Will Overwatch 2 support Linux?

2 years ago it worked fine on ubuntu.
The developers neither offer support for it, nor do they forbid its use in any way.

It still works fine on Ubuntu you just need to install Lutris.

1 Like

Valve really tried to support gaming on Linux and it justā€¦ never went anywhere.

They supported it a lot and if it didnā€™t work with that, I donā€™t know what will. However I think the threat of Linux possibly gaining momentum as a viable platform for PC gaming may have been what pressured Microsoft to get their spit in order and really improve later versions of windows.

I didnā€™t help that around the time Valve decided to support Linux they also pretty much gave up releasing new games so there wasnā€™t much ā€œplay Half Life 3 on linux!ā€.

1 Like

I feel like it still is getting somewhere due to protondb. Granted if a new AAA game that came out for Windows Iā€™m sure you couldnā€™t play it day 1.

How big is the potential playerbase of Ubuntu users? In my experience nearly everyone using Ubuntu either doesnā€™t care about games or has multiple operating systems (or multiple devices).

1 Like

Isnā€™t that made by Valve?

Valve isnā€™t really a partner with activision-blizzard any more, not since they began endorsing the Blizzard client for all acti-bliz products.

It would be great to see some ā€œcoopertitionā€ in this industry, and who knows, it might happen. The problem in these sorts of things is there is an escalation of each side demanding more and more and before you know it the simple deal became what both sides saw as outrageous demands of each other.

Valve is pretty good at making deals though.

2 Likes

^^ this is the biggest reason that Linux support will never be there for games.
Not enough new players to justify development costs.

2 Likes

because it already works their via wine and other Progs.

Why going threw the hard work of making a direct port, when someone already did the work for you.

I imagine so as well, kind of a shame, but itā€™s the reality of the situation.

Valve actively supports gaming on Linux, what do you mean? They use Protonā€¦ Hell, they actively update it. Itā€™s what allows me to play games on Linux, specifically Arch.

And gaming on Linux is popular due to the fact that Linux tends to run games better and more efficiently because of how bloated Windows is along with how outdated its file system is.

Take for instance Stellaris. This game is known to take a minute to load up, especially of you heavily mod it. But itā€™s rare for me to have to spend more than a minute booting the game and loading files up on Linux. Mind you, Iā€™m dual booting Arch and Windows.

Not exactly. Porting requires money and Doing it for obscure platform is not always worth the effort.

1 Like

LMAO this comment aged like milk, given the release of Proton (Valveā€™s Windows compatibility layer based on WINE for Linux) and Valveā€™s upcoming gaming handheld, also running on Linux. Currently over 50% of Steam games are officially supported, and Valve wants to push that way up for the release of the Steamdeck.

I canā€™t imagine it being worth a developers time to do anything but console/Windows PC anymore.

The overhead of having to QA Mac/Linux when they can run PC games if they want is simply not worth it.

It wonā€™t be officially supprted but you prolly could play it on linux without much problem like ow1, except for that you get perma banned mistakenly sometimes.(unbanned after some days mostly tho)

remembers article saying they didnt find a game that didnt run on it
soā€¦they lied

So like, only 10 worthy games and thousands of trash platformers or what

1 Like

I dunno man, looks like a little more than 10 to me: www.protondb (dot) com.
Keep tryinā€™ bud.

Relevance?
20 characters

Unnoficially they would support it. But effectively itā€™s really unlikely. Would be mostly due drivers and anti-cheat systems.

Keep in mind that on linux case they canā€™t talk directly with the minds behind the OS or technnicians to sort out issues. Steam created a whole structure to support it and isnā€™t compatible with its whole library. If something goes wrong on windows they could sort thing out with microsoft. While on linux they would be by themselves.

We have steamOS by almost 9 years and doesnā€™t work for the entire steam library. Also wine and proton alternatives not always have good performance or are reliable with systems that has anti-cheat mechannics. Itā€™s better to ensure their software quality on a plataform they could ā€œcountā€ on it.

Ps4 itā€™s a example that shows that could work on linux, but sony back that up with a small range of devices. Having a support plataform makes it viable.

The odds of any Blizzard Game being released for Linux is greatly unlikely due to the complications it requires of the overall BattleNet game platform, Bill Warnecke detailed this a while backā€¦

1 Like