Why does Pharah have Ana’s last name?

I’ve always wondered this. At first I thought that maybe Ana and Sam never married, but in Bastet it was revealed they once were. So why is Pharah Amari instead of [insert Sam’s surname] ?

1 Like

Because Ana and Pharah don’t have to take Sam’s surname.

9 Likes

its not a rule that you NEED to take your husbands last name, its just traditional.

13 Likes

I have my dad’s last name, and my sister has my mom’s last name. It’s not weird.

3 Likes

Because Ana didn’t want to take her husband’s last name and he was fine with that. Same as many families.

5 Likes

Sometimes we can meet someone with two surnames: the first one is his/her, the second one is his/her wife/husband.
For example: Maria Skłodowska-Curie.
Polish woman who was married French man. She discovered one chemical element and named it Polon - to glory her country Poland.

1 Like

We don’t actually know that’s not Sam’s last name. It could be Samuel Amari.

1 Like

The lead writer tweeted saying it’s Ana’s last name though!

As in, it’s specifically Ana’s? Do you have a link to that tweet? If so, hit me with it.

When I was born my mom had a different last name than my dad bc when they got married my mom kept her old name since she had other kids w/ a past husband and wanted to keep the same last name as the kids/my half siblings. So when I was born the hospital gave me the last name of my moms ex husband(and her last name) on accident instead of my dads last name lol I’m told it was awkward and funny. But my mom told me that hospitals give newborns the same last name as their mom, which isn’t what i thought before she told me that because it always seems like kids take their dads last name

1 Like

This is pretty common. I don’t see how this is surprising now a days but I guess some people may not be exposed to this reality in their community? Some cultures prob still think not taking the father surname is taboo.

Canada is also pretty progressive and Ana is one bad-as Mama so it seems pretty logical.

This was in response to a question asking if Amari was Ana’s name or Pharah’s father’s (Sam’s) surname.

4 Likes

Pharah chose to take her mother’s last name.

35 Likes

I am the first heart like. No one can take this from me.

Why on Earth would she do that? Why’d ya have to make it weird? Lol

Jk

1 Like

Honor her mother maybe.

1 Like

Maybe after Ana’s “death”? IDK

1 Like

That was my thoughts. Ana did fake her death for years.

1 Like

Yeah it took me a moment because I forgot Ana was dead there for minute. :sweat_smile: And changing your last name in adulthood to a parent’s sounded pretty strange outside of a context like that.

Coolio.