Why is GGEZ censored but not the N word?

Blizzard went out of their way to censor something outside of the profanity filter. But they did not censor the n-word. That’s proof that Blizzard doesn’t care if you use the n-word.

we should avoid trying to demonize Blizzard. I think they are trying to do the right thing, but they need a little more guidance. hyperbolic statements doesn’t help in solving the issue at hand.

They literally allow people to spam the n-word in game. So I don’t think that is a hyperbolic statement.

What are they doing?

well namely profanity filter.

I’d argue that if they censor something outside of the filter (gg ez) but not something else (n-word), that they are allowing one but not the other. E.g. they are allowing the n-word in some spaces, but not gg ez. Am I incorrect

I think blizzards issue with censoring the N word comes from the fact that you can say the N word multiple different ways, like changing the ending of the word with “igga” which African Americans commonly use to refer to each other in a frendly manner together with the prospect of “taking the power away from the word itself”
That being said, you take the N word out and players (whose race nobody really knows or can tell) will use iterations of that word in an offensive manner to compensate for the lack of the “formal” N word.
And on the other note, people still type ggez in chat even if it gets filtered out, cuz we all know what the words mean, therefor it’s the intent of the word that matters more than the word/words itself… So in a way the question is how many words would they have to filter altogether, where to draw the line…

I support your efforts OP, and I agree with your logic, censoring words like the N word and kys and morphing them into “I love you” or “great teammate” or “I’m sorry for being a d***” or whatever in the spirit of ggez censorship would imho actually have a positive effect and should be done.

I wouldn’t put naughty words in the same basket as racism. Also your post is off-topic

1 Like

There are also words on these forums that when typed won’t let you post but there are also other words that will post YET get you instantly silenced for a week.

On yeah, and you can’t post Junkrat’s last name on the forums. It won’t let you even post it.

In short, Blizzard has no clue how to properly block inappropriate content while actually blocking content that’s perfectly fine.

1 Like

EZ my Neezy

Obligatory reminder that making light of racism is probably a bad idea. Where as making fun of people with an ego is hilarious.

It is censored. Turn on profanity filter.

That’s not censorship, it’ s an Easter egg.
Do you think you should use an easter egg to indicate the N-word?
If you think so, then please share a few exemplary phrases for the Easter egg here in the forum.

The really important thing is the message, not the word itself. Try censoring that.

Quite the opposite. Censoring a word makes it more offensive. It’s what gives it its power.

I am gonna be that guy today,

I feel they censor GGEZ as a joke.

Just as I feel that people who get offended enough to report/be upset enough to post about or seek action against GGEZ are also a joke.

I do, however, believe the N word should ABSOLUTELY be censored.

I do not, however, feel these two instances correlate and that GG EZ deserves censorship.

Goodbye.

3 Likes

Why’d you type that out mockingly and then completely agree with it?

1 Like

Because the alternating capslock thing is such a meme that people just do it for the sake of doing it.

Except it’s not really solved.

Unless you censor the N word and all it’s synonymous with you won’t either. The obvious answer is mute, report and continue to request the N word and at least a handful of variants/spelling is censored.

There’s not a lot else to be done here. So AFAI am concerned, it is solved this way.

I mean if you report it as soon as it happens its solved. He will get banned VERY quickly, because we already know that there is some form of chat scan for specific words aside from the automated report system being number based.

To the people asking to turn on chat filter again. Why should we have to do that? All slurs should be banned/censored no matter what.

EVEN IF we turn the filter back on, they’re still saying the word. That solves nothing.

Edited for Language by the Moderation Team.
Forum Code of Conduct - Blizzard Support

1 Like

Mute and block is a way to deal with small people, but unfortunately It is not a problem solved.
People still dying only for their colour skin.
Black lives matter