Why Are Plat Players Dissed So Much By The Community?

Why do Plat players get such a bad rep? There are three ranks below Plat, yet nobody thrash talks Bronze, Silver, or Gold players this much. The “Plat chat” expression exists for a reason.

Why target Plat players, specifically?

2 Likes

They are the easiest to pick on, since plat means above average. However trash talking any rank is bad.

Also being above average in a game like OW is honestly quite impressive.

Edit:
I was wrong about plat being average, it is actually above average.

4 Likes

They’re usually the lowest rank that is brave enough to have takes which are usually not good, gold and below usually are too low to have any takes but for some reason plat is where people get brave enough to start talking

15 Likes

onm they make the weirdest takes and are so admant to balance around that rank

3 Likes

What? Gold is the average rank what?

1 Like

is in silver dps cutely

3 Likes

I believe plat is actually average. Gold is below average.

Because as someone who climbed to plat once, it was a far worse experience than gold rank. It single handedly put a stop to my desire to climb in ranked.

Plat is the first rank where people really start bashing others for not playing the heroes people play at master rank. Plat is that one rank, where everyone is just a hair above average, but have the ego of a grandmaster player. Everyone blames everyone else, except themselves. It was annoying as all heck.

5 Likes

Because plat players will talk about the game like they’re playing in GM or OWL, when they’re just barely above average.

Also, it’s the most toxic rank because plat is gold players thrilled they climbed out of gold and diamond players on perma-tilt because they fell out of diamond…

10 Likes

idk man, gold players are like the typical average players considering they make up the largest percentile out of all ranks. i think plat is like the 2nd, more than silver in fact. gold being average and plat being above average.

EDIT: Also gold is like the bread and butter of learning the ins and outs of overwatch, the heroes, developing better game sense, etc.

The typical plat player is basically the nerdy kid from Polar Express.

4 Likes

Actually that is incorrect as plat makes up the majority of players.

Gold means you are learning but you still have problems. Plat means you are good in most areas but they are not refined.

most plat players pretend to think they know what theyre talking about which just becomes cringey when they post such annoying topics like nerf x hero because they cant counter them.

2 Likes

No mate, the SR rank is actually around 4,7 max, so the average, including player population spreads is around 2100 SR.

Plats are actually above average thats why they get so much trash: Because to GMs and Masters, Plats are players that believe they are “cooler” than the average but they still dont compare to them.

Thats where the “elitism” and trash talk about Plats come from: Masters and GM.

PS: Those dudes that are actually plats or barely diamonds acting elitist and calling “Plat chat” are quite cringy.

5 Likes

no one above 3k cares about plats hate to break it to you, the only elitism I see is people not wanting to see garbage takes (not every plat player)

Last time I checked most players were in plat, guess that got changed. I’ll double check that.

I do not support elitism of any kind.

Idk, unless you have the current demographics of the playerbase of each rank that prove otherwise then I’ll change my mind. Just for now, I’ve been seeing similar demographics such as this. I know gold and plat make up most of the fanbase but gold had always had more and I’ve always found it average rank (especially how most newcomers are usually placed like around silver/gold rankings).

I couldn’t find any 2020 demographics but this is the best I got.

1 Like

Remember when you thought being mid silver was cool? Then you joined the forums and were like, oh frick, I’m not even remotely cool. 2000 of the 5 people on the forums are in t500. Wait what?

is in bronze support cutely

2 Likes

That is not surprising since because of open queue and role queue the rank distribution will be very messy.

Moat people cannot work in a team, so if you can already do that then that is impressive. Even more so if you can do it without throwing a fit or being toxic.

“Regular titles” as you put it give more power to a single player not a group.

1 Like