What do I have to do to be able to make and reply to threads?

I joined yesterday.

While making a bug report (a category I can make threads in), the forum prevented me from adding more than 2 helpful links, making my bug report worse.

Today I try and reply to a thread, only there’s no reply button. I try to make a thread in the competitive category–I can’t.

Since I deal with poorly designed things all the time, I assume it’s some stupid design decision resulting in this, rather than a bug or me not me missing the reply button. After a quick Google search, I find there’s some hidden trust system, though the forums have no clear explanation of what it is or how to move past it.

Is there a clear criteria somewhere that I’m missing?

Is there a way to view your trust level, or whatever, and see where I am compared to where I want to be?

“Just use the forums” doesn’t help me. I’ve already done that and don’t have time to waste doing things aimlessly, hoping it might move up an invisible trust level.

Update: I found this:

Key point: you need an Overwatch license linked to your account.

I’m yet to test it, but I assume that’s the answer to my issue.

I tried to post in the bottom of the thread, but the thread won’t let me.

Hi! Unfortunately, until you hit certain trust levels, you aren’t technically able to add links. There is a work-around that the Tech Support has suggested. If you use the </> button (hovering should show “preformatted text”) or if you put your link between two of this symbol: ` (should be the button under the esc key, if you don’t know where it is), it will

show your link like this

Here’s the General Forum Things™:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/welcome-to-general-discussion-please-read/118/27

EU Version which discusses some formatting and Trust Levels (which eventually allow you to post links and images):

Trust Level Checker (compliments of Dysvalence):

So far as being unable to post in other threads, this might help:

Happy future posting!

Thanks for your efforts.

As someone who has been using forum software for a very long time, this has to be one of the most poorly designed systems I’ve seen. That a professional company is using it boggles my mind.

An equivalent would be, if you want to turn on a light switch, you have to light candles for five hours first. Or you join a community group, and you can’t talk until you come three times.

I honestly don’t think I’ll bother posting much here. No user should have to do a bunch of random $hit to earn basic things that are a requirement for posting.

until you hit certain trust levels, you aren’t technically able to add links.

The bug category seems exempt, but new users can only post two, it seems. Of course, there are obvious work arounds for that.

There is a work-around that the Tech Support has suggested.

Handy to know. Exasperating that tech support knows about it and it’s still a thing.

And Blizzard use this forum to gather and track community feedback! o_O

I think the link limit/restriction is to keep people from posting things that might be…suspect/dangerous, for lack of a better way to describe it.

And the forum program itself isn’t owned by Blizzard, if I remember what I read write, it’s made by a different company and Blizzard is just using it for their forums.

It is a shame that some of these things aren’t more well known, but at least there are ways to find it, even if it’s just asking around.

I think the link limit/restriction is to keep people from posting things that might be…suspect/dangerous, for lack of a better way to describe it.

Good forum software can catch most of that with the help of a good moderation team.

The biggest problem on a forum isn’t usually spam or questionable links, it’s member behaviour. Humans are still the best way to address that, rather than silly blanket restrictions that cater to the lowest common denominator.

And the forum program itself isn’t owned by Blizzard, if I remember what I read write, it’s made by a different company and Blizzard is just using it for their forums.

Yes. They’re using Discourse. But I assume Blizzard chose that, and I assume they have choice over how they configure what forum members can do. User restrictions aren’t new. I’ve never seen them applied so aggressively. And according to the link you posted, they decay.

Add to that the overly saturated forum text on a patterned background and my mind is pretty boggled.

It is a shame that some of these things aren’t more well known, but at least there are ways to find it, even if it’s just asking around.

It’s not a shame, it’s bad design.

I call it out so strongly because almost every day, I encounter something poorly designed, something that creates frustration, suffering, and wastes time, rather than enhancing human potential. We need to and can do better. And not just on big, grand things, but in little things that we touch and spend time on in every day life, so we can have time and energy to focus on what’s important.

Anyway, thanks.

I hope someone from Blizzard reads this and it gives them pause. Apathy is the enemy of a better future. I understand hosting a popular forum comes with challenges, but this is not the way to address them.