to pretty much anyone.

While other games were boasting about how their LEGENDARY GRAPHICS would MELT YOUR CPU Blizzard was going “Yeah as long as your computer was made in the last decade you can probably run our game.”

Ignoring the plan specific thing, I feel like this may be a case of putting the needs of the many over those of the few.

It would be impossible to make everyone happy with this kind of thing because there is always going to be someone left out due to unfortunate situations or circumstances, but at the same time a vast majority of players will benefit from a system like this.

And its also logical on a the purely business side of things as well.

I think that’s a fair assessment re: the needs of many over a few.

I kind of just wish there’s more understanding for latter few, though, ya know? Like, it’s not their fault, and I think there is fair criticism about this system. I feel like it’s going to happen regardless, and it seems to be an overall net-positive. I still don’t want to ignore those who are getting a little screwed by this, though.

People have phones, and phone plans that aren’t the “pay as you go” cards; but they still aren’t allowed.

Cricket had monthly plans like other companies and can receive SMS but they are on the restricted list.

Also some people just don’t need phones. Phones are not as high priority as they were 10 years ago. With calling and dial apps being a thing for computers and tablets there’s no need to add another expense if you can manage without it.

2 Likes