Xbox - Voice Chat not Working Since Echo Patch

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!

1. Press the big X on your controller.
  2. Go over to profile and down to power.
  3. Restart your console (very important you do it this way and not holding down the big X, this is the only way it worked).
  4. Open overwatch without being in a party.
  5. Go into settings and make sure Team Voice Chat is on Auto Join and Voice Chat Mode is on Open Mic.
  6. Load into Practice Range and it should be fixed.

I’m not sure if loading into Practice Range is necessary but I haven’t tested it without going into it so idk. VC hasn’t been working for me since Echo patch and it’s been super frustrating, this finally worked for me. When I shut off my Xbox and come back the next day it doesn’t work again, but doing this method 100% guarantees it fixed for me. Hope I helped :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So is there an official fix/work around for this?

Not a consistent one. There’s been multiple ways to get around it, but they seemingly never end up always working.

Like this actually worked lol😂

Been about a month and I haven’t had an issue with game chat. Try turning off instant sign in to your Xbox. Ever since I did that I haven’t had a problem.

Yo you should take whoever’s job this was supposed to be at Blizzard. Person is getting paid to do nothing LMAO

It didn’t work for me but at least you put in more effort that Anon Blizzard employee that does nothing.

Ive had this forever and it still happens. What you gotta do is press the middle button and then go to audio and music and turn the mic on and off. If you go into a party then that will no longer work. For it to work again after being in a party you have to hard reset your console and do it again. If youve been in any parties at all it wont work till you reset your console.

How do you turn the mic on and off?? I don’t see an option for that. I’m in system preferences under audio…

Imagine having a game altering bug for over a year without a fix. I started playing again a couple weeks ago and could not find out what was wrong till I found this thread. The method of plugging in headset before opening OW seemed to work for me (I did go into audio controls as well, so something might have happened there too), who knows how temporary a fix it is though.

2 Likes

This is pretty much the only sure-fire solution that I’ve found, working nearly 100% of the time on my end. If you open the game without plugging in the headset you have to completely close the game, plug in the headset (order of this part doesn’t matter here, you can also plug in the headset and then close the game) and then open the game.

Over a year!!! How is this still an issue!! Soo frustrating blizzard. Yea, closing the game then reopening works but how f’in dumb is it to have to close out OW every single time so that the next login your mic works?!? Thanks for rending the new quick resume completely useless. Not only have you had an ongoing issue (that works in every other game just fine?!?) For over a year, you’re now actively in the way of us taking advantage of new tech.

I am still not able to team chat but can chat in parties etc, this has been like this for several months now, im pretty sure i dont have a ban since i hardly talk and when i do im very polite (mom here)

3 Likes

I think I’ve found the issue. Xbox series X/S does Quick start when you load up the game from start up if you didn’t properly quit.

If you are having this issue. Press the Xbox button it the middle, go to Overwatch in the list and press the Game options button. Quit Overwatch and then load up the game from scratch. It will work for that game session.

In future, make sure you quit the game before turning off your xbox. If you load up the game and it says you have been disconnected from the servers, you must quit the game and relaunch to be able to speak in game.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but this is how I get it working.

Quitting and restarting the game still does not fix the issue for me. I have tried nearly everything and for over a year the voice chat has still not worked for me. Does anyone have any other fixes??

2 Likes

I’m on an xbox X with elite controller 2.

Since this has gone cross play, I wanted to play with my PC friends and was really excited but we cant because I cant hear anything or be heard in group chat!

Please fix this as the cross play feature is useless!

1 Like

Came here to find a solution and I see this has been a problem for over a year? Insane. I have to completely shut down my game and start it up every time my group voice chat doesn’t work. That’s the only way I can get it to work. If I have to switch out batteries in my controller then I have to restart the game or my mic won’t work. It is definitely annoying.

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

I know at least four people having this issue as well, really surprised to see there’s a thread from so long ago and so many replies, and no response or answers from blizzard. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I’ll try some out. The only thing that rarely works for me is turning the mic on/off in the audio settings but that has worked like twice in the last few months. It’s even more irritating now with crossplay because it makes it impossible to communicate with your teammates on PS4, etc. PLEASE blizzard help us out!!!

1 Like

My issue started today it has worked until this afternoon when I got on it shows the name plate on left side but I cant get it to work.

Solutions I’ve encountered:

1. Toggle mic off and on in Xbox audio settings(Xbox button -> Audio and Music -> Headset Mic Off/On)
  2. Unplug your Xbox from power to clear cache
  3. Make sure you allow communications from outside xbox in account settings. (Settings -> Account -> Privacy and Online Safety -> Xbox Privacy -> View Details and Customize -> Communication and Multiplayer -> Set all to allow and everybody)
1 Like