Why I Stopped Loving Multiplayer Games

I agree with you to an extent… this might sound weird, but I’ve actually made friends just chatting with people in the general chat in the main menus (back before they removed it) and that’s not to mention the loss of LFG or other system.

However… I still believe there is too strong a misconception that -everyone- in the game is toxic and out to get you which is simply not true!

Due to that, many people never chat, or never hop into voice. It’s one thing if you prefer to play that way… but it’s another if you’re “suffering in silence” so to speak and actually looking to make friends, when all it really takes is to hop into voice and just show you’re willing to chat… you don’t even have to be good at the game or be making sick call outs to assist the team. Simple things like “oh hey rein sick double kill!” or “wow thanks for the heals support, you really saved my butt that game”.

I know I’m long winded, my point is this: If you give people a chance, you’ll often find they return the favor… for everyone else, just let it roll off your back like water because you don’t owe toxic players anything and you’ll never actually meet them either.

1 Like

I’d take a static game that’s fun over a job that pretends to be a game

1 Like

What makes Overwatch 2 a job for you?

…um, no. Life 101 is to live within our means and if people can’t control their urges to make optional purchases then perhaps they should seek professional assistance with that…? :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah but then again, this is fundamentally a multiplayer online competitive FPS. If thats not your vibe … not really much they can do about it.
Theres going to be a PvE option where you will unlock more things and have progression and cosmetics I am guessing.

You are asking OW2 PvP to be something it can’t be, since PvE will fill that void.

Also Single Offline/Online player games exist. We shouldnt complain OW2 looks nothing progression wise to Elden Ring, that would be absurd.

Again see above.
PvP game, PvP Rewards. Cosmetics are a different thing, more related to PvE and Single Player Games (where you can customize your heroes).

Let’s see: Overreliance on teamwork to the point where no amount of individual effort matters. Trying to make me play roles I hate (supports). The only source of progression being a limited battlepass that I’ll inevitably miss out half the content on. MMR forcing steamrolls due to the reliance on a 50/50 winrate. All of this is why I quit Overwatch months ago.

1 Like

Yes you literally talk about how it was sustainable, but they kept changing things and made if fail.

Just like each single player RPG franchise still survives.

Just look at Final Fantasy game is literally upfront only and make big profit each time. Bloddy heckin Cyberpunk ate crap and still made profit… people just wanna suck corporate… well…

These companies are not your friend, they will never be your friend, you do not have to defend their BS.

1 Like

Overwatch has always been this way. If you don’t enjoy teamwork then go play Call of Duty. That sounds like more your speed.

Did Aaron Keller come to your house and force you into playing support? Or are you just making things up? :thinking:

How many cosmetics are already in your account from Overwatch 1? I promise you the world won’t end if you don’t get a 700th voice line or 500th skin.

This is a lie. I consistently win more than 50% of my matches and so do many other players. Maybe you’re at the rank you belong?

Then why are you still here? It seems like odd behavior to continue to obsess over something you quit.

1 Like

Almost every multiplayer game has at least some way to show off your progression. That’s not a PVE exclusive thing. Plenty of PVP games do this too and THRIVE for it. TF2 rewards you for playing by giving you new weapons and hats, old Overwatch gave free loot boxes for levelling up, Apex gives you loot boxes for levelling up. Why doesn’t Overwatch reward you for playing?

EZ. Because Actiblizz is greedy.

Bro, that’s not how psychology works. Any professional would agree with me that this whole system is predatory as hell. Just because it’s optional doesn’t mean it isn’t predatory and, to be frank, evil.

No it wasn’t. Before, you could actually pull some crazy crap off by yourself. Then high sustain and dive came in and nothing was ever the same. Did you not play in 2016?

They try to pressure you into playing support by giving coins. I don’t like systems like those because screw you for playing the way you like apparently.

IDC about that. I care about new players who won’t get the stuff I do. Also I liked having levels. It at least made me feel like I was doing something here.

No it’s not. That’s how all mmr systems work. If you deny this, then you don’t know how game design works and are just deluding yourself. It’s literally the bread and butter of how to make an MMR system. Let me guess: You had a team to work with? You were smurfing? You were boosted by a specific hero or by a friend? Whatever it was, it wasn’t skill that carried you. Skill is completely invalidated by the way this game works. No amount of skill can carry a game when your team is filled with people functioning off drool buckets.

Because I miss the game this once was. This game has potential. It has potential to be an actually good game. But its these factors that hold it back for most gamers.

1 Like

Great vid. I don’t blame the developers, which are wild beasts in a sense that they respond to simple incentives. More money = motivation to do literally anything, including throwing out all standards of quality and integrity. A lot of people involved in development, especially at the top, don’t even play games at all–why would they care if the game is fun? How would they even know? All they care about is the bottom line.

The problem is the segment of the community that defends their every decision, no matter how greedy, anti-fun, or anti-consumer, because…

God knows why. We have people with 20-50 THOUSAND posts who have never once seen any fault with the game or development decisions. Trying to convince them the game has gone wayward is like trying to convince a super fan to turn against their favorite streamer…

Not gonna happen. That streamer is like a god to them. Ditto this company to the very vocal super fans on here.

2 Likes

In 2016 everyone was learning the game. It’s 2023 now, stop living in the past. Most players got better at the game. Do you want everyone to stop moving and let you pull off ‘crazy crap’? This is a team game. Not Call of Duty deathmatch.

It’s a few cents in coins per week. Who honestly cares? No one is stopping you from picking the role you want to play. You are just looking for things to be mad about.

No you don’t. Stop lying.

All I hear from you are wild conspiracy theories drowning in sodium. Stop coping and take off the tinfoil hat. The reason you don’t climb is because you hate teamwork and think you should be able to pull off ‘crazy crap’ like you said above against seasoned veteran players. Players like you are built for arcade. Not ranked.

You miss when no one knew how to play. You get frustrated by teamwork.

1 Like

I agree with OP except for this part. Take control of your experience, man, lol. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Do it if you like, otherwise find something more worthwhile to spend your time on.

Skins are for rich kids now. Perhaps you are not the target audience. Take that as a complement and find something more rewarding to do, perhaps.

…that’s nice but as I said, life is full of temptations and people who have problems with controlling them should seek professional help and/or not engage in activities/games that tempt them, easy really… :wink:

1 Like

Overwatch players were spoiled for 6 years and now that their one time $40 purchase no longer entitles them to getting everything for free forever they are losing their minds. I think a lot of them were kids when the game released and now they are turning into young adults with no understanding of how the real world works. Overwatch isn’t funded on rainbows and sunshine.

1 Like

The game was objectively different. The sustain is way too high these days. The game wasn’t designed around strong burst heals and AOE heals. I don’t play CoD. I’m, at most, a TF2 veteran, but I got Overwatch around the same time as I started playing TF2. It was one of my first shooters.

Content should be for everyone. Not just for rich kids. Their new business model is vile. My model’s objectively better than theirs.

Because it was a brand new IP and no one knew how to play. Players improve, games evolve.

The sustain was even higher with 6v6 because you had to kill an additional tank. Ana and Bap were added into the game years ago. Why did you wait until now to finally complain about too many heals? :thinking:

1 Like

Because it’s way more apparent in 5v5. It’s easier to spread around those heals. I’ve hated it for years, but 5v5 was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It is literally what caused goats.

1 Like

It was much easier for supports to sit behind double shields and keep their teams alive forever. Now supports are constantly on the move. If you can’t kill a support then it’s a skill issue.

1 Like

This is the kind of stuff I’m talking about. It’s so bizzare to me that so many CONSUMERS think it’s “spoiled” and “entitled” to want what a good product in exhcange for their hard earned money.

Normally it’s the producer, not the consumer who is anti-consumer. It totally makes sense for Blizzard to want to milk us for every dollar possible, all while maintaing the minimal standards when it comes to customer support, server stability, Q/A and beta testing, etc.

But us? Why do we fight so hard for that crappy model? Why do we want our own experience to be worse and more expensive?

1 Like

naw he called the game ogrewatch