Why do you continue playing?

The game is fun. Isn’t that the only reason needed?

2 Likes

and I will answer you in a polite way, I hope it doesn’t seem provocative :grimacing::

It is inevitable. we are talking about a live service game, just as every feature that is added inevitably changes it, even those behind it can change. and let’s be clear: changing development can be bad for the new point of view just as it can be better from other points of view.

For example… although I considered Jeff Kaplan very good at communicating with the community, I didn’t define him as consistent with some of his development choices and he tended not to admit that he was wrong about something. he called it “evolution” rather than “we made a mistake”. Keller (much less immersed in the unity of his community) I see him react with timely “ok, all community an we didn’t like this thing, let’s change it”, admitting however that something unpleasant had happened. and a subtle difference but in reality it changes quite a bit the way in which one admits to atar managing a project. And kaplan, although an EXCELLENT communicator to have formed a loyal community… I also remember him as the one who in an interview with karq (or stylosa, I don’t remember) implied that the tank/support concept of Brigitte 1.0 was the fault of the community’s will instead of simply admitting that the development team “cheated” in not giving more Tank and Support heroes as soon as possible (and not both in a solution). or that I managed the surplus of dps in the game very badly.

I don’t understand what the point is here: isn’t this always a competitive game? Do you want more “tie, no one wins or loses anything” situations? really, help me understand what you mean. :sweat_smile:

blizzard… but so many other video game companies also don’t know how to do the battle pass model, honestly. :sweat_smile: but unfortunately it’s also the fault of the gaming community that made it famous, as well as Fortnite which (as much as you might hate it) has nevertheless inaugurated a business that evidently works.

I say this as a great opponent of current monetization: we needed a strong middle ground between lootboxing (there’s no point in complaining about it, it wasn’t a viable economy also due to the laws that were arriving in many countries around the world) and current prices. but as long as the community is foolish enough to buy a mythical skin of orisa (the worst of the mythical skins in terms of customization, being almost only recolors) for 70 $ or recolored ow1 skins with coin prices of ow2, or fake legendary skins like moira mime or kiriko hashimoto… the community itself is to blame. ESPECIALLY certain communities that can’t help but collect everything about their waifu no matter what.

it is the price of becoming f2p, which although criticizable by smurfers… has nevertheless increased the number of users connected online.

I agree 100%. and you know what? I, a huge lore reader… I don’t want any more “pve”. I just want a decent story mode. even single player, since the old promise was already very full of skepticism for replayability right from the start (yes, it was talked about since 2019) and the management only made the idea worse.

this is a subjective opinion for a live service. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:people hate and love every single patch since 2016, a live service changes every time. as a pvp game I’m digging it, personally. if anything I hate it when they DO NOT balance the game for long periods of time, like waiting for the next season as happened in the first season of ow1 (shameful) or like the whole period of stasis of ow1 with the usual 32 heroes and the usual maps.

same answer as before: subjective opinion.:unamused:

I’ll take Baptiste, Sojourn and Ashe as examples: complete strangers from the lore who only over time had their narration through short stories or books. and believe me: sojourn between the delayed hype of the pve and the first presentation of her “she’s a black woman with a railgun🤪” don’t give her justice compared to the novel dedicated to her.

lifeweaver with the lore of the Atlantic arcology is progressing, illari needs more info coming soon for the inti warriors, and venture… well, new arrival, let’s wait for developments such as the already mentioned sojourn, ashe and baptiste. you know who has a really bad narrative since ow1? Sigma. his lore has always been immobile, yet he even had a reskin without specifying which narrative arcs would have involved him in the epic ow1.:person_facepalming: and his voicelines are the most generic ever made, justifying it around madness, it’s really unnerving as there There is little written about him, surpassed only by the inconsistency of Kiriko’s age.

I’m having more fun now that I’ve stopped taking the game seriously. I also don’t play as often as I used to.

That said, it’s still a mostly mindless game I play when I can’t decide what else to play.

A widow can guess where this is going.

Its fun to play.

2 Likes

trying to hit a new peak in ranked

It will come back. It has to.

Ok… thread #28371 of someone who cares about inconsequential things, let’s go.

Don’t care.

I assume you meant “pay” to win? Don’t think it is.

Don’t care, don’t buy it.

Never cared about PvE, still don’t.

Yeah but core gameplay is still fun.

There’s a story?

There you go. I don’t actually get your point, though :smile: The only thing you listed that has an impact on my gameplay experience is balance and, while not optimal, it’s still okay.

Gameplay is kinda fun every now and then I guess.

2 Likes

I love jet pack kills with Winston. Ball slam is pretty fun too. That’s pretty much it. I can do that for hours; very cathartic.

So are some of the dead weight and main evil ring leader.

Not for me. Thats entirely subjective.

Entirely optional. I usually ignore it completely.

PvE has always been very very terrible in this game. Peoples’ expectations were simply allowed to run wild, imo. Good riddance!

Been that way since 2016. Welcome to live-service gaming, lol.

Not an RPG, so this stuff has never interested me, and on a few occasions goes against my idea of the hero. I prefer to ignore it, personally.

1 Like

Nostalgia. And to play with friends.

1 Like

Because I enjoy the game. I don’t game much outside of OW2.

I’ve been playing since the release of OW1, and I currently sit at 1600+ hours. Still my favorite, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

1 Like

There are a lot of things I don’t like of this game lately, most of them are not in your lists, but I’m still here because despite everything I still have fun with it and haven’t found any valid alternative yet.

The videogame industry has a problem in delivering better games nowadays so I stick with those games that have been conceived in a better era hoping they won’t get ruined completely.

1 Like

mercy core gameplay is largely unchanged. as long as mercy can still fly around and her healing style stays mostly the same/feels the same I’ll keep playing, though since this is the ONLY thing that keeps me coming back, I very rarely play compared to other games in my library.

I haven’t seriously played in months. Just customs and the occasional match and I’m just bored of it. Some characters are still fun to play but this game is so stale and I want pve.

1. Free game (though I paid it in OW1)
  2. Couldn’t login FF14 currently

I play this crap on and off
Not very happy with how DPSs are so effective with much lower effort
Playing tank still sucks
Most supports are countered by some DPS being picked → Boring
I hate queueing so 0 DPS placement yet
Open Q (QP & Comp) messed up by 5v5, both player-mentality- or role-balance-wised

Going OFF very soon

• IDK about pay2win (assumed typo) but I can use all characters in both QP and Comp.
  • IDC battle pass in this game - I cannot see my skin anyway
  • Balance patches were bad but it will never be good without reverting the hitbox buff
  • PVE is never my thing so IDC again, but payers have every right to complain
  • Sombra after rework is completely “R”
  • IDC about story of this game. Story need to synchronize with gameplay which I dont feel much in OW, 1 or 2

Friends and fun.

Side note: This topic is posted so often lol, and I promise this isn’t a jab at you OP, I’m just surprised how often this question is asked.

1 Like

Because I have fun when I play. I don’t really need more reason than that.

1 Like

Honestly, I feel like I’m just waiting for another genuinely good game to come out that I can switch over to. But nobody makes good games anymore, at least not the kind I’m into, not yet.

I’m sticking with OW mostly because it’s a comfort game that I’m good at and I can enjoy it both casually with friends, and as a more complex competitive game that rewards skill expression.
But it’s only barely that I’m hanging on, even tho it’s by far the game I play most. Last game I got properly invested in was CP77, but nothing else since then has peaked my interest.

Still hoping for some actually great tactical battle royale game to come out, that’s actually worthy of 2024 quality and not 2016 like PUBG etc.

Because my friends keep playing. If they played something else, so would I. As to why they keep playing, I have no clue.

1 Like

Heroes of the Storm.