Why I can't see Gency happening

Hmm this really isn’t canon per se as Genji even speaks to Hanzo about it and they are not in contact as of what we know currently in the story. Chu also said most lines are non canon as well in game. As for those chocolates, they can mean many things in Japanese culture. Most that actually mean “good friends and obligations” rather than lovers.

I go with canon lines I know for sure, like Archives, as that is a canon event. I see them as really good friends seeking the attention of one another as a benefit to their own.

1 Like

I think shipping is lame as hell but Genji is pretty cool so i wouldnt mind caring for him straight male btw

2 Likes

I would reccomend anyone reading this to look up the japanese holiday “white day” if they want a good look at this part of japanese culture.

It’s a holiday where girls make chocolate from scratch (traditionally, though I wouldn’t be suprised if a lot of them went for store-bought) and give them out to her male friends.

If she’s in school, she’s expected to also give chocolates to her male classmates.

If she’s an adult, she’s expected to give them to her male co-workers.

Guys are expected to reciprocate on Valentine’s day, and give chocolates to the women who gave them chocolates on white day.

If you look at the dates on which Genji and Mercy have their chocolates lines, she gives him swiss chocolates on white day, which he reciprocates on valentine’s day.

2 Likes

It’s the future, many of those care functions are likely now managed via automated processes (machines) freeing up medical professionals to focus on other important aspects of care. Many standard techniques today will also have evolved by that time, so what you do today might not be their experience years from now.

Mercy is also a doctor and scientist, not only a nurse, though I realize there’s overlap in duties her work considerations will likely not strictly parallel your own.

2 Likes

First off, OP, I love this thread. There were a few things that I wasn’t a fan of with Gency, but aside from the doctor/patient relation, I couldn’t really put it into words, and your post helped with that. So thank you!

I think another thing that kind of makes me a little uneasy about Gency is just how quickly they’re doing it. Like, we have very little lore on Mercy herself, and most of the lore we do have is about her involvement with Genji. Other than that, all we know is:

Her parents were taken by war; she is close to the Lindholms; she was a medical prodigy and was the head of joined Overwatch at a young age; she is a pacifist; she created the Valkyrie gear; and after the fall, she started helping others wherever she could.

Everything else is related to Genji.

So if they do make Gency canon, then they need to develop Mercy’s character first. Otherwise, she’ll just be that doctor that saved Genji’s life and is now his girlfriend. I feel that’s what people say when they complain about Gency being forced. Because they’re developing the relationship before developing the characters. Even Genji could use some more development imo. Knowing more about his journey from angsty Shimada to enlightened cyborg ninja, knowing what his life with the clan was like, what his enlightenment with Zen was like, what he’s doing now, etc.

They may need to make Gency an endgame ship if they do want to make it canon just so they can fit in the lore and development to make it a gradual thing, but that should make it a little easier to take in for the people that aren’t sold on the ship.

And to add on to what OP said, if you want to ship Gency, by all means, go for it. Nobody’s stopping you. But likewise, people that don’t like Gency are free to voice their opinion on what they don’t like about it. A lot of these Gency threads, from what I’ve seen, aren’t telling people to not ship Gency. There are some threads that don’t do this, but for the most part, the Gency threads aren’t bashing the ship. They’re just talking about what they don’t like about it.

6 Likes

Have people missed the part where Mercy says that all she talks and willing to talk about with everyone is her research ( even calls it dry talk ) ?

She is just like Moira.

1 Like

Yes, I have. Is it a new line from Storm Rising? I haven’t gotten much chance to play it much after the first day.

1 Like

A lot of the comments I happen to see about it are about how it’s morally repugnant, which goes a little beyond “I personally don’t dig it” into “you’re a morally bankrupt person if you endorse it” territory. I’ve seen someone make the comparison to writing a character to be in a relationship with someone who’s underage…

I’m not saying all either, but I see it a lot.

1 Like

Someone from the forums shared it just yesterday, yes.

Also, she has a quote that says " The lengths I go to find someone to talk to me " or something. People just don’t put up with constant science talk.

She is like Moira in that matter but likeable and with ethics.

Freud approves of Gency though.
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/38677458/freud-approves.jpg

Well, it’s because the ‘doctor-patient’ relationship is a pretty well-known case in psychology. It’s often (not always, but in the vast majority of cases) an unhealthy relationship because the source of the affection is empathy and compassion of the doctor which gets confused for love (even from the viewpoint of both parties). On a psychological level this is just not sustainable in most cases.

2 Likes

Its a scifi first of all.
2nd she is a doctor. And uses a healing stick to heal people. That isnt traditional at all.
3. I can see her being a doctor to him. Not his physician or caretaker. Nurses would tend to genji. Intensive care units, and all that.
4. The relationship type is probably referencing old asian stories where wounded soldiers get tended by women and fall in love… Vs the americanized modern version.

1 Like

I think Mercy is more concerned with her work if anything to start a “actual” relationship. A friend is someone you can always have by your side and she can still do her work freely so I look at it like that.

2 Likes

It really makes me wonder their connection and relationship now. Were they friends? Did Mercy try to talk with Moira at one point? Did they have a fallout because both were too different?

Mercy said “The lengths she will go to to talk with someone” so Moira would make sense to talk with if she knew her right?

I wish we had more answers :confused:

I am more interested in Moira than Mercy tbh

Well, taking their sprays and interactions under consideration, the very reason as why Mercy cannot bring herself to talk to Moira anymore is because the latter has a divorce with ethics.

Picks genji in game…sees mercy…still hunting her down…the witch must die!

That wasn’t caregiving as she was healing a dangerous wound he sustained. Also, the romance was built up after that incident was over.

Maybe they once started off on the same foot but then figured out they can’t agree? Not on the same foot but were trying to maybe talk science and medical but it failed?

I wish we had some more lore on Moira and her connection to Mercy, if any at all.

I mean talking about one job is common teachers, police, firefighters. I’ve never seen that mercy quote only will talking about research.

Well, I can’t say they are not awfully alike after this event.

The whole ’ talking about science only and having no one to talk to because of it ’ was a Moira thing. A lot used to speculate that Mercy is the person who has connections with everyone but apparently, she is almost as a loner as Moira is.

I don’t expect anything from writers anymore.

1 Like

She says ’ Assuming you don’t find my research talk too dry ’ and on top of that ’ The lengths I go to find someone willing to talk to me. ’

Mercy has connections pretty much with everyone, especially Torbjorn and Reinhardt. Later on it is mentioned that she knows how Reinhardt is doing after his ’ retirement ’ while Tracer does not.

I mean, she is legit the last person who should be saying that she is desperate to find someone to talk to unless all she talks about is research all the time, which is basically what she said to Genji in his request to talk to her.

2 Likes