What's the justification for 10s cooldown on sentry turrets?

Even if you do get the thing actually charged, the awful tickrate is still going to rob you of most of the beam’s DPS to the point where it would have just been better to spam 120 damage orbs constantly.

1 Like

I can’t roll my eyes hard enough.

She’s the only DPS that takes time to charge any weapon. Unless you have a turret nest and someone who can’t hear them cooing to the blue moon, or find an enemy that has already been badly hurt Sym can’t secure any kills in Deathmatch. It’s the same when she flanks. You might get a Widow who is focused somewhere else but that’s it.

2 Likes

People wanted her to be a DPS, she wasn’t designed for that in the first place.
Who’s is fault for that ?

Blizz for making a flawed design

3 Likes

The Devs?

I would have preferred defence but then they got rid of defence.

Personally, she would have been fine in support with her throwable turrets and an ability to conjure up hardlight healthpacks.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldnt mind if they were on a lower cool down. The few times I play sym it does feel like an age before your turrets come off cool down.

At the same time its just one of those things to consider if youre playing sym. I’ve been in a few matches where the syms just fire turrets directly at me hoping it will go behind me like ??? could at least try and position it somewhere else and not just blatantly in front of my eyes? lol Or they fire them off from so far away its really hit or miss whether it lands without someone seeing it first.

I couldn’t agree more. But for the moment, I don’t think the problem lies in her primary fire. It’s the whole character design that is lacking.
You can design a close-range squishy with no viable escape or protection. It can’t work.
That’s why Sym players end up using mostly her right click and turrets, because her left click wouldn’t work fine unless it becomes insanely OP.

Tbh, Bastion, Sym, Hanzo are the good examples of bad character design that can’t be viable unless they are overpowered. We see that well with Hanzo nowadays, and with Bastion super iron clad (thx god it lasted 1 week max).

1 Like

preaching to the choir, pal

Honestly I’d like it if she could depend less on her turrets to do damage. They may be delicate, but they can really hurt and disrupt a team especially when the Symm is doing a good job of placing them. I think that her turrets and their cd is probably the only part of her new kit that I can honestly say is fine.

I’d prefer if she got buffed in other areas, like a primary fire that isn’t garbage, and a tp that doesn’t take a lifetime to deploy.

TIL that turrets can shoot you from across the map. What am I doing wrong?

3 Likes

This is how i like to see it, she has no defensive abilities and protection along with having 200 health, at least zarya can get her damage in bursts while having a invincible bubble to protect herself and having 400 health, zarya also does more damage at maximum charge and it’s not awful against armor, as i said it’s worse in every way, and by reused asset i meant there is literally no difference in how the primary fire feels, it’s just a straight beam, if they replaced the sound effect and the animation to match zarya’s beam then it would be the same.

Also her teleporter is not a mobility ability, you’d just die if you used that to escape someone in the middle of a fight and her turrets are another matter, i’m not just going to fight a symmetra and ingore all those turrets while fighting her, i’d destroy them beforehand and then taker her out and if she wants to throw them at me mid fight then i can just punch them quickly.

2 Likes

Sure and I agree. My main point was that if the devs are going to keep the weapon weak because they expect turrets to be a main and consistent damage source, they’ll need to be buffed.

If the weapon / tp / survivability get buffed and turrets are seen as a supplement (to me they should be) then I don’t think buffs are mandatory.

Blizzard failed with the rework. They prefer sym doesn’t exist.

She can’t have more turrets because her primary fire is so strong.

Honestly i think that sym’s turrets are problematic to balance and ill fitting of the game. I could honestly see a version of sym with a much stronger base kit and no turrets Being really interesting.
If the turrets are kept though i think taking away the slow down affect and improving other aspects of her kit would be nice. Give her the torb treatment were the turret is more of an afterthought. But that is just me, I am open to other suggestions. :slight_smile:

So at the time of engagement your team is essentially a man down for the first 4 seconds? And to you this is good?

Yeah, but Torb’s rework is still a garbage fire. But I guess after a dumpster fire or two, just a flaming waste-basket is seen as an improvement.

I don’t really see how, his primary and secondary fire have been greatly improved, his turret is a bit better then before, his ultimate is a good area denial ultimate, and while he can’t give armor to allies anymore his overload ability is a improvement for armor he can give to himself along with making him more of a dps.

Symmetra on the other hand now has the worst primary fire in the game along with no defensive or mobile abilities.

1 Like

Your post just inspired me for a fix. I just thought of overload and how awesome it is. Sym needs a panic button and we can get one if we play with teleporter. Imagine this:

"Symmetra can now interact with her teleporter immediately to use it. (basically an instant escape and not having to wait for the build time) Symmetra and her allies who use the teleporter are granted 50 shield HP for a short period of time.

Basically, if you’re jumped you can drop a TP and immediately press your interact key to escape. This is also useful for giving you and your team a bit more bulk to initiate / escape.

OO or you can left click to deploy the TP as is, or right click would instantly teleport you to the exit portal! Now that I like.

1 Like

That sounds like a pretty good idea👌

Although i think it would be more interesting for her allies to gain shields when walking through her photon barrier ultimate instead.

The reason for the 10 second cooldown is because of their stackability. Her cooldown can reset WHILE she already has turrets set down, whereas Torb/Sombra’s cooldowns don’t start until after their deployables have been destroyed