Why I can't see Gency happening

This is coming from a personal place but…

There is nothing romantic about being an injured person’s caregiver. Or needing a caregiver in the first place. In fact, I’d call it one of the biggest possible turnoffs.

Source: I worked as a caregiver in the healthcare field for 7 years. I have plenty of up close and personal experience looking after a person’s hygiene and physical requirements when they cannot do so for themselves.

Being responsible for a person like that changes how you see them. You spend every day feeding them, clothing them, measuring their vital signs and getting an eyeful of their private parts from every angle because you’re the one who has to clean them so they don’t get skin ulcers. You eventually stop seeing them as private parts. To a caregiver’s perception, they are simply lumps of flesh that need to be sanitized every few hours.

It’s like looking after a giant infant who is way past the stage where the goo goo eyes makes up for all the trouble, and while the reaction of a Total Care Patient (what healthcare calls patients who can’t do anything for themselves) to things like needing someone else to wipe their butt varies, it always wears on the caregiver over time. There’s a special kind of apathy that you develop after hearing variations of “I’m really really sorry, but I’ve got to go to the bathroom and I need you to hold the urinal bucket up to me because I am physically unable to do it on my own” for the 4398347189th time. It’s like hearing “hey, could you pass the pepper shaker”.

Seeing as Genji lost everything but his torso and one arm (a very mangled arm, judging by the remains in his blackwatch skin), he would have needed a lot of this kind of care. If Mercy was the one to provide it, I’m very certain that she would have been desensitized to any perceptions of him as a romantic partner. She spent every day cleaning that junk, there would be no hurry to see it again.

Edit: I forgot that I haven’t even mentioned Genji’s side as the one needing the care. In my experience, patients who are new to the whole “I physically can’t look after my own hygiene anymore and need someone else to do it for me” feel humiliated having to ask a stranger to do extremely up close and personal things like put a bedpan beneath them. I won’t go into more details, but being the person they have to ask alters perceptions both ways, even after the patient becomes familiar with their caregiver.

36 Likes

That doesn’t have to be the basis for their relationship.

That’s fair, but people who are in a committed relationship should be able to deal with seeing each other at their worst, so ideally that wouldn’t stop them.

…why am I defending a ship I don’t even ship so much lately? XD

13 Likes

My main point is how being someone’s caregiver alters your perception of them.

Seeing someone at their worst is one thing, being the one who is responsible for brushing their teeth, washing their face, wiping them down with a rag every other day (which is misleadingly called a “sponge bath”), putting a bedpan underneath them every time they have to use the toilet, cleaning the bedpan out afterwards, etc, etc, is another kettle of fish entirely.

And I haven’t even mentioned Genji’s side as the one needing the care. In my experience, patients who are new to the whole “I physically can’t look after my own hygiene anymore and need someone else to do it for me” feel humiliated when they have to ask me to put a bedpan beneath them. I won’t go into more details, but being the person they have to ask alters perceptions both ways.

3 Likes

Maybe it just doesn’t bother Mercy anymore since she’s dealt with this stuff 1000s of times. She’s at a point where she can look past the “ewwww it’s icky, I have to clean people” phase

3 Likes

People like to treat it like some sort of doctor fetish. In reality, its just how they met.

Either way, people are going to complain about this nomatter what stance you take.

I fully get the logic of your post / scenario. I mean, it does make sense.

But I think ultimately what you’re describing isn’t a universal reaction to the situation. Not everyone would feel that way. (I mean, there are really weird adult-baby fetish people and … ok, I’m gonna stop there. I think you get my point. XD)

Besides, we don’t know exactly how much he needed that type of care. And we don’t know if Mercy was specifically the one to give it to him if so- was probably more likely a team of shift nurses.

Also, the movie Misery should probably be mentioned. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

You get out of that phase real fast in healthcare. Please read the part of the op that describes becoming desensitized to that kind of stuff.

It’s not about “eeew, it’s icky”. Please re-read the op for the actual point.

1 Like

I just don’t know if Mercy was involved in Genjis case to be desensitized to it to be honest. We know she helped but as the head of medical research that could mean a lot of things.

Like, I doubt she was a first responder, unless she just so happened to be hanging out in Japan when Genji got assaulted.

It’s unlikely she was his primary surgeon or physician either. Again, as the head of an entire branch of OW, it seems likely that even if she took a personal interest in the case, she would simply give her instructions to another surgeon.

The most I can see her being involved would be in the same way a hospital administrator would be. Or maybe she helped design his cyborg body (with torbs help probably).

And now I’m frustrated that we haven’t received this lore information yet. It would honestly clear a lot up for the community.

27 Likes

Considering we don’t know Genji’s full recovery process, it seems kinda bad to automatically assume that their interaction was the same as today’s standards. We know the two of them write to each other on a regular basis, so the two of them must have some kind of connection. Even if it’s just Mercy checking on him, it shows she still cares about his well being.

Genji’s recovery process, on the things we do know, was not kind as Genji was having an internal turmoil with him now being part machine. Mercy may have been a soothing voice to help ease him before he went off and found Zenyatta and the monks.

We don’t know how Genji’s body works now, considering we really don’t have an equivalent today. He may not even eat food food, but rather something else that can provide nutrition and energy to power his body. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t eat food, but it just shows that Genji, biologically, is a mystery as he is mostly machine and has the spirit of the dragon.

Now please note, I’m not denouncing your expertise with helping people, but you have to realize that Overwatch’s world is much different than ours. Thing can be very different than how we do it.

15 Likes

These are all things that plenty of people end up having to do for their significant other, either due to age, injuries, disabilities, etc. It’s fully possible to have a loving relationship despite having to do these things for them.

Again, people do this for their significant other, and I imagine to a lot of people it would be much less embarrassing when handled by someone they know very well and won’t judge them.

3 Likes

They may never had to go though that. After care of cybernetics could be a VERY different kettle of fish. Especially at the time overwatch is set.

It isn’t as if the cybernetic parts would get ulcers.

2 Likes

Genji still has his “private parts”. He can get skin ulcers.

Caring for a significant other won’t make them any less your significant other… is what I want to say. But a common wisdom among caregivers is to not do it for your significant other. Or anyone you love, really. Hire or assign someone else, because doing it yourself will impact your relationship.

I have been warned by many care-giving veterans who have done it themselves and regretted it, and I now pass this knowledge to you.

1 Like

WARNING TL;DR

It’s not just these facts, but the fact that she is a pacifist and that until he met Zen, was still into killing or would kill for the sake of doing so. It goes against her character from what we know and because we know so little on her, cannot make a proper judgement call as to how she really is or what she thinks. All we can go off on is what we know currently, which is that she hates violence and fighting, yet Genji is one of the strongest (if not the toughest at least) members of OW, hence why he interrogated Maximilian. Now, there are different types of pacifist, and which she is depends (as she is willing to kill with a gun but probably ONLY if she needs too) so it’s hard to say where she actually stands on this. However, being an “Advocate of Peace” should speak volumes as to where she stands on the subject.

Another thing here is that she is very much ethical and puts her work above all things. A workaholic. I am assuming she really does as in Reflections, we can see she is still helping people from all over the world, and Genji was I am guessing, training with Zen. The fact she would even think about going into a relationship is very un-character like of her, regarding both ways. One regarding morals and ethics as where she is a doctor first and foremost and that they very fully believe in not dating their patients, now or former, despite what rules have been changed. She is very much a “stickler” to rules for when it comes to the medical field (Hence why is very much against Moira and her ideals. Despite Moira being correct, in every way, as her science brings results, she is very much immoral and unethical in her research as a whole) If Mercy just throws these principles, that are her life’s work, out the door for a “relationship” then she herself would be a hypocrite and it would damage her character since she holds a high stand as to who she is. Even if in the future this is ok, it seems Mercy is very much old school in her ways and would not conform so easily.

For these reasons alone, I would like to believe, after thinking about it for a while, that Gency is no more than a very close friendship that both benefit from. The “I respect you and care for you as a best friend since we both are lonely and have nobody to understand us. You comfort me since you saved me and medical is something I want to listen to since it makes me feel assured and I comfort you because I listen to your medical talk when no one else will which you benefit from by having someone understand you now” It’s as if they both benefit from something hence why both keep each other close.

Genji is overly grateful she saved him and in return will listen to her speak as it keeps him calm since he was afraid of dying and it scarred him. This is very much evident through Retribution as he was a changed person after his near death experience. He missed being able to live so much that he agreed to work for OW so that he could walk again.

So, by talking to Mercy, this in turn helps him mentally in ways which seems to be the reason why he is very much attached to her, along with the fact she saved him (Though Zen could technically be argued that he is the teacher of his mental state, which he indeed also did help, Zen could also be considered however the teacher of his spiritual side more so) He feels somewhat obligated right now to her since she recently saved him and he will always cherish that. Now, whether this is a good thing or bad thing is up to determination upon one’s own morals, but for me, I find it that all he seeks is comforting.

When it comes to Mercy now, it seems she very much is seeking the attention of another who would be willing to listen to her speak about what she is so passionate about. That being her science and medicinal practices. She mentions to Genji that her talk is “dry” when it comes to her speaking about her life’s work, but to Genji, it isn’t (hence he finds possible comfort in it and enjoys it) Because of this, she is willing to keep him around. She even says “The lengths I will go to to find somebody willing to talk to me” shows you that even she herself is surprised at what she will do for another constantly, even if she doesn’t want to, to keep that person around so that they acknowledge her and see her for the person she is. That is very much a longing. A drive. She is lonely and possibly saddened that she cannot find people to talk to. She is up at night late, possibly doing work, so again, she is a workaholic, and knowing that her work means that much but can’t talk to anyone because she is too smart or because it’s “boring” to some people make it hard for her. She seeks and confides in Genji because he gives her that comfort to be herself and she knows he will listen when no one else would.

In conclusion? While some may find this a “romantic one” I am now seeing a light of another possibility. One that is a deeper friendship and both acknowledge one another and appreciate what the other does/did for them. While the undertones are suggestive in themselves, I am seeing that it could be a very sweet and meaningful connection. Platonic but they care deeply for on another. I personally prefer this outlook on Gency as opposed to the romantic one people want only because a bond like that, to me, is precious and not much of that is seen between a male and female without falling in love in media. I hope they keep the bond they have but I also hope they find there are others out there who understand them as well. I am hoping this remains a Platonic connection and a friendship that lasts to prove males and females can be friends without society jumping down them.

22 Likes

This is a very sweet and meaningful interpretation of Genji and Mercy’s relationship and I am 100% here for it.

5 Likes

Its possible Mercy could have given him cyber enhancements

4 Likes

No, Chu confirmed that he still has his private parts.

1 Like

I see Mercy is a traditionalist

2 Likes

it does if she’s hot blonde. Genji is japanese, don’t forget. In Persona 5 you can romance your teacher or doctor that sells you medicine :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you! It took me a while to figure this out, one that I can personally be agreeable upon but also see in the undertones of their conversations. I don’t want to see it as “Oh Gency! They are SO in love! Look at them! They will date, then marry and have 20 kids!” which I find immature and just people gushing over their ship.

I also do not like to see it as, as you’ve mentioned, an inept part of writing lore that will ruin the characters that we know so far depending upon who they are. The whole thing with Mercy being a doctor with her patient, the fact she likes a killer and she is a pacifist, along with abandoning her life’s practice that she’s worked so hard to do, and joined OW for, to just with and fall in love with some guy is another something I cannot get behind.

This is mostly due to lack of lore (mostly on Mercy’s end) and if we had answers? We would know what exactly is going on. I couldn’t also stand the fact that if this say, were a relationship and to be hinting at canon, that the whole thing was just passed on without any build up whatsoever in lore, to give us, as the fans, an understanding as to who they are, and who Mercy is, and how this love started, just for her to be used as “GF fodder” for Genji or to have the ship made on a whim. This was my biggest pet peeve as this is something writers whom can write, do not just jump into. It’s basic writing 101. As a occasional writer, I do a lot of character development and this by far, lacks so much in terms of the relationship that it upset me because of the possibilities it could have IF we had the answers to where she stands with him currently (Is he still her patient?)

I just hope this remains platonic or in this case, can be interpretated by whomever whichever way, and not made canon by the author.

7 Likes