What's with all the sniper hate?

Seriously, if it’s not Mercy, Genji, Tracer, flankers, or whatever…

It’s apparently snipers.

I hate to break it to you… but… just kill the sniper.

It’s not just DPS with the magical power to fend off or kill snipers.

SUPPORT CATEGORY SNIPER COUNTERS

• Zen has enough range to take out the sniper.
  • Lucio can harass the sniper or just give the sniper pressure by spamming bullets at them.
  • Mercy can use her pistol or damage boost somebody who can take out the sniper.
  • Baptise can immortality field, shoot at the sniper, and spam heal anybody harassing the sniper.
  • Ana is a sniper in herself. If you are grouping the sniper hate to a category, you are also hating on Ana. If you exclude Ana that is a double standard.
  • Brig can’t do much, but still has a shield to get close.
  • Moira can throw orbs at the sniper to apply pressure. Not much else she can do.

TANK CATEGORY SNIPER COUNTERS

• Dva is a dive tank, that should be self explanatory.
  • Winston is also a dive tank.
  • Orisa has range, and is perfectly capable of killing the sniper.
  • Wrecking Ball is a dive tank.
  • Roadhog can’t do much, but has a hook if the sniper is reachable.
  • Rein also can’t do much, but can fire strike and shield his team.
  • Zarya can haul her right click at the sniper and bubble herself and the team.

There are so many things presented to you to deal with the sniper. Everything in the game shouldn’t be handed to you, adapt.

10 Likes

People dont like getting 1 tapped by snipers with infinite range and require 0 gamesense to play, If you dive on any sniper that is out of position they all have big movement abilitys (Grapple/Leap+wall climb/Ashes Shotgun). Unlike other dps heroes they can consistently make bad plays and be rewarded.

In theory there is a lot of counterplay but the higher you climb the quicker you realise a lot just arent viable. Its either outsnipe them or make the whole team dive 1 target and hope the other 5 members on the other team are AFK.

What made Overwatch different for an First Person Action game is that you arent meant to just click heads and win (CSGO/COD).

66 Likes

People are just envious of a good sniper. Like me. As the OP said, countering is definitely a good choice against a sniper.

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

4 Likes

Players just doesn’t like the (random) oneshots. Can you blame them? A sniper only has to hit you once.

I think it’s just the oneshots that players hate.

I mean, Doomfist was pretty hated for his deadly combo and oneshot as well.

6 Likes

Disagree with this. Widow requires plenty of gamesense to play her. The widow will be just as punished if she is out of position, etc.

If she’s so easy, why don’t you attempt to play her?

This is far from true. There are plenty of ways I’ve listed that are ways to deal with her and are effective. I’ll admit a good bit don’t become as viable in higher ranks, but if it’s in a higher rank, there is no excuse for a whole team of GMs not being able to deal with one widow.

I wouldn’t be surprised at this point.

I can get behind one shot hates, but they just label Widow as this skillless easy mode press W hero that annoys me. Besides, there are plenty of other one shots in the game and some heroes just rely on one shots. If you were to remove Widows oneshots she would be garbage.

1 Like

People want to be able to be as overly aggro as they want and not worry about sightlines. Also i think some of them are jealous of people who can play snipers well.

Hanzo is slightly busted though, not because of his one shot but because Storm Arrows and Leap make him virtually immune to getting dove on.

There is also the issue of OW snipers being super mobile, which is pretty unusual design since snipers are usually slow and immobile to make up for their damage, but with OW’s pace and mobilty, they’d be totally useless if they weren’t.

1 Like

right now, widow is dominating in GM every dps and most supports :wink: Snipers are getting too much value and have too less counterplay.

tell me, is it fair that a perfectly good rhein player gets outplayed by snipers just cause their char is much stronger the higher you go? Or Winston is a better example. Or take Soldier, or Tracer , or even other cahrs.

2 Likes

Yea let me take down a widow with a zarya right click

17 Likes

TL;DR Answer: Snipers in Overwatch are VERY badly designed. They have checks, but no counters at all.

For example, in most games? When you catch a sniper out of position, they’re screwed. Often times relying on a sidearm, or melee weapon for defense. But, being as this Overwatch. The devs thought it was intelligent to provide escape tools for EVERY sniper. Whether it be: Knock-back gun, grappling hook, air dashing, wall climbing, sleep dart, etc. Just garbage design, tbh.

25 Likes

Brilliant! You should coach the T500 players that fight her in 95% of their games.

20 Likes

People think Widow is Over Powered.

I only find her an Occasional Problem.

It sounds silly, but you gotta admit it’s the ultimate way to flex (which makes sense since you’re playing Zarya) on a sniper, I’ve actually managed to pull it off a few times somehow.

1 Like

This is pretty true at this point.

He just has too much in his kit I think. I honestly preferred old Hanzo as a Hanzo main. Scatter toke a lot more skill than it was accounted for.

I would say it’s fair for Widow to have that much mobility. She kinda really needs that grapple to do her thing. Maybe they could do something interesting with her and instead of just flinging up, she can’t get as high but instead her grapple sticks to the wall and she can move up and down with the hook attached to a wall. This would lower her mobility but still make her viable.

You obviously couldn’t take her down, but you could apply pressure.

I’ll admit Hanzo has too much mobility and Widow could probably do off with mobility decreases. However the Widow gets just as punished as a tank if she is out of position. She has escape tools, but it’s not a guarantee get out of everything type tool.

Except they don’t require a whole team to actually deal with her, and I would like to see a statistic that she is being played in that many games.

Exactly, I’ve never seen her as that big of a problem.

This.

1 Like

Widowmaker can also grapple when an Winston jumps after her to another location.

Hanzo can just Cincinnati you with Storm Arrow. Poor Winstons.

I can see why players get annoyed from Snipers.

6 Likes

Also, the snipers in this game oddly enough destroy their supposed “counters” with little to no effort. And the devs just don’t learn; or care. Perfect example would be Scatter Arrow into Storm Arrow. Both obliterate Winston. Even the newest sniper (Ashe) can melt Winston with an automatic shotgun, that’s hip-fired. Why? Because Overwatch logic.

7 Likes

Well, to be fair, Hanzo does comes from what is the equivalent of a Mafia.

Which is where the Winston plays smarter. Jump her when she’s just grappled up to her sniper spot.

I’ll admit Hanzo needs a tone down.

Tell me how Widow can destroy Winston with “little to no effort.” I’ll admit Hanzo needs a tone down though.

Also Ashe was a weird hero to add in the first place. She’s literally just Widow fused with McCree.

Very true. It requires one counter: A better Widow. Perfectly balanced.
… Just really really really really unfun. Also I lied, it’s ~68%, not 95%, but still.

8 Likes

Uhh? I just listed a ton of counters in the post of how to deal with her.

1 Like

As much as I hate widow at least if she kills me I know that she actually had to work for it. Ashe is balanced and could use some qol buffs but hanzo is just a whole extra level of ridiculous. Sniper, tank buster, and can counter flankers pretty well. Ridiculous

2 Likes

You’re forgetting that Widowmaker can hard-scope anyone regardless of range, and the hitbox on Hanzo’s arrows have been broken for a long time.

2 Likes