Will Overwatch 2 support Linux?

remembers article saying they didnt find a game that didnt run on it
so…they lied

So like, only 10 worthy games and thousands of trash platformers or what

1 Like

I dunno man, looks like a little more than 10 to me: www.protondb (dot) com.
Keep tryin’ bud.

Relevance?
20 characters

Unnoficially they would support it. But effectively it’s really unlikely. Would be mostly due drivers and anti-cheat systems.

Keep in mind that on linux case they can’t talk directly with the minds behind the OS or technnicians to sort out issues. Steam created a whole structure to support it and isn’t compatible with its whole library. If something goes wrong on windows they could sort thing out with microsoft. While on linux they would be by themselves.

We have steamOS by almost 9 years and doesn’t work for the entire steam library. Also wine and proton alternatives not always have good performance or are reliable with systems that has anti-cheat mechannics. It’s better to ensure their software quality on a plataform they could “count” on it.

Ps4 it’s a example that shows that could work on linux, but sony back that up with a small range of devices. Having a support plataform makes it viable.

The odds of any Blizzard Game being released for Linux is greatly unlikely due to the complications it requires of the overall BattleNet game platform, Bill Warnecke detailed this a while back…

1 Like

I am a Linux (Lubuntu) user and I strongly support a release for Linux. I also support keeping the 6v6 comp.

1 Like

Whats Linux?

The operating system that everything is built on including Windows and Mac.

Why have I never heard of this system.

Probably not, but I heard they are working on support for the Ngage.

The game is made in C++ and the majority of software and games in Linux are C++. If they made it work for Mac; they can make it work for Linux easily. Especially now with the new updated NVIDIA and AMD drivers that are compatible with all Linux distros.

1 Like

So you’re not actually playing on Linux, just for the record. There’s a reason they included the “Windows compatibility” part. You’re emulating a Windows environment on a Linux PC. That means Linux will not actually play those games without it.

1 Like

I’m a software engineer with 2 degrees and if I had the C++ code, I could compile it for Linux. I am more experienced with application development and web development; however, there is little difference, a game is an application that passes files, makes TCP/UDP packet handshakes and transmissions with a server; and drawing graphics with 3D rendering. Running a .exe file in Windows is not any different than running an executable in Linux. The only difference is the compiler to communicate with the operating system for compatibility.

1 Like

I’m not gonna lie that’s pretty impressive.

Suffice it to say that there’s a good reason why there’s such a stigma around Linux gaming. The fact that you have to basically emulate Windows to run most games on the market is a factor. I don’t think the issue here has to do with being able to compile something just to say it’s possible. I think the issues with Linux development reach much farther than just the possibility of it compiling on Linux.

Emulating Windows significantly slows down the operating system and uses significantly more CPU power, RAM and I tried using Lutris and the menu was slowed and delayed and it crashed my 11GB GTX1080ti. Causing me to reboot my computer. I was also using a Ryzen 7 clocked at 4.6GHz and 32GB of DDR4 3200mhz RAM. My computer can run 10 instances of Overwatch at a time with no lag. Emulating Windows with Wine or Lutris does not play the game as efficiently as Windows and it didn’t work. It is also not secure and has many vulnerabilities. 1. You can’t run antivirus software for Linux; there is none. 2. Antivirus software doesn’t protect your computer, I have developed hacking software that is not detectable by any in the world including AVG, Avast, Norton, Malwarebytes, any of them; and it is also cross platform. 3. I want to play on Linux not Windows. I don’t want to emulate a horribly programmed unsecure operating system; that opens ports and sends packets when you press the start button (I checked with Wireshark). In addition, Microsoft has hacking software built into their operating system.

I also mine cryptocurrency while playing to utilize 100% of my graphics card and processor. Windows alone slows my performance and I have to fully overclock in Windows to match the performance of Linux. Each process in Windows and The operating system use GPU power while Linux is so lightweight, I can use 99.9% of my GPU while in Windows I can use 95%.

2 Likes

I’ve been gaming on Linux since the 2012 beta on Steam… and playing Overwatch on Linux since not long after launch a few years ago. I don’t have any Windows PC’s (not since 2003) and my laptop is from 2015 (an Asus RoG laptop with Intel core i7 and a GeForce 970m, mind you)… plays 95% of the Windows games I’ve tried out over the years–with even more running in Lutris or in Steam than seems to be able to run on Windows 7-10 on friends’ machines (especially older Windows games that are no longer compatible with later versions of Windows–but WINE adjusts the calls for MANY versions of Windows). So yeah… I’m absolutely in favor of a Linux port… but I’m happy enough with just keeping the Windows version compatible with WINE so that it’s just one compiled and supported release like they’ve already been doing with the existing original Overwatch game. Even on my aging hardware, it runs buttery smooth and I’m okay with that.

Also–WINE is not emulation, it’s just answering Windows calls with Linux calls which is why things run at near-to-100% and sometimes faster, depending on the calls, the drivers and the hardware being used.

Rock on, RobertKarash! :unicorn: Rock on! :penguin:

I would LOVE to see overwatch 2 come to both Linux and macOS! Absolutely great idea! 100% I support this yes!
:smirk_cat: :+1:

The only reason that game developers like Blizzard still prefer only releasing on Windows is… Microsoft. They’re “donating” cough billions of dollars to companies in order to keep them Windows-only OR (like it happened to ActivisionBlizzard) are purchased by Microsoft. :wink:

And well… cartel offices exist but they’re useless crap that just costs millions of taxpayers money :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

On my computer, from the first time i’ve tried Overwatch, i had ~100-110% FPS compared to Windows. (Meaning, it sometimes ran up to 10% faster because Linux OSes are lighter)… :wink:
Windows isn’t something that needs to be emulated, it’s translated - which means that Kernel API Calls for Windows are just redirected to similar (or identical) calls on the Linux kernel. That means, the translation layer has almost no impact on the performance at all - which is great. :sweat_smile:

1 Like