Why was mass rez removed

Blizz removed mass res because hide and seek is bad. That’s why i call the users or that strategy is bad mercies. They don’t have the skill to survive in the fight so the just abuse the system to gain SR without participating the battle. Must i explain it more?

No skilled mercies would use that strategy, which is why they’re called “boosted mercy mains”. Because with their level of skills, they dont belong in their rank.

And because of they are abusing the system all mercy mains are labeled as such. Who feel the after effect of their attitude? The mercy mains that play fair and didn’t abuse hide and seek.

God, sometimes i just wish these kind of bad mercies just didn’t exist.

EDIT: apology accepted, the icons sometimes are confusing, i admit.

Junkrat was garbage, he would be a easy counter for it now.

Blizzard encouraged the hide and seek gameplay through the Personal performance SR system which valued big ults the most. Mercy’s ult was simply the easiest to abuse for large SR bonuses when you won a match.

But her ult was like the other support ults, which could negate an entire team’s worth of ultimates (depending on the ults). Only it usually did it after the ult storm. Or it was used to maintain tempo when ult storms were not being thrown around.

However she was not a must pick. Not once Ana came into the picture and even before then Zen/Lucio was still a thing (cause Lucio was a must pick till his rework). You did not need the ability to mass res because mass res could be as much a detriment to your team as it was a benefit. For example:

That Mercy ult was wasted because the enemy abused it’s mechanics and now the team was down a support ult for the second point. All mercy achieved was resetting the respawn timers.

Which was also why Mercy was F tier at the pro level:
https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-02-22-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-season-3-review
And it took Ana being nerfed and Lucio reworked to bring her up. Though she was still only at best D/C tier till she got her rework which actually did make her a must pick.

1 Like

Your impression here is that the reason Blizzard removed mass res was because it was hindering Mercy players – it was a bad strategy, and they removed it. But, that isn’t the reason why. In fact that’s really contradictory, if it was a bad strategy, why would they remove it? How could Mercy players use this to boost their account intentionally, when a bad strategy would otherwise fail them the game consistently, and thus prevent them from wins?

It’s also unfair to call the people who used the hide-and-res strategy “bad Mercys,” especially with the tone you have. It just seems like your definition of “bad” here is a moral one, like those Mercys were bad for exploiting something, when that’s not the case at all. They were just playing the game using the mechanics given, and when this big icon gets bigger and bigger the more dead teammates there are, how can you blame them for wanting to press Q during those moments instead of a 1 or 2-man res?

I think there’s some confusion here and among others about the SR boost thing. The SR boost thing was a problem that affected literally all Mercys, it was hardly this thing that people were doing intentionally to try and “exploit” the system, no more than people who picked Sombra even though they weren’t skilled as Sombra to try and boost their rank. People just want to deny that the hide-and-res was a genuine strategy that genuinely worked 90% of the time.

In general, every Mercy was a victim of being “boosted,” and this wasn’t just because of an SR miscalculation, it was also because Mercy lacked any skill requirement, and thus many felt any wins a Mercy had were just because she was playing an easily-carried hero. It’s why you saw a bunch of Mercy one-tricks who genuinely weren’t abusing the SR thing intentionally that should have been several ranks down; lo and behold, when those Mercys are pushed to play another hero, they failed miserably because they were way out of rank. That has nothing to do with how Mercy uses Resurrect, that’s just Mercy’s kit being uninvolved and requiring little thought for output.

Like, shoot, I’m sorry if these people gave you a bad rep, but I think Mercy mains have a bad rep from much bigger problems within their community, stuff completely unrelated to the whole SR thing.

Mass rez was stupidly overpowered. How do you justify being invulnerable while instantly reviving 5 teammates who have ultimates. It was the biggest pair of crutches in the game and they replaced it with some more crutches for the snowflakes.

Well now you moved to mercy no skill argument, which is not the original topic that discuss why mass res is removed. So I won’t start an argument with you about it.
Jeff already said it was removed because of hide and seek, and the usage of that strategy is an unintended use of her ultimate, its not what the developer wanted her kit to be used. That’s why i call it a “bad” strategy, which comes from the abuse of the system rather than from the usefullness of the strategy.
We can compare it like this: a programmer in a bank found a flaw in the bank system that he could insert a script that moves 1 cent from each transactions to an anonymous account. That “strategy” is useful to the programmer, but it still abusing the system. Then the bank notices and patched the system because of him, But in the process, all programmers are fired because the bank couldn’t find who did that because the programmer didn’t leave a trace.
That is what happening here. Because of some people are abusing the system the other mercies feel the brunt of it.
The point that i’m talking about is there’s a flaw in the system (the sr gain for mass res) that made the players abuse the system. Because it’s easier to hide and res baiting enemy ultimates to get 5 man res rather than waiting the moment to happen in a normal fight. But blizz chose to rework rather that fix the SR gain system to prevent hide and seek abuse (in above story, the bank rather than trying to find the programmer that did it, they just fired all programmers).

Mercy
Hide, go in, Triangle/Q, rez team
Blizzard: “This is bad.”

Reaper
Hide, go in, Triangle/Q, kill team
Blizzard: “This is good.”

It wasn’t because of the hide-'n-seek gameplay that it encouraged. Many other heroes also have to hide in order to utilize their ults, and I will stand by that statement until it becomes meta that a Junkrat can pop his ult in the middle of a fight and come out alive, and same goes for Symmetra.

As for being unbalanced, as it had been said, 10 heroes have team-wiping ults, no change. Makes Mercy a must-pick support? Buff the other supports. It’s unfair because of the virtue that it undoes a mistake rather than prevent? Kinda the definition of “resurrect”; to “fix” it would only mean to remove it.

Or make simple, casual changes to her ult. Not rework Resurrect then take a sledgehammer to it.

As for “being unfun” to play against, believe me, it’s not fun to activate spectator mode and go around with a whoop-de-doo chain heal. Hardly game changing. I’ve seen two (2) Mercy POTGs since the sledge was dropped in December and both were simply because both teams happened to be brain-damaged the entire game by miracle.

v1.0 Rez is made out to be this insane game-changing thing with HURR 5 MAN REZ but that happened a lot less frequently than what DPS mains conflate it to be.

Just hurry up and make all healers DPS, Jeff. It’s just unfun at best and punishing at worst to play current-gen Mercy.

3 Likes

How about make her staff shoot like Zaryas weapon then give her mass res back after taking Valk away.

“If Mercy genuinely lacked impact to a notable degree, she would not be picked. But lo and behold…”

Hmm

16 DPS
3 pure tank/2 hybrid tank
5 DPS/Healer Hybrids
1 “pure” healer

Something about this really bamboozles my bazingas.
Maybe an alternative should be created.

3 Likes

“. That “strategy” is useful to the programmer, but it still abusing the system. Then the bank notices and patched the system because of him, But in the process, all programmers are fired because the bank couldn’t find who did that because the programmer didn’t leave a trace.
That is what happening here. Because of some people are abusing the system the other mercies feel the brunt of it.”

A certain playstyle, by virtue of meta, does not make it “abuse of the system”. Nowhere even near it, not even close. Saying that it was unintended, sure, I can accept that. But just because people followed a pattern sequence when utilizing an ult does not make it inherently “bad”. It’s maximizing effectiveness. No different than D.Va flying towards the skybox and activating her nuke, or Zenyatta purposely going into a Graviton Surge to pop Transcendence.

hey guyz ima out heal all deez ults cause if i hide from thm im lettin u die

Did hide and res raises the win rate of the mercies who did that? No, i don’t think so. So it isn’t a useful strategy to win, but a useful strategy to win easy SR. Same with the programmer, it’s a useful strategy to get money rather than working fairly.

The difference is only what the programmer does is illegal because there are rules that forbid it.

When you’re doing something that benefits you but is unintended by the system and in the process is giving loss to others (in this situation, maybe make it a losing fight or make it less fun for the other teammates that died while you are hiding and didn’t heal them) i think its abusing the system.

1 Like

I absolutely loathe the abused-SR argument. An easily-fixable exploit is a terrible reason to change an ult, as well as not even being the reason why it was changed.

On the off-chance that it was, or even if it was taken into consideration when changing the ult, then it further proves that the competitive scene outweighs the majority casual market, which in my opinion is not only bad game design but overall bad business design.

1 Like

Yes, i agree that blizz should’ve just fix the exploit rather than rework the ult.

1 Like

Because DPS wouldn’t adapt to a mechanic which could counter their plays. We ended up with Valkyrie which the original patch notes stated could make “big game-making plays” and “open up new options for Mercy” but Valkyrie barely does either of those now. She needs another rework imo.

3 Likes

I really love how the majority of the playerbase is still so hellbent on making Hide and Rez an actually valuable strategy that all Mercy players used and won games with.
No, Resurrect never encouraged that kind of play style but you know who did? My teammates. I was told to stay back and hide and let them go in 5v6 to save the day, when in fact I’d really rather be with my team and try to heal/dmg boost as much as possible to save my Rez for a situation where it’s more valuable and not a forced throw away ult. The ultimate itself never told us to do so, in fact it wasn’t even a thing in the beginning. And just because there’s a handful of people using that Hide and Rez exploit to climb ranks doesn’t mean the whole lot of Mercy mains who actually played her right should be punished. There’s so many other ways to fix what was the problem but no one listened to us, just like no one listened when we said the rework is a failure. But the moth meta apparently still was our fault, for some reason.

6 Likes

It was an unhealthy (how ironic) mechanic. No-one liked having their hard earned almost-team kill undone all because she was hiding in one of a dozen locations and the flanker didn’t guess correctly where she was, and couldn’t kill her when she wasn’t hiding because she was well-protected. On the flipside, no-one liked dying to a damage-boosted TacVisor only to get rezzed into a Graviton Surge and a storm of AoE damage.

“JUST KILL MERCY FIRST LOOOOL 4HEAD”
That works sometimes. However, most of the time (particularly on the last point of certain maps) she’ll respawn and be able to rez by the time the rest of her team is dead.

Not in my game, tho.

2 Likes

Frankly, I have doubts.

Never seen them hiding

1 Like