Why I can't see Gency happening

And don’t forget that I’m the one with 7 years of experience with being an injured person’s caregiver. For bonus points, this includes my “hot young brunette” years.

It’s about as romantic as scooping out a litter box.

that more tells about you personally. Some might be different. People can have their fetishes

…aaaaand that tells me more about you personally than I would like to know. I am very glad you never came under my care during my tenure.

1 Like

Our personal real life experiences have no impact on the fictitious futuristic world of Overwatch and it’s inhabitants. If the writers want them to ship then they’ll ship. If they don’t then they won’t. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

i, personally, can’t even feel anything but disgust towards humans, you’d had nothing to worry

Pardon me for the hostility. After spending so long as a caregiver, I feel unsafe around people who fetishize the medical profession.

1 Like

These are valid concerns in modern medicine, but in the far flung future of Overwatch, Mercy may very well not have needed to get into any of that nitty gritty caregiving.

What with hard-light machines, perfect nano-tech, Omnics, and magic yellow healy-do’s, it’s entirely possible that his care was so automated, the good doctor never had the chance to see him in that desensitized way.

1 Like

Mercy isn’t really genjis caretaker

She fixed him and he went on with his life off to meet Zenyatta to find peace with his new self.

She isn’t running around babysitting him. He’s fine now

I don’t see any reason for genji not to fall for someone who saved his life and helped him walk again. Kindness that clearly he wasn’t shown ever back in the shimada clan

3 Likes

If “she fixed him”, there’s the implication that she was his caretaker in order to do it. Genji didn’t recover from losing 2/3 of his body overnight.

Ahh! You have summed up all of my feelings as to how I look at this ship.

I agree!

1 Like

You forget that this is in the future where cybernetic enhancements are as common as phones and medical technology has advanced to the point of being able to magically heal up gunshot wounds in 5 seconds.

It probably took about a day for them to get him back from unconcioisness so they could ask for his consent to turn him into a cyborg then do that process in about a day or less.

After all that was said and done there wouldn’t be all that much caretaking needed to be done aside from maybe mercy needing to take some time to make sure he doesn’t fall down a flight of stairs or something while getting use to his new cybernetic body

It’s not like he was a vegetable for months or anything.

3 Likes

Well, these are all guesses at this point. Who really knows? We lack the lore inside scoop to these questions.

1 Like

I worked in hospice for a while and the doctors are not the ones doing the cleaning and the caring for patients! Mercy was his surgeon, and then his care was transferred to nurses, physical therapists, STNAs, etc. She probably checked on him frequently, but friends do that too. She just had a bigger interest in the medical part of his healing.

You’re right to talk about it being weird for them to be romantically involved, but your argument kind of falls flat. Mercy was only his surgeon, and she probably didn’t even have much to do with the cybernetics beyond any nanotechnology it needed with regards to healing. And since Genji has no self-healing, I doubt she even did that.

10 Likes

I would say you are right if she is his caregiver she is not.
She takes in people all the time. What makes genji think he is special nothing. Genji likes her for who she is. She helped when no one else did. She likes to talk with him while other dont because of what he become. Mercy’s parents were killed and same goes with genji so they both can relate.
The thing about genji being a killer or edgelord or someone who promotes violence is false. Literally I dont think he ever used his assassin training except for overwatch.
You might say but but his blackwatch skin he look like an edge lord he acts as it in the retirbution.

1. he was like that after his own brother LITERALLY KILLED HIM
  2. He had so much rage his brother would do such a thing (i mean I WOULD)
  3. he doesnt stay on black watch team and join overwatchs strike and is a prominent member of it from what it seems.

He had so much rage for his brother but mercy helped him extinguish it. You might say zen helped him there etc. IT LITERALLY SAYS HE HELPED GENJI ACCEPT WHO HE WAS HALF MAN HALF MACHINE nothing about not killing his brother. It was mercy who influenced him not to be vengeful.

Also I wouldlike to point the only two people besides winston and tracer who kept in touch together after overwatch’s fall were them. from what it seemed in reflections comic genji sent mercy a letter and mercy read it with happiness which is just heart warming and amazing no other character has that.

pharmercy is wrong in so many cases
where do I start
6 year difference between the two.
mercy literally worked with her mother just feels weird
pharah is a military fighter who knows the only way to enforce justice is through war she might not promote but hell thats her first choice. Mercy is not like that mercy believe in second choices. I believe that relation ship would end up being hella toxic because of how polar opposite they are. There is good in being different but that doesnt mean fighting wont occur. and in their case it will happen alot

ps they didnt even confirm that genji and mercy are thing so idk why you people are going crazy over it

3 Likes

They worked together for many years afterwards. Maybe it happened much later, not around that time.

Also with their crazy nanobot healing it might not have been as gross as actual medicine can be.

2 Likes

rebuilding most of a guy’s body because his brother almost killed him is very different from taking care of people who can’t take care of themselves. There’s definitely physical therapy involved too. Lots of it.

1 Like

Genji also couldn’t take care of himself at first, no way.

Who says Mercy does all the cleaning and stuff? She’s a doctor not a nurse.

5 Likes

But even after care and treatment, Genji and Mercy remain very close and are in contact with one another. They even go on dinner dates and send boxes of chocolates to each other.

It seems like Blizzard really wants to make it a thing.

I have given my reasons why I don’t personally ship Gency.

I really don’t have a problem with others doing it, it makes them happy and shippers are gonna ship no matter what you do. Plus the gency community has made some super adorable fanart, ngl.

I would not be happy if it was canon, however. I think it would undermine what we already know of Mercy’s character and reduce her to “genji’s arm candy”, since she really doesn’t have that much lore for herself.

3 Likes