Y'all hate roadhog so much?

Its not hard on a hero with a giant fat butt hitbox like Reaper who REPOSITIONING… CLANKCLANKCLANKCLANKCLANKCLANKCLANK his way into your team.

Hog still kills you faster than you can kill him. Reaper gets more ult charge yes, but thats meaningless if you cant kill Hog.

There is a reason why people did not use all those alleged anti-Hog heroes like Mei and Reaper when Hog was meta. People used mid/long range hitscans.

4 Likes

Ah yea, the ole “Hey tracer is a problem, let’s make brig” suggestion.

How about adjusting the problem hero itself rather than buff other heroes in attempt to make hard-counters.

Hard counters shouldn’t even exist.

3 Likes

Just make wraith usable even while stunned and Reaper will win every time barring an incredibly lucky headshot from Roadhog.

Would also make him better against Cassidy since he can get close without fear of flashbang insta death while in his most effective range.

Reaper should NOT be afraid of being in close quarters.

5 Likes

I mean yeah, but you have to play some good mind games to make sure Hog doesn’t just predict your dodge though. And failing means certain death.

Tracer did need a response in the support roster.

The issue was always that Brig was NOT designed to exclusively counter flankers, so she was out and hardcountering Symmetra and Mei and Rein way harder and way earlier than she was countering Tracer, because they just gave her a ton of close range power and called it a day.

So instead of making a hero with, say for example, a 1dps lock-on beam that disables mobility abilities, they made a bruiser healer tank dps that could selfheal and CC for days, whose intended counterpicks like Pharah and Junkrat have historically been made obsolete and unviable by the other Queen of Meta, Widow.

Hog is a masterclass of how NOT to make a team game. There are multiple multiple examples of team mmos and shooters that have abilities where you can “hook” enemies into unfavorable positions. But none of these characters EVER have the potential to actually secure a kill straight off the hook.

Hog hook2death combo should’ve been nerfed or repurposed ages ago but the stats show… More one shots in the game makes the casual audience who plays these characters feel more empowered. Teamwork is a difficult dance to perfect and its costly as it requires testing and tweaking over and over again. Instead blizzard has opted for the “everyone gets their shot” approach by making every character have the potential to essentially one shot. Hell we just buffed rein to now have another skill expression that one shots in his megaton hammer drop.

Overwatch (or any game that is inspired by overwatch because lets be real… the market is looking incredibly open for a new hero shooter to take the reigns) if it ever REALLY wants to succeed needs to take a nice, hard look at one shots and one shot comboes… All of them… Widowmaker, Hanzo, Doomfist, Mccree, Rein Shatter, DVA remech, Hog,

Unironically the most balanced one shot was the lucio beatbonk that was inroduced in a joke patch. Using one of the best defensive abilities in the game as a way to secure an easy kill or two is an extremelly nuanced take on ability that is both fun and allows for a great deal of counter play.

to bad it didn’t go live but instead mcblender and hanzo RNGesus arrows did instead. If that doens’t show blizz priorites in how they balance characters than honestly nothing will…

5 Likes

Because every time they do something like tighten his spread or give him 1 more damage people FREAK OUT because he’s suddenly super overpowered in like, low gold and below. Like, there’s almost no change in low gold and below anyway because Reaper isn’t overpowered, people are just deaf and can’t hear his big clunky footsteps because they’re too busy listening to music and being toxic to each other in voice chat.

So instead, Blizzard just lets Roadhog be ridiculous in all ranks instead of giving people a way to deal with him. I mean it’s not like Reaper isn’t still susceptible AF to CC if wraith is down and it’s not like he has a tiny hitbox or anything so I do not get what the big deal is with just giving him a little something.

I still think that when you reload, if you hit an enemy with your thrown shotguns they should do like 30 damage (the same as a melee).

Wraith form is way easier to bait than hook and riskier to waste in an actual game setting because he’s a flanker and it’s his escape ability. The only time Reaper should have the advantage is if Hog is flanking.

3 Likes

Making the balance worse for other characters is what got us into this mess in the first place. Remove Hogs 50% damage reduction and then Reaper can kill him again. The fact that turret Bastion can barely even scratch Hog when using take a breather is a joke.

Reaper vs Hog is a skill matchup. Hog lands hook? He wins. Hog misses hook? He dies. But Reaper also has wraith form to dodge hook, so he’s a counter in theory.

It’s kinda like Cassidy vs Tracer. It mostly revolves around him hitting flashbang.

Tbh Overwatch could use more matchups like these rather than “X hero instantly makes Y hero a throw pick”

1 Like

Can you picture the crying Hog players would do if the stun portion was removed from hook? I would love to see it, that way the one hooked can defend themselves instead of needing to pray a teammate has em covered.
Before Hog players cry, too damn bad. You lose your kill combo. Boo hoo.

3 Likes

Well in top level play there’s always been better counters for hog than reaper, but for metal ranks where hog is a major nuisance right now, buffing reaper could help a lot. And by buffing I just mean revert him to close range reaper.

1 Like

Y’all act like hook has a wind up. Y’all act like hook doesn’t travel a million miles a second. Y’all act like Reaper can shoot while in wraith. Y’all act like wraith lasts forever. Y’all act like Hog can’t just wait until wraith form is over.

2 Likes

LOL.
Nah, just like Mei (another good hog counter because you can just trigger them into swapping) they’ll see him right at the bottom of the pick list and win list and then remember he isn’t Cree and just skip right past em.

Reaper is exactly where he needs to be. No buffs necessary.

and let him dominate low ranks? no

just nerf his hook placement back to 3.5 meters, it should’ve never been 3 meters

1 Like

They pretty much went through a phase a few years ago where Hog replaced Reaper, tbh.

I do think Hog is counterable, though. Biotic grenade and discord eat him up. The team just needs to make sure he’s not getting close to supports.

33 Likes

McCree and Hanzo were outclassing Reaper before his “change” to his range and now even more DPS outclass him since then

Will we be seeing any Reaper changes/buffs any time soon?

1 Like

I love when people switch to Reaper to counter when I play Roadhog, like they think he’s an actually counter lol.

6 Likes

20m (+1 or 2m due to favor the shooter) is not exactly close.

5 Likes