Will Overwatch 2 support Linux?

The playability of Overwatch on Ubuntu Linux rivals Windows 10. By using either Protonbd or Lutris the game works flawlessly. SO why not release it for Ubuntu? More platforms the better right?

5 Likes

ngl this is my first time ever hearing about this

But it would be nice…

2 Likes

Ubuntu? or Linux?..

Both I guess…

Well id suggest checking Linux out in general. There are a lot of different distros to choose from. You may end up liking it for work, school etc. You can also dual-boot windows and linux on the same drive or on separate drives.

Yea why not installing w10 4head its only like 8gb orsomething

No.
Linux is not for gaming, never will be.
Everyone that games on linux is already doing so (both of you) there is no reason for any company to expand their development to support something with thousands of varieties of the operating system when there is no profit in it to support both of you.

1 Like

LOL the last I heard Overwatch wasn’t permitted on linux because Warden or whatever anti cheat they have now, doesn’t work on it.

Honestly though. whom wants to go through a billion steps at installing the game or using WINE . lolz.

The only good thing I’ve ever found good from a Linux distro is using it as a server.

And most only use it for accessing “the other side of the net”. i mean lolz…

1 Like

More platforms = more support and more testing. If it greatly increases your test matrix in exchange for a very tiny increase in users then it’s generally not considered worth it.

8 Likes

Windows was always the primary OS for PC gaming for various (good) reasons and it’s unlikely to change in the near future due to it’s huge mass and momentum. For this reason the best thing you can do is using Windows for gaming.

I’d probably purchase a separate SSD into the same machine and dedicate it for Windows and games. This approach doesn’t require a new machine and you don’t have to mess with virtualization or partitions on your current drives.

3 Likes

What scripting program does OW use? Because I’m pretty sure there are some programs that don’t work on Linux

It is very likely OW2 will use DX12 and in that case it will most likely work flawlessly (as long as vkd3d actually works) over Wine.

Probably not. It will probably work just fine but official support is another thing entirely and usually deemed not worth it for such a small number of users on such a diverse and fast moving platform. Some game developers have released numbers in the past that showed Linux accounted for a tiny percentage of users but a large share of support requests, so that’s why.

1 Like

The train for native ports is far gone anyways. No one wants these when it turns out that a game running through Proton performs just as well. A good native port still outperforms Proton ofc, but no one will invest that much money into a dead platform.

I would love this and they could be close to supporting it natively. The engine/team have so-far been able to port OW almost everywhere.

Right now, Linux passthrough still adds around 10ms input lag and 10% fps loss. That might be ok for a casual rhein or healbot. But it’s not esports competitive.

I’m all about Linux and support gaming there, but this is an FPS where every ounce of optimization matters.

1 Like

Highly unlikely. They didn’t even release the current version for Mac, despite having other games on the platform.

2 Likes

Although that was more of a technical limitation of Mac OS not really supporting any useful API and doing their own thing (Metal or something i think it was called???) that no one really called for. Linux supports OpenGL and Vulkan, and developers can use DXVK to translate DX11 to Vulkan even on build-time, so there really isn’t much of an issue.

Market share, however, is…

1 Like

Your comment comes off as biased. “Linux is not meant for gaming”. So why is there plenty of games to play on Steam that are available to Linux?

I have a gut feeling that you never even tried any Distros or if you did it was just “too hard” to re learn. I hope you enjoy your own little world that you live in.

3 Likes

If you keep in mind all plataforms who has Overwatch and will have Overwatch2 and consider they playing between them, vulkan would be the best choice for compatibility. If they aim the same client on all plataforms, vulkan would also the best choice, also for compatibility. But the “heavy-lifting” to make these 8 standalone clients (one for overwatch and 1 for overwatch2 in each plataform) working together in a “single” and “consistent” structure it’s by far, harder than making 2 standalone clients working in each plataform by themselves(turning them on one client).

I think a lot of the content in overwatch it’s unified, but not sure how much if you mean working on 4 plataforms too heterogeneous than we have right now. Because some arquitectural perks on software, Disk, cache, RAM, features, CPU and GPU from each of plataform could make the game perform better or worse. From gamesize files to slowdown issues, high latency, high loading times, some physics.

To make these to be unified they mostly would need to create Overwatch2 from the ground aiming these goals, who doesn’t even existed on 2016(or even before that on conceptual phase like project titan from 2012 maybe even earlier).

I would be happy if they really done that, because I could play overwatch in any plataform with my friends, but I know that it’s not easy because the “core arquitecture” needed to provide this type of compatibility. If they could, a lot of things would be needed to be addressed.

About linux, adds more about “complexity” and “compatibility” per “time/price”. It’s business and if they put a lot of work on something that doesn’t generate too much revenue it’s “not viable”. Alot people plays on Lutris, ProtonDB and others, but the cost to create something native and “check and validate” any issue in this plataform outperform the financial benefit of investing on those. Most of the popular “game engines” works on linux, but none of them works full well on there. Most of the people who works on popular engines needs Windows OS for the best “price/time” ratio also less bugs and issues. Then add how many users use Linux based distros, then you have the answer.

I know that PS4 use some FreeBSD variant, but it’s heavily otimized for that hardware and have more “straight-forward” path to do stuff in there. It’s not equal to work on “rough” stone it’s more like work on something pre-set to support your application.

I think because they worked on various plataforms and with the help from TED they could address more “unified” solutions but maybe their engine and TED couldn’t be done on Vulkan from the ground or the client entirely unified on all plataforms. But I think there is hope and maybe we get some or full communication between plataforms. With the Overwatch 2 Client.

2 Likes

We can only hope for the best right? Linux has come pretty far when it comes to gaming. Hell a few decades ago it didnt even have support from Steam.

Also I do wish devs would go more with Vulkan since it is more of a powerhouse than opengl.

1 Like