Why I can't see Gency happening

Okay thanks for clearing that up to about the quote .

There is a video up from Hammeh on youtube, the quotes are there !

1 Like

It’s been awhile seen I’ve watched Hammeh

This is true.

I mean doesn’t any one care about her?

Torbjorn definitely does, but if Mercy is remotely any similar to Moira in terms of keeping decent social interactions then I am afraid she is doomed.

If you think about it, her responses to several things are all too professional focused like ’ I told you to stay hydrated ’ and pressing Winston to take his supplements etc.

Kinda reminded me of Moira responding the same way in Gabriel’s joke ’ Does anyone else feel hungry ? '.

They are too ’ nerdy ’ to have personal life I guess, but with complete different ethics. Two sides of the same coin ?

3 Likes

They definitely are. I never realized until this event how similar after listening to the dialogue. I knew Mercy was a professional, but by seeing her in pictures with friends and family, like with Torbjorn giving the peace sign and her dressed up for Halloween looking happy with him, while I am not saying she can’t be this happy, she just seemed to have more of a, eh, “personality” of sorts I should say, a bit outgoing in some way from looking at those pictures.

I really can’t picture her doing those things after listening to how serious she is. I picture her as a serious person just standing there smiling in pictures and nothing more, but she seems like she can get some kind of personality out. Why she’s acting professional around friends and colleges beats me? I get that it’s to be serious and maybe it’s because we are catching her in serious situations, but she never lightened up even a bit. Only when talking to Genji it seems and even then, it is very subtle.

Moira on the other hand was said by Chu himself during a con that she is not really serious at all. He never mentioned Mercy, but he did mention Moira. We can see this by how Moira portrays her sarcastic wording and her dramatic responses to situations. Even Moira has more personality than Mercy haha

1 Like

Is it highly ironic that Moira in Retribution is the enabler of light-hearted interactions ( mentioning McCree’s Italian accent, cowboy culture, masquerade etc ) and on the other side Mercy being the complete opposite in Storm Rising ?

Like, any person would expect Mercy to be ’ the woman of people ’ and being the less professional scientist with everyone but she is only like that with Torbjorn.

As a matter of fact, in two pictures ( Halloween and from Ana’s Origins ), she is on Torbjorn’s side. You won’t really see her as friendly with others.

1 Like

Uh, I think you mean it reduces Genji to HER arm candy. (Have you seen that cyber-butt?)

Exactly, hence why I brought up the pictures. She is VERY close it seems to Torbjorn and the Lindholms as we speculate and know but how close? Well, from the pictures, she acts differently as you said so there is some sort of “familial” bond I feel. When with Brigitte in game, she says specific lines to her that she only has to certain heroes. Brigitte being one of them and their interactions are not more than very “familial” as well.

However, only with them it seems does she open up in some way. I wish we had more info on this, but I personally head canon she was taken in by the Lindholms (hence why she visited Torbjorn when he was in the hospital after the White Dome incident at only the tender age of 14. How would a 14 year old know a man well into his 30’s? She also was an orphan so it would make sense he might have adopted her considering he has a bunch of kids) and that is why she comments on “Ingrid’s pies” and how she misses them for holidays. She sees them regularly it seems. She knows Reinhardt as well.

That seems to be the only connection she really has. As as for the others? Not sure. Genji we know she talks with a lot and communicates with so that is another, but other than that? She has a small knit circle. It’s odd she doesn’t really talk to Rein too much either or knows what was going on, as he is just as close to the Lindholms and herself.

1 Like

Regarding Genji, Zenyatta is the one who guides him mentally and emotionally later on in his role as the mentor so most definitely Angela did not take the role no matter the ’ shipping wowzers ’ people tend to throw around as if Genji never chose to join the Shambali instead of following Angela.

I can only speak after reading lore parts myself, I cannot be creative enough to guess the past unfortunately but the sharing sprays of Moira and Mercy suggest me that they did know each other well. Sharing sprays is something like Junkrat / Roadhog, Reaper / Soldier and Genji / Hanzo have. These examples of duos have serious connections with each other as friends and enemies.

Whenever and if the writers want to expand Mercy’s and Moira’s interactions, that’s up to them. Of course, such thing requires the decision of them to stop focusing on Genji for three years straight.

2 Likes

They are just too different: pacifist doctor and bloody assassin. Genji was trained through his life to become stealth killer, that has no remorse for taking lives.

While Genji could gain some kind of romantic attraction through his near-death experience, it’s unlikely to develop into anything serious, let alone be mutual. We can safely assume, that last thing Genji saw, before losing consciousness from his wounds, was Mercy in her angel-themed suit.

1 Like

Being different doesn’t stop people from shipping Widow x Tracer. :smirk:

Besides, outside of Blackwatch, Genji’s history doesn’t read like a cold blooded assassin. He excelled at his ninja training, but wasn’t interested at all in the family’s illegal business. “…he spent most of his time pursuing a playboy lifestyle. Many within the clan considered the carefree Genji to be a dangerous liability, and they resented his father for coddling and protecting him.”

1 Like

He still trained in killing, but he didn’t want to take responsibilities. It’s very likely, that he was interested in killing, but he lacked interest in managing his family’s business, as was expected by tradition and his relatives. Which, eventually, led to him being nearly killed by Hanzo.

oh my god, a 6-year age difference between two consenting adults in the same stage of their life! how scandalous! /s

2 Likes

As much as lot of people like myself would like to ignore Gency implications that doctor and patient/former patient with ongoing mental health issues might have secret relationship, they lay it out really thick here with the dinner line and how tracer teases Genji how chummy he’s with mercy and he tries to deflect that.

Genji doesn’t initiate any lines with anybody else on the cast but Mercy, aside from one one and he has very few lines compared to the rest. Even if he quips in on other lines, this is done on purpose that he never initiates conversations with anybody else. Like rest of them don’t exist. Like he doesn’t actually spar with tracer and consider her a friend too. Like Tracer doesn’t point out that genji talks to them and mercy doesn’t actually point out that Genji likes them all better.

Yet genji still only talks to mercy. Huh.

It’s pointed out many times he’s very grateful to mercy for saving his life and this honestly strikes me as transferring feelings of being saved and cared into love. It can happen to patients in real life. I don’t see how that’s not problematic if Mercy was to take advantage of those feelings. Developing feelings for one’s saviour is probably the worst kind of overused trope to boot.

Another is that majority of the lines are hidden behind grindy playthrough times and harder difficulties unlike Retribution and Uprising, which had plenty interactions even if you had never done the event before, but the majority but for few lines were never hidden. And the first lines you will be hearing at the gency lines.

What this event does is promote Gency at the frontline and lore as an afterthought that you have to do a lot of grinding for, compared to previous events, and I don’t like the implication that an important lore event is used to push fanservice firstly and lore secondary. Even the gameplay is something to criticise about.

Bonus:
Mercy: “The wind is picking up, it’s hard to stay airborne”

Yet you can pick up an adult cyberneticized male that has tons of metal plating with zero issues?

I’m calling BS on the cinematic then, completely and utterly unneccesary addition that even fights against the canon voicelines.

But it was added to promote Gency. And the cinematics ate most of their time and budget.

Go figure. :roll_eyes:

Edit: The characterization of Genji is also odd on this. One point he’s funny and playing innocent about why Venice mission went wrong and how Max likes to look at his rum collection, another is when he tells dramatically he doesn’t want to talk to his old Blackwatch team and being edgy about how Max will talk and still feeling like his new cybernetics don’t feel like part of his body, then lines where it’ll be his pleasure to offer mercy dinner. And then not initiating lines with the team even when he apparently talks to them.

I can’t honestly tell what his issues are anymore. Is he angry anymore? Why is his body dysphoria just kind of skipped around? He’s pissed that he can’t kick Max’s butt because he needs to be brought back intact sure and he hates wealthy criminals.

Genji is confusing on this event and one part is because he’s so chummy with mercy and supposedly in better spirits but he’s not showing it for the rest.

7 Likes

It was quiet weather during cinematic, storm begins afterwards.

1 Like

I can’t see soldier and tracer being you know what but it is a thing apparently :woman_shrugging:

It took me at least 6 entire playthroughs to start hearing those interactions, The only reason I know they exist is because people keep bringing them up. The only time I hear these interactions now is on very rare occasions and playing a harder difficulty.

op and Dawn2Dusk i agree so much with both of y’all. i never hopped on the gency train myself for the very same reason of the ethics regarding the pair (and have come to see Mercy as a lesbian) and how uncharacteristic for BOTH of them it would be to develop a romantic relationship.

what many people who enjoy gency also seem to miss or leave out, is that after genji was rebuilt, he was depressed for a very long time and could not stand what he’d become. he hated himself and his new body and didn’t know peace until he met Zenyatta, whom it has also taken a while before Genji could love and accept himself again.

it wouldn’t be unrealistic to assume that Genji would harbor some animosity or anger towards Mercy for her role in his new body, BUT, likely with his given therapy from Zenyatta he is/had desperately trying/tried to unlearn, and would want to make amends and make it up to her by being friendly towards her and appreciating her now, hence i can understand a budding friendship between them that forever remains platonic.

i am totally fine with Blizzard wanting to go in this direction, but because of what’s been mentioned and given their history, romantic interest between them does not feel genuine or realistic in any sense of the word to me.

10 Likes

One might think she’d have trouble staying airborne when carrying around a cyborg ninja too but I guess not. =p